RoPieee Install Guide Changelog

I am pleased to announce the release of a new RoPieee Install Guide, based on the previous RoPieee Guide for Beginners, to coincide with the new release of RoPieee this morning:

The new location for the guides is here:

Please note that both guides are available (for now), because if you wish XL functionality you will have to use the classic RoPieee guide until the release of new XL later this year.

My heartfelt thanks to those that have provided valuable feedback to the documentation, helping to improve its clarity (hopefully).

I also want to say thank you to @spockfish for RoPieee, as it adds so much richness to my life. If you use RoPieee, consider making a donation:

6 Likes

RoPieee is one of the very best pieces of software I have met in this audio context. Thank you for the great work! @spockfish

4 Likes

2022-02-23 update

• Updated Advanced Settings to note Alarm Clock extension by @Jan_Koudijs .
  • Added note about no ssh access, for clarity.
  • Updated Devices tab screenshot.
  • A few minor typographical improvements.

2 Likes

2022-03-02 update

• Updated Networking slide to clarify the use of the “Scan” button when setting up WiFi.

1 Like

Horror of Horrors, I was just wondering why my RoPieee had not updated and downloaded the new XL image, when I could not find the Pi2 mentioned anywhere anymore. Then found this info here. So I should stick with the version 3.020 on my Pi2 until it stops working?
Would the new images not install on it - or does “support gone” just mean I am alone if I should run into problems, but can install it and it should be ok for now?

The current version of RoPieee does not support the Pi2. You may continue to use the “classic” version of RoPieee, but that will not be supported or updated going forward. The reason for this is that the internal architecture of RoPieee has fundamentally changed, and @spockfish has made strategic “line in the sand” if you will indulge the metaphor.

Current list of supported Pi hardware (March 2022):

1 Like

2022-04-07 update

Added text about today’s release of RoPieeeXL, along with a note about the deprecation of bluetooth support and the fact that the new auto-update functionality requires a reboot schedule to be set.

1 Like

2022-04-16 update

Added a troubleshooting step in cases where Etcher fails for the user, suggesting Rufus as an alternative. Thanks to @Mark_Giannini .

1 Like

2022-06-07 update

Added information about when display hardware is detected. Thanks to @JChrisG .

1 Like

Thank you. I’ve read through the Ropieee installation guide several times now. It’s very clear. I’m looking forward to getting all the required hardware together to try it out. Apologies if this is a silly question, but … as the alarm clock extension is supported, are other Roon extensions supported? I know they work on DietPi, but I really like the no fuss philosophy behind the Ropieee software.

1 Like

No, you will need a separate hardware for other Roon extensions.

I believe that @Jan_Koudijs Extension Manager (Home · TheAppgineer/roon-extension-manager Wiki · GitHub) is part of DietPi (Roon Extension Manager now included in DietPi (v6.10)), so that is an easy choice for those who want a simple install option.

1 Like

I have a question that I’m hoping to be able to get a quick response to.
I am presently installing Ropiee onto my Raspberry Pi 4.
The instructions say that RoPieee is designed to be installed without the need for a computer screen or keyboard.
It also says to Wait for all of the installs to complete, ensuring that
all of the reboots are finished. This may take up to 20
minutes if on a lower speed internet connection.
So, my question is: if I have no display or keyboard attached, how do I know when the installation and updates are complete?
Ropie is actually installing right now, so I’m hoping for a quick response!
Thank you!

While the install is running you’ll see the green led flash erratically as the Pi reads the disk.

Once installed you’ll see a regular flash from Ropieee.

You can type the url into a browser anyway - and try and refresh - once it’s installed it will respond.

thank you! I’ve got the regular flash, so I’ll try the browser now.
Appreciate the response!

1 Like

Hope you enjoy!

I have roon core on my gaming pc in my bedroom. My raspberry pi is in my livingroom attached to my dac with usb.
The Pi and dac show up under settings in the core, but no matter how I configure it, when I play music I get sound from the speakers attached to my gaming pc and on the speakers in the livingroom all I get is a whining sound.
I want the sound to only come from the livingroom speakers, but cannot figure out what settings to use.
Any help please?

Nevermind. Problem solved! Not quite sure how, but sound is now where it sould be!

In the previous slide to the part you are quoting, point 7 says to wait until the LED is flashing at 1/2 Hertz. How could I make this more clear or obvious?

What does “flashing at 1/2 hertz” look like? I had lots of different light flashings happening during the install, but had no idea how I was supposed to recognize what “flashing at 1/2 hertz” look like.
Maybe I’m just dumb, but what the heck is a hertz anyway?
Would the average roon user know what a hertz is, or what 1/2 hertz looks like?

Read here … Hertz - Wikipedia
1/2Hz looks like 1 flash every 2 seconds (edited)

1 Like