RoPieee LCD Beta stuff - tell it like it is

oh I forgot to mention @wizardofoz and @CrystalGipsy.

I already know what this issue is. Unfortunately it’s not something I can fix easily (chicken and egg problem: to fix it I need an update, but it will not update because of an error that I try to fix…).

As this (somewhat) coincides with what I’m working on with respect to scrolling and the hardware accelaration it just means that we (you) need to install a new image. Sorry, but that’s life with beta’s I guess :wink:

The issue at hand at least got me thinking of some sort of failback mechanism so I can intervene in these kind of circumstances (which were not created by me but by the distro I use).

Thanks,

2 Likes

No problem Harry…long as there is a light at the end of the tunnel :smiley:

Hey Harry @spockfish

Dad said he woke up this morning and again the screen was on (after the overnight 3AM scheduled reboot).

That’s cool because it’s a known issue but he said the most annoying thing after this new morning bug is

1. the ropieee.local settings page doesn’t work in the morning and even more importantly
  2. Roon doesn’t see the HiFiBerry endpoint, after this bug shows up, so music can’t be played

So the only way to get both the ropieee.local settings page working and Roon to see the HiFiBerry is to pull the power cable and do a cold boot.

So in the mean time I told him to do a proper shutdown this evening before he goes to bed, to avoid the 24 hourly scheduled reboot.

Not a complaint - just feedback.

That’s really weird. Thanks for the feedback.
Sorry to admit that at least on my side this was not ‘a known issue’, so we need to investigate this somehow.

Weird that a cold boot fixes this but ok. Is this reproducible?

Thanks!

Hmmm wizard and simon both have their’s fixed but can you guys recall if Roon was able to see your HATs when you had this issue?

Yes same thing happened yesterday morning and again this morning - both times his first thing to try was to access ropieee.local to reboot from there but he couldn’t gain access. Cold boot fixed it.

It only happens after the 3AM reboot.

During the day when he wasn’t using Roon the display would turn off after 15 minutes. But Roon was always able to see the HAT.

Something funny is happening after that 3AM reboot.

@wizardofoz and @CrystalGipsy had a different issue: there RoPieee wasn’t updating anymore. That’s different to what you describe.

Oh, I didn’t think it was completely different but could be wrong.

Dad has the same issues as they had, plus more now…

@wizardofoz can you recall if you able to access the ropieee.local page after the failed update?

Yes I think all was ok…anyway I PM’d you the instructions harry gave me… see how it goes but as suggested don’t mess with it unless the errors are the same

1 Like

Ok. The timing of this new bug is strange.

It’s only come up after the first failed 0.3.5 update.

Everything was fine with him before that. The 0.3.3 update last week was smooth and happened overnight and when we woke up, the display was off (as it should have been).

Does anyone else have this issue? Anyone that’s not wizard, simon or Harry lol

Are we the only Touchscreen users? :sob: lol I joke. Someone will comment I’m sure.

Thanks for the instructions mate. I’m more keen to help Harry find the bug, than I am to update dad to 0.3.5

The world won’t end for dad if he has to do a cold boot once a day, until I upgrade him to 0.3.5 on the weekend.

But I can sense Harry’s blood pressure raising. I caused him a lot of pain with the famous cold issue bug.

Sean, is it possible to ask your dad to hit the feedback button?

Yep I will. He wasn’t able to yesterday morning and again this morning because of no access to the feedback button (no access to ropieee.local) but I’ll ask him to do a cold boot and then hit the button.

The biggest issue is losing access to the HAT after the scheduled reboot - I thought this was only screen related.

No my guess is that this has nothing to do with the touchscreen. For some reason the whole RoPieee is becoming unresponsive. So that’s extremely weird, especially since a cold boot fixes it.

If you have access could you please test the following: after the cold boot (which results in a working ropieee again) please go to the webpage and do a ‘reboot’. Curious to see if it get’s stuck again.

If you can remote to get SSH access then maybe can force a feedback that way if the screen is unresponsive ???

Agreed. The timing is weird too - only happened after the first failed 0.3.5 update (Sunday?).

I’ll get him to do these things you mentioned and let you know.

Hey Harry dad just did a warm reboot and everything was working fine.

He also just sent feedback.

So I have no idea but the same issue has happened the past 2 mornings, for the first time ever.

hmmm… maybe he’s just suffering from a fried SD card.

But wouldn’t Ropieee not be able to work at all in that case?

Ropieee works.

I personally don’t care because it’s easy enough to update him manually to 0.3.5. But if there’s something else that caused this like a bug (the timing is the funny because it only happened since Sunday morning, the same time the first failed update of 0.3.5) then maybe it’s worth looking at?

If not, it’s not a problem with me, I’ll update him manually to 0.3.5 and we can keep the show rolling and pretend this never happened and hope it doesn’t come up in future releases

@Geoff_Coupe @colorsquid @ian_frost did you have any dramas going from extension 0.3.3 to 0.3.5? And are you using any HAT’s or just USB audio out or just using it as a display only?

Well… RoPieee runs from memory. So it might very well be that when a reboot appears the file system is being checked and something goes horribly wrong.

Anyways, let’s see if it happens again.

In the meantime I’m preparing a new beta image (possibly available somewhere this week) which will have the touch screen support now with scrolling text. It required quite some ‘under hood’ stuff to be changed, hence the new image.

I’ll keep you guys posted!

1 Like

Great stuff Harry. Do you plan to keep the 24 hourly reboot for the main release?

Or will you give the option to turn this reboot off?

Cheers