Ropieee on the New Raspberry Pi 4

TommyD,

any observation of your testings that you could share already?
Thanks
Stefan

Hi spockfish,

Seems that yes, update is 311, but no wifi option.

I managed to get WiFi working on my Pi 4 last night. The Pi has software version 311, but I had to tinker over SSH some: The CPU revision didnā€™t match the one that maps to rpi4 in /opt/RoPieee/lib/get_hardware_model. Running cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep 'Revision' | awk '{print $3}' outputs b03111.
I edited get_hardware_model to add in this as an rpi4 and all the wifi configuration options appeared and worked.

4 Likes

OK, so Iā€™m doing something wrong: new Pi4 B (4GB) with Ropiee Beta (showing v311-1) but not appearing as a device in Roon Core configuration. Web interface is working fine. What am I missing?

Did you connect your DAC to RPi4? Had the same issue, but connected DAC and Roon saw RPI4 immediately.

Yep - USB MQA DAC (Meridian Explorer 2), so should hopefully have shown up immediately.

Hi @Skaffen,

Thanks for this! When Iā€™m back from holiday Iā€™ll add your findings.
Iā€™ve got already a new detection mechanism in place (which just looks at the FDT loaded), but I did not had the time yet (thereā€™s plenty of other ā€˜more importantā€™ stuff on the list) to replace this.

Anyways, thanks!

1 Like

So @Richard_Harris any luck with this?

None whatsoever - machine is on the network fine (311) but doesnā€™t show up in Roon. DAC doesnā€™t show up in ALSA - works fine with Ropieee/Pi3

Can you send me feedback so I can have a look in the logs?

Sorry Harry - where do I do that?

Go to the advanced tab in the web interface and see the button below right.

Guys,

Iā€™ve pushed out a new update (313) to the beta channel. Biggest change with this release is support for the touchscreen. Furthermore some ā€˜under da hoodā€™ stuff necessary for the Pi 4.

Nowā€¦ this is a rather delicate update. It requires several cycles, so you need to be patient.

For those with a screen that canā€™t wait, hereā€™s a new image: http://image.ropieee.org/20190728-ropieee-ose_rpi4-beta.bin

Enjoy!

3 Likes

Yes! Itā€™s working! Thanks Harry. :smile:

1 Like

Awesome @spockfish. The previous build didnā€™t boot with my newly arrived Pi4, but this image worked. Thank you.

A very minor ā€˜issueā€™: when playing an album of which the album cover is missing, Ropieee gets stuck showing the previous album cover. Just mentioning it because I noticed it (I check final mixes of music I mix for myself and others in the living room as ā€˜regular musicā€™, album cover is always missing in other words), not because itā€™s very important.

I have a feature request: I would like to have the option to make the clock a bit smaller, or to turn off the screen immediately after Roon quits playing. This might be a highly personal request, but I have trouble accepting the passing of time. The big clock now shows me Iā€™m wasting my time watching television instead of making music. :smiley:

Oh wonderful, just noticed the ā€˜blank screenā€™ option. Skip my last request, hee hee. :slight_smile:

However, when I turn off my set with my Logitech Harmony, the DAC is turned off first. This causes Ropieee to show a ā€˜no DAC connectedā€™ message. This message does not fade to black after a while. I donā€™t know if itā€™s supposed to (Iā€™ve never seen the screen with a Raspi 3), but Iā€™d like it to go to black after a while.

I need to look into the album cover stuff. This did not happen on the Pi3, so this seems a regression.

Did some more testing:

When I swtich from album with cover to album without cover, the previous cover art gets stuck. Skipping or stopping playing doesnā€™t change it. When I wait until the timeout (clock or black screen), and start playing again, the right (missing) covert art is shown.

About the other thing: would be an idea to add the option ignore ā€˜no DAC connectedā€™ errors in the web config, so that it goes to sleep without error when I turn all equipment off?

Another finding: if I close the Roon windows app, the touch screen briefly (for 1 second) shows a ā€˜connection failureā€™, and then shows the album cover screen again. Playing is not interrupted.