Ropieee on the New Raspberry Pi 4

you can play a little bit with the timing in the Roon settings, maybe that will fix things.

Yeah, I noticed. But thatā€™s only adding a 50ms (or longer) delay when switching to different sample and bit rates in Roon. There are no clicks switching within Roon however. Even going from DSD256 to 44Khz to 96Khz and back to DSD128 is a clickless operation. It only seems to happen when switching from opt 48 to usb ā€˜anything that isnā€™t 48ā€™. If RME can reproduce it, Iā€™ll expect a firmware upgrade soon.

Thanks for posting this @Paul_Whittaker. The heat dispersion is really quite effective, and case looks nice as well.

1 Like

Apologies, the message disappears after 10 minutes. Never waited long enough for the timeout during the tests.

The case I very well made and manages heat well. There is a thermal pad between the CPU and the case itself. I now own one :slight_smile:

@spockfish Is there an interface I can access to try diagnose problems with playback? I have a popping sound over the top of my music and as far as I can tell I need to make some adjustments. This happens with other streamers so it isnā€™t your issue and in the past Iā€™ve just bought other equipment to get around it.

DAC is the USB input on my Yamaha CDS2100 CD player.

RME response on clicking sound:

A sample rate change can always cause a click, and the reason behind it can be different things. As you can easily try yourself, changing the sample rate as such does not cause a click, so most probably there comes a bunch of resting/initializing data in that ā€˜first playā€™ moment that cause this.

Hmm - not really a useful or desired response.

The DACā€™s initial state is 768Khz (typical for Class Compliant operation like a Raspberry), so thereā€™s always a sample conversion (my collection consists of 44,48, 88 and 96 only). Iā€™m beginning to believe itā€™s not a sample rate conversion, but the last state of the Roon software. Was it stopped or playing when I turned off the DAC? I will test this.

The noise is continuous throughout playback. I have put the issue off for a second time by buying a new DAC haha.

1 Like

I donā€™t understand. There is no noise. Occasionally there is a click on first startup. Then it will play without any clicks, crackles or interruptions for an entire day. Itā€™s not a big problem. There are many clicks in my house, furniture, cats, people reading. I can handle a 50ms click. :slight_smile:

Its not a Pi issue its how my CD player interfaces with Roon. I have used multiple streamers from different brands and get the same result.

Letā€™s seeā€¦no clicks with the RME ADI2 DAC and my cd player, bluray player, both of my Squeezeboxes, Raspi 3 (USB and with Digiberry coax) , but an occasional click with the Raspi 4. Excuse me but itā€™s not weird to expect a problem with the Raspi 4.

:man_facepalming:

My issue isnā€™t with the Pi4, its between Roon and my CD player.

Anyway this thread is about Pi4 not my issues so back to Pi4 :slight_smile:

You seemed to specifically reply to my responses, so forgive me for misunderstanding you. Letā€™s move on.

1 Like

would the RPi 4 be a better option for a DAC that can do DSD1024 and 1536K PCM?

I would be surprised if it had the grunt to handle that even with a very lightweight audio optimized OS. It would probably still struggle at even half that.

II donā€™t have an R-PI 4 yet - after discovering some issue with the power connector, I decide to leave it until they have done a board revision to fix it. Also the 4GB models seem to be hard to hold of.

1 Like

I stream native DSD512 to my Oppo Sonica DAC via RPi3B (not even a +) via LAN and USB no issues at all with Ropieee

Interesting - its probably DAC dependent then.

I guess that does fit in with other suspicions I have had over the Pro-ject S2 digital. I ended up plugging it into an intel nuc instead due to the P-PI 3B+ having too many issues with it at higher sample rates or with MQA. OTOH my dragonfly red had no issue with MQA despite being used in exactly the same way with the same settings.

So I now have my Flirc USB reciver and have mapped play, pause, stop, next, previous etc. I tried windows commands as I could test on my PC and it worked a treat but does not work with Ropieee.

What type on commands should I pick? Windows donā€™t work (as expected).

@spockfish