Ropieee on the New Raspberry Pi 4

The ModMyPi screen fits nicely.

Isnā€™t the form factor the same, so wouldnā€™t any display case that does not enclose the ports work fine with the Pi4?

Different connectors on R-PI 4 - cases are not quite the same as 3B+

@Adam_Goodfellow,

I am sorry, I still donā€™t understand. Many display cases do not enclose the Pi (2 of my 4 display cases for example donā€™t), so the slightly different physical layout is irrelevant. Or are you saying that the holes to mount the board are different, or the display cable connector not compatible?

This case. https://thepihut.com/collections/raspberry-pi-screens/products/raspberry-pi-7-touchscreen-display-case-white
I have one for my R-PI 3B+ that runs Ropieee.

There is no equivalent yet for the R-PI 4.

I think youā€™ll have heat issues with the pi 4 in a case like that.

It might be better to select any of the display cases that donā€™t enclose the Pi. Just as an example:

Quite possibly why there is no equivalent yet :slight_smile:

standard display case require slight cutting with dremel tool to fit pi4 on port side and upper side

2 Likes

Yeah, I did a little minor surgery to make the 4 fit in this display as well. I used a utility knife to do some carving.

Oh, by the way, with the Pi4 I donā€™t get the little lightning bolt in the corner indicating undervoltage.

I just install the Raspberry Pi 4 to the display with the RoPieee XL. But the cover art is freezing when next song come along. I restarted the ā€œRoon Remote Extensionā€ with the icon on the web and works but when comes next song no change.

I use the Raspberry Pi with the Pro-Ject Pre-Box S2 Digital thats connected to a Pioneer amplifier.

This is my feedback link: cdd0ab56b74fb28b

Sorry about my pour English.

Sergi.

Bought the Flirc remote, installed the Flirc, added the Flirc Windows Media Center to my Logitech Harmony setup and it worked right out of the box. Even in the ModMyPi case (not sure how itā€™s supposed to receive the infrared channel but it does somehow). Yay!

1 Like

@spockfish: would it be possible to assign the Suspend/Wake button on the Flirc/Windows Media Center to the screen standby button on the Ropieee? That way, when I switch from listening music to watching TV with my Harmony remote, I donā€™t have to see the ā€˜no DACā€™ error screen for 10 minutes.

Hi, yes it works fine. What issues are you having?

No problem at all. I recall you had some trouble with it (on Aug 11). But I bought it anyway, and it worked immediately. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™ve been experimenting with RoPiee on RPi 3B+'s now for the last couple of days. Iā€™ve been using the RPiā€™s USB output - which goes to an iFi iPurifier2 - which then plugs into the USB input of a PS Audio Sprout 100.
I have noticed that with DSD64 and DSD128 files I could hear intermittent faint, light crackling through the speakers. It sounds like Iā€™m listening to vinyl.

Then I pulled out my RPi 4 (with 4GB) and flashed it with RoPiee. The crackling is gone! Iā€™m using the USB2 port (not the USB3) I can only assume the combination of a faster processor and better USB ports (no longer sharing bandwidth with the ethernet port) did the trick.

4 Likes

I think so. Iā€™m going RPi4 > Yellowtec PUC2 Lite > Yggy AES/EBU and thereā€™s no detectable noise.

1 Like

I had issues with the iFi iPurifier 3. I took it out of the USB chain, which took care of the problems with the USB DAC. Later on I read articles detailing the complete uselessness of products that claim to fix or better the USB signal, so nothing was lost by not using it at all.

I should add that I use a RPi 3B+ as well.

Itā€™s not about the CPU (performance is more than enough), but purely related to the shared bus vs separate bus: bandwidth.

So, I went back and re-imaged a RPi 3B+ and the new image works fine. DSD files play just perfectly. Whatā€™ya know. Something must have been hinky with the previous version.

Iā€™m still using the iPurifier2, but in the future if I detect anything ā€œoffā€, Iā€™ll try it without it.

1 Like