Ropieee - Enable wifi

hmmm… ok. that’s weird. the board reports as being overclocked, hence it’s not recognized as a ‘standard’ Pi 3, which results you not being able to use wifi.

I need to do some internet diggin’ trying to find out what’s going on here.

Harry, just to add that I’m seeing the same screen as Kombat - only Wired showing in the network tab. I think I am using an earlier model of the RPi (the SD card holder is a push/click to release). I am only using it as a display, with a wired connection, so I don’t need WiFi; but I’m intrigued as to why it isn’t showing up in Ropieee.

Feedback is 6c0943404b1bdbff

PS this is on V242

For the unit of Kombat it’s simple: it’s identifying itself (every Pi has a revision number) with a number that’s not officially known to the pi range. Very, very strange.

You probably know, there are two different distributors of RPi 3B: Element14 vs RS Components. Mine board is from the second one (https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/8968660/). I saw some articles about performance differences between equal boards from these two distributors.
Not sure if this can help.

The identifier which I’m talking about is decided upon by the Raspberry Pi Foundation.

Now it works after update. Thanks!

Hmm. I’m on version 242 as well, yet I’m still not seeing the Wireless settings. What am I doing wrong?

Hi Geoff,

This is a Pi 2. Those don’t have WiFi support.

Regards,

Aha - simple when you know… Thanks Harry. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Harry,
Last week my Ropieee Pi3 with Allo hat started to disconnect from roon, reconnect and then completely blanked out. Still seemed to be running but could not be seen on the network at all. I tried two different wifi systems (linksys and generic router wifi), a complete re-install and I have never been able to see it on WIFI or roon ever again. Works like a charm almost instantly when plugged into ethernet. Plus, in the settings web ui it shows wireless is on and the available access points but connecting it never results in functioning wireless. Is it possible for the PI3 wireless chip to just take a poop and require complete pi replacement?

Thanks for any advice.
Calen

Hmmm… I’ve never heard before of a Pi breaking down, or at least the wifi chip.

Can you send me feedback (from the advanced tab in the web ui) so I can have a look?

Sent it out, Harry. 0286e13884667028

Thanks for taking a look.

Calen

So I went ahead and purchased a new raspberry pi and loaded a fresh Ropieee on it. Still no dice. No WIFI at all. When I loaded Dietpi onto them, they both worked and I am back in business. Not sure what the problem with ropieee is for me, but at least Dietpi is working perfectly.

I want to follow up in case anyone else has difficulties. I replaced my Linksys Velop Mesh system with an Eero Mesh system and I have yet to have ANY network issues at all with any product in my home. So many non Roon related issues have cleared up and Roon runs as flawlessly as I imagined it was supposed to the whole time. Even the dreaded dropouts while listening to high-res files over a chrome cast audio have reduced significantly (though still pop up once every other song). I can’t believe how broken that brand new Linksys system was.

I feel bad for having doubted the Ropieee software. IT was running great the whole time, while my WIFI was wrecking havoc.

2 Likes

I switched from Volumio to RoPieee because the former causes my Roon core to freeze and I don’t want to troubleshoot anymore. RoPieee works great with LAN but I can’t get the Wi-Fi to work on my Pi 3. Initially, I saw my access point in the list, so I selected it, entered the passkey and enabled Wi-Fi. After reboot, the networking screen hangs and the Pi is still not connected to Wi-Fi although ropieee-wired as registered in my router already.

Can you send feedback? You can find that option on the ‘advanced’ tab.
I can have a look then what actually happens on your device.

Thanks

Logs have been sent to RoPieee HQ with unique identifier dde983a4dacc5a7f

Thank you and I’m looking forward to the resolution.

Your logs are flooded with ‘under voltage detected’ messages, so I would suggest you fix the power supply first because this could very well be the problem.

Thanks

Thanks. I was using a different power supply. New feedback sent…

I see the cause for the hang up of the Network tab when scanning Wi-Fi networks - the wlan0 interface is not up. If i run wpa_supplicant, it will not hang.

So, the issue is why the wlan0 won’t start up during boot time, and there’s no IP address assigned to the wlan0 too, I had to run ip addr add dev wlan0 192.168.1.x/24 for it to work.