Ropieee on the New Raspberry Pi 4

I’ve configured mine as ‘multi media control’.
First question: is it recognized by RoPieee? So you see it mentioned in the Remote Control tab?

I don’t know how I could see if its recognised. How would I do that? I had a look at the multi media function but didn’t see either a pause or stop option can’t remember which it was. I will do it again as media controls.

You can see if it is recognized in RoPieee’s webinterface, on the ‘remote control’ tab.
The first field is called ‘Remote Control’ and should mention the Flirc.

I didn’t know there was a ropieee interface. How do I access it?

And media controls didn’t work for me. I didn’t see a pause option and that sucks too.

How long should Ropieee take to configure itself on RPi 4? I’ve been waiting so long, I’m not sure if something has gone wrong or if this is normal.

Cool! I didn’t know it was possible. That’ll be my new little project…cuz everything is running stable now. :slight_smile: (both Raspi’s) Even the click seems to have disappeared. Not sure why. I did turn off the Force Volume option (I misunderstood its function), but I don’t know if it’s related. Anyway, I sent you a little donation for your hard work a while ago, Harry. Thanks!

5 minutes.

is it connected to the internet?

I’ve found the Web inferface and the usb by flirc isn’t showing up. It’s plugged into a USB 3 port at the moment.

Any tips? PS as I said earlier I will be making a donation for your efforts it’s appreciated greatly.

Update - just noticed I was running version 318 and it’s now 321 and it is showing my remote! I’m so chuffed but need to sleep now. Will play tomorrow and see what I can get working.

It is, thanks. I power cycled it and it’s working now.

That’s something that happened to me too, it hangs when rebooting/updating settings. I fixed it by unplugging the power.

I bought my first PI to use as a Roon bridge. It is a PI 4 with 4GB. I successfully loaded the CanaKit Noobs OS and it works fine. But now I’ve tried every bin file on this thread. None of them will end in a start screen. They will all go through the loading sequence, but there is no screen output when it completes no matter how long I let it sit there or when I cycle it. Again I am totally new to the PI so I’m likely doing something wrong. I’m using Etcher to load the bin file onto an 8gb card after formatting it with SD Card Formatter. Can anyone help the rookie please? Maybe I should have bought a PI 3 instead of the 4?

Ropieee only outputs to an official 7 inch screen. You won’t get an output via HDMI.

Hi Robert,

RoPieee has no screen output. It purely acts like an endpoint with RoonBridge, hence no screen output necessary, it even disables the HDMI output.

When the green led is blinking steady at half a Hz you should be able to access RoPieee’s webpage (http://ropieee.local or http://ropieee/) to configure it further.

And with respect to the Pi 4: final stable release with support for the Pi 4 will land today :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I think I’ve been testing it long enough now…the click is completely gone after I switched off the Force Volume checkbox (I misunderstood it for a Fixed Volume functionality, which is in Roon itself). I guess my DAC had trouble interpreting the command, resulting in a click. It was already running stable, but I’m looking forward to the stable release.

I gave up on Ropieee to my Ifi Nano and bought a fanless atom based NuC and run rock on it as it would always get random pops even at 44.1 it got worse with higher sample rates. Now I’ve switched the Ifi for Dragonfly Cobalt might give it another go and try a pi4 when they release the update to fix the usbc power issue.

In my experience the dragonfly red is very good for USB compatibility and I have consistently found it to be completely glitch free with an R-PI at data rates and MQA settings that my S2 struggled with on an R-PI (which just reinforces that R-PI glitchiness/USB use seems to be rather device dependent).

I would expect the same with the colbalt. The other bonus with these DACs is they work with phones as well - I used with my iPhone 6 and now iPhone XS in my car with the apple USB adapter.

Yep mines normally in my NuC and I have a black for mobile use in the way to work. As I have been away on holiday I brought the cobalt with me and it works great on my phone.

So guys,

As the new stable release with support for the Pi 4 is out I guess we can close this thread…

Thanks everyone for their input and patience!

Hi, I’m still having remote control issues? Even after updating to the latest build and configuring the Flirc usb IR receiver to media controls.

But what does it say in the remote control tab in the web ui?

1 Like