Ropieee on the New Raspberry Pi 4

@Tjarko_Busink

Both issues I can’t reproduce. Can you restart your Roon server and test again?

Thanks

Missing album cover issue is solved by restarting.

The other one remains. Things I also tried:

• deleting the extension on Roon server and add it again (Roon is running on a TS251 NAS btw)
  • restart the extension in the Advanced tab of the Ropieee interface

I’ve sent feedback a minute ago ( 341946ad9130d027)

Thanks!

Indeed I spot a problem: the extension crashes which results in an automatic restart. But that’s enough to show up the warning.

Now… the question is why I can’t reproduce this, but at least we’ve got a lead :wink:

Regards,

I’ve renamed the device a lot (because both Roon as the two Raspberry’s were new to me). Could it be filthy cache on the server?

I don’t think so… it should be able to handle that. I’m doing that constantly :wink:

However, I pushed out a small update to the beta with an update to the extension (2.2.0 -> 2.2.1). Can you check if the connection issue still appears?

Thanks

Checked it, still present. :frowning:

Sent feedback (16f6b43fe0bba465)

EDIT: tested it again today and it seemed to have been solved!

Each day, the first time I hit play on Roon, I hear a click before it starts playing. From this moment on, it plays without clicks. Until the DAC is disconnected again by switching it to standby (usually at night). Next day starts with a click. Anyone else having this problem? (RME ADI2-DAC, click never occured using both of my Squeezeboxes, TV and Raspi 3+Digiberry. Only the Raspi 4 via USB).

So as I recently sold my streamer with the intention of buying a higher end model. My finances have changed and I decided to get a Pi4 for the time being.

I’ve seen RoPieee mentioned before and thought I would give this a shot and I am really happy I did. It is super simple and worked straight out the gate.

@spockfish huge thanks for this and I plan on making a donation soon via your page :smiley:

1 Like

So … any news on this front? Is it really solved?

Yes, the connection failed message (crash) issue is solved! Haven’t seen it anymore, and I’ve opened and closed the Roon app a lot. Thanks!

The click issue might be related to swtiching from 48Khz (opt) to 44Khz (usb). I need to test this. If it is, it’s probably a DAC issue. I replaced a network switch yesterday as well, so maybe that solved it. I didn’t hear a click this morning.

So the only thing remaining is my request to be able to ignore the ‘no DAC connected’ error and let my Raspi screen sleep for the night. Now,I have to walk to the screen to switch it to standby, and then click ‘all devices off’ on my remote. Which works, but I’d like it to go to sleep by itself. :slight_smile:

It might be worth checking the click issue on the RME forum. There were quite a few issues when they first started to support x64 Linux. I am not sure if they test with R-PI/Arm Linux version at all.

Yeah, I’m a regular there too. But I know Matthias and Daniel from RME, and you really have to write good test reports before they take it seriously, so I’ll wait until I’ve tested it more thoroughly. However, after switching to a Linksys switch I haven’t heard a click. I also tested with DSD DoP 256, and it plays without a glitch. Bit perfect as well.

Indeed I have been a professional user of their audio interfaces for a long long time but have always found their support to be a bit bipolar - when your use case in in their target product scope, it is really good and they are very helpful, but when even marginally outside it can get very frustrating very quickly :slight_smile:

I only mention that as the moment you mention R-PI and Arm Linux than you may get a das ist verboten and end of conversation :slight_smile:

Although it’s not my regular day job, I’ve been a user of their audio interfaces as well. My enthusiasm for the Multiface II made me purchase the AD2. So yes, I know what you mean, yet it seems to be a bit different these days. Someone sent his Squeezebox (also Linux) to them so they could troubleshoot, and they released a firmware upgrade with a fix very quickly after that. They seemed to be interested in hearing my experiences with the Raspi 4. So I’m not worrying about that. In fact, they released about 5 or 6 firmware upgrades since I purchased the ADI2 DAC (which was 2 or 3 months ago), and one of them contained a request by me. :smile: I like going to that forum because most of the people there prefer scientific results (or plain logic) over audiophile assumptions. With the release of the ADI2 now audiophile listeners are attracted to the forum, and it regurarly clashes with the pro users like you (who seem to be more pragmatic and cost aware). It’s a different breed.

Anyway, enough about RME…back to the click problem:

I’m now using the USB 2.0 port. Should I be using the 3.0 port perhaps?

doesn’t this message go away after 10 minutes? that’s what it should do, as do the other messages.

Something did occur to me about clicks that made me wonder if the DAC is actually operating in the correct USB mode with arm7 linux.

One possible cause of a click maybe the clock PLL making a very quick and huge adjustment while audio data is being received and the R-PI is acting as the clock master instead of the usual situation with DAC being the one clock source. It just seems very unlikely that would actually be happening as it seem to be a somewhat elementary implementation mistake on the part of RME (or maybe an audio driver) and would only apply to certain modes of use and not to the mode of use I would expect here.

Either way definitely something to pursue with RME if as you say they are a lot more open these days. It been quite some time since I last has to speak to them apart from a couple of enquiries a while back when I was thinking of buying an ADI-2 DAC (which I didn’t at the time due to their responses) and my nervousness around what where then unsupported scenarios - ie any flavour of Linux, never mind an R-PI along with also at the time rather poor remote control support which has since been hugely improved. And some annoying sample rate switching behaviour at the time (or lack of).

Anyway - I follow this with interest as maybe it is time to revisit this DAC if you get a good outcome :slight_smile:

BTW - are you using a fixed sample rate with the RME DAC or are you allowing Roon to control the sample rate. Do you have the means of checking if the click occurs whenever there is a sample rate change? For example, play a 44.1, then play a 48 or 96 etc? Just remembering some other early issues that stopped me from buying one make me wonder if there may still be some residual issues.

Also are you using the NOS filter?

I wasn’t aware the timeout is that long. I will wait longer… We’ll see tonight, or better: tomorrow morning. :slight_smile:

Posted my question at the RME forum, and Matthias immediately asked whether there was a bitrate change. Which is actually the case: when I turn off my set the last setting is TV (48Khz, optical). When I turn it on the next morning, it switches to USB and almost all of my music is 44, 88 or 96. So I told him this, and now I’ll wait. Maybe it can be fixed with a firmware upgrade.

Interesting. Originally sample rate changes in class compliant mode where not possible. Later this got fixed. Then I believe some were experiencing click on sample rate changes which in theory were fixed, but there seems to have been reports of some residual issues relating to this on some forums.

I believe there can also be clicks on changing filter types which isn’t so big of a deal as filter changes are not that common.

Still - all a bit annoying when every other DAC I have manages this silently including my RME-UFX. IU really don’t like audio products that click - fine when you have something analog in the way to reduce levels, but not when you have high power active monitoring systems only a couple of feet in front of you.

No problems with my RME Multiface II either, but the Squeezebox never clicked with the RME as well. I don’t think the sample rate change alone is the culprit (it never clicks when I switch to different sample rates in Roon). It didn’t click switching from coax to opt and a different sample rate (my previous setup with the Raspi 3 and Digiberry). It’s probably the sample rate switch in conjunction with this specific input change (opt>usb).