RoPieee LCD Beta stuff - tell it like it is

Screen blanking appears to have been sorted just for the record over the last 48 hours

1 Like

Except for the fact that you run the wrong distro on that endpoint (;-)), but I really canā€™t reproduce this.

So what have I done here:

• start playing on a different zone then the one being registered with RoPieee.
  • add the zone thatā€™s being registered with RoPieee
  • use the controls

Am I doing something differently then you?

No, youā€™re not doing anything differently to me. Iā€™ll try a different mix of zones to rule out the possibility that itā€™s something to do with the Artera zone, but that will have to wait until tomorrow now. Thanks for looking.

I think that Iā€™ve found the cause of the issue. I hadnā€™t got the Artera unit switched on in the grouped zone, so even though playback of the zone could be controlled from Roon, the touchscreen wonā€™t work unless the Artera is also on.

1 Like

Ah. that I didnā€™t test. Thanks @Geoff_Coupe for reporting this!

Guys, I just pushed out an update to the beta channel that adds a clock.

Now, before we continue: nothing changes for those that donā€™t want this.

Simply put: in the settings screen youā€™ll find a new setting called ā€˜Blank screen on timeoutā€™ that is enabled by default.

Deselecting this option will show a clock in stead of blanking the screen.

The clock screen also has a button to blank the screen manually.

Looking forward to your feedback!

4 Likes

How do you force the updates?

It just updated itself 10 mins after rebooting

1 Like

The clock is awesomeā€¦I enabled it on all 3 lcd units and one is now showing it, one isnā€™t and the other playingā€¦its nearly 3am and I need to get some sleep but :sunglasses: Harry thank you so much :smiley:

1 Like

Confirm click works fine as does the off button. Good work. Could do with the off button available all the time. :grin:

The clock is fantastic. Do we need to blink the time separator ( : ) to prevent LCD burn in and for aesthetics?

yeah, but were? suggestions?

I would say where you currently have the time which matches to where it is on the clock screensaver and loose the current clock (itā€™s pretty hard to see anway unless your up close) but I guess others may protestā€¦ Will have to think about it some more I guess. And the balance of the display is just right at the moment.

@spockfish after yesterdays update, my old manā€™s Piā€™s screens havenā€™t switched off after the usual 15 minutes of inactivity :sob:

Iā€™ll have to do a clean install for him when I visit him this weekend.

Ok I think I maybe tapped the turn off screen blanking 2x and set it on again so one of mine wasnā€™t gong to the clockā€¦but they all seem to work great.

I wonder if its possible to set a different dimming level for the clock verses playing now screenā€¦helps one drift off to sleep better

of that matter maybe even an option to sleep the screen while playing after a certain time to either black or clock too

I think no flashing on the clock screen is perfect.

The last two auto-updates have failed with kernel panics. Recycling the power gets things back up and running again.

Hmmmā€¦ sorry to hear that. And Iā€™m curious because Iā€™ve tested this for the whole day. Iā€™ve discovered this morning an issue myself, in the case when Roon core is not running. In that scenario the screen does not go to screensaver mode.

Could this be the case with your dad?

1 Like

So many variables to consider itā€™s quite amazing sometimes that things in this electronic world we live in work at all never mind working in harmony.

1 Like

Hey Harry, yes he always shuts down Roon Core when he goes to sleep.

Usually (when things are thing going well) the touchscreen still goes to sleep after the core is shutdown, but after yesterdayā€™s update, when he woke up in the morning the touchscreen was still on.

So it sounds like what you have. Thatā€™s good news because itā€™s always nice when you can reproduce it at your end!

i already fixed it this morning. iā€™ll push out an update tonight

1 Like