Ropieee on the New Raspberry Pi 4

Fair enough, I can see your side of it, especially the bone bit. I think that might have come across wrong as a consequence of me just following the steps. Apologies.

I’m actually someone who (a) respects the huge investment of time people put into “free” projects, which is why I donate, and (b) tries to help himself where possible before pestering others.

I don’t mind direct, in a private message. I don’t like being called out on a public forum. Maybe I overreacted.

1 Like

Thank you Harry. I was actually playing with setting up the nightly reboot just a few moments before, so perhaps that’s the answer.

I literally only just got the pi4 and put it in a case, so I have been monitoring the temperature. I thought perhaps it was overheating or something.

No it did not. But even with you configuring a daily reboot it should just wait for NTP to be in sync before scheduling the reboot.

I’ll need to dive into this.

PS: temperature can be seen on the info page.

2 Likes

I use this Flirc case with great success:

I monitor temperature in all of my devices, so I can assure you that the case design is effective.

1 Like

Thanks Nathan. It’s the Flirc case I’m using. I ran the pi bare for a few days and was sitting at around 63-65C. In the Flirc case, it seems to have dropped to 53-55C, which is a bit less than the 20C drop that some people have reported. Even so, definitely the best designed Pi case I’ve seen. This is the first time I’ve been able to get the SD card without disassemblng the case at all.

My experience is similar, a 10 degree drop:

So is the output via USB substantially better than the pi3?

Yes, at least from a bandwidth perspective.

I’m not sure about noise (in general I would say: higher freq, more noise), but the bandwidth is a huge improvement.

Don’t know because the Pi 4 is the first time I’ve bought a Pi since the 2. I can, however, say I have a Yellowtec PUC2 Lite plugged into the USB3 ports and it is functioning flawlessly converting the USB input to AES/EBU output. This was not the case with any SoC I’d tried this with previously.

The biggest difference (and it’s really huge) is that on previous PI’s the USB bus was also used for hosting the network controller. So bandwidth was being shared between USB devices and network. On top of that the network interface was only capable of doing 100MB (yes, even on the 3B+ the “GB” was fake). This resulted in a ‘stressed’ USB port, which in turn could lead to problems if you pushed it to it’s limits (DSD256 and beyond for example).

On the Pi4 there’s a proper PCI bus, and a USB and network controller that’s not sharing bandwidth.

Thanks Harry. Did you add any additional/updated usb audio drivers to the kernel for Ropieee? I’m wondering whether it’s Ropieee that’s made the difference rather than the Pi itself in my use case.

Well, in general it also meant moving to a more recent Linux kernel, which in turn also means an updated USB driver.

Just one question: for Pi4 using Ropieee we just need 1GB RAM, or 2GB RAM will be better? Thanks.

Unless RoPieeeXL expands considerably over the years, current RoPieee requirements are quite nominal and shouldn’t change much over time. My Pi4 never uses more than perhaps 250Mb, so the 2g version simply isn’t necessary, and there is no performance advantage.

3 Likes

Thank you for your information. :slight_smile:

Still thinking of buying a Flirc remote. Have you managed to get it working yet?

I assume the 7" display still does not work with the Pi4, correct? Can I use my Pi3 as just a display and the Pi4 for the USB DAC? If that’s possible, how would I set this up? Any help would be appreciated.

That’s incorrect. The screen works with the Pi 4.

Excellent! Thanks again for all your work.

I havn’t seen an updated R-PI 4 case for the 7" screen yet.

1 Like