Ropieee on the New Raspberry Pi 4

Remote control is Flirc and under roon control zone it says unknown

Ok now its version 329 and I can no longer see it as an endpoint in roon, its not under the audio tab waiting for setup either.

Giving it another reboot

Its back in Roon, testing remote again now.

Update - It didnā€™t work

49c1c9f5ab9f4eb1

Ok. For some reason it is not detected (hence the ā€˜unknownā€™) in the web interface.

As long as it says ā€˜unknownā€™ in the web interface thereā€™s no need in pressing the buttons, because it wonā€™t work.

The weird thing is that looking at the logs, thereā€™s nothing going on. The device is there (I can see it), so I would expect it ā€˜just to workā€™.

So, letā€™s do some debugging. Can you do the following:

• reboot
  • go into the webpage, specifically the remote tab
  • change the zone name (does not matter what at this stage)
  • confirm it
  • after the configuration step, before rebooting, please send me another feedback
  • reboot
  • go back to the webpage, and see what the remote tab says

Thanks!

1 Like

@spockfish Harry how long does it take to package and send the feedback packageā€¦Iā€™ve often wondered how big it is and if itā€™s a slow internet connection how long one should wait between a feedback event and a restart.

I am currently out for dinner but as soon as Iā€™m back I will provide what you need. Much appreciated.

Hi, I have followed your instructions and here is the code 0fbbc3332c4487d4

After rebooting I checked the remote name and it remained.

Harry, which model exactly do you recommend, 2 or 4 GB?

Here ya go

1 Like

As mentioned below I believe then all work well. I bought the 4GB model so I can do more with it at a later date.

1 Like

what a great one, love it.
Started yesterday night and got it to work without any trouble.
The only thing I canā€™t handle is volume control with the raspberry Pi 4.
I have to level to full power at my smal naim muso to get a bit of sound, rest works great !!!
Only the case for the PI 4 is not optimal, when using the hifiberry dac, its getting very worm and cooling via fan becomes difficult, there is no space left for it :((
So get it work I hat to build up a litte case by my self.
Using the current version of Ropieee (not the XL) will give it a try later on, after I am used to this one.

My Pi 4 finally arrived from backorder. Ropieee good to go?

Well, Iā€™m certainly not objectiveā€¦
But I would say: go!

:wink:

2 Likes

Well, that was easy. Fired it up, connected a Yellowtec PUC2 Lite and set it up in Roon. Used ssh to shut it down before I move it to lounge to see if the Yellowtec fares any better off the Pi 4 USB portsā€¦ Iā€™ve not looked at fstab - does Ropieee mind dirty shutdowns?

Well, itā€™s all worked flawlessly, with the Pi 4 as Roonbridge I can finally feed my Yggy via AES/EBU. No more USB to DAC :pray:t2:.

1 Like

@spockfish Harry Iā€™ve sent logs as 0121564c8f960b73 because I think my Pi 4 just rebooted.

Ok sorry, but what do you expect from me? You have a rebooting Pi and I just have a look?
Withhout any context?

OK Harry, I donā€™t need your help if thatā€™s your attitude. I must have mistaken Roonā€™s good service for your service.

Simply, I went looking for logs when my Pi rebooted. Your web interface provides only a way to submit logs. I submitted the log, and the Ropieee webpage suggested I post a note on the Roon forums. I assumed you would pop me a private message and ask me some questions. My mistake.

Your product is great, which is why I donated. Your attitude stinks, which is why I wonā€™t be donating again.

Yeah, thatā€™s my typical Dutch ā€˜directā€™ attitude.

Iā€™m sure youā€™ll find enough evidence that my attitude ā€˜does not stinkā€™, but not everyone realizes that this is just a hobby project, done in spare time. And yeah, I appreciate donations (thanks for that), and yeah I generally (I hope at least) take care of my customers.

But your message to me read like a ā€œhereā€™s a bone, go fetchā€ message, and that does not sit well with me after coming home from a long day at the ofice.

This might simply be a language thingie, and in that case sorry for that.

Best regards,

1 Like

on a sidenote: you have your system configured for a daily reboot.

The logs show that for some reason NTP was late in syncing, after the shutdown was already scheduled.
This resulted in a immediate shutdown when the time was correct.

Iā€™ll put something on the TODO list to safeguard this a little bit.