Ropieee with touch screen - decent and good looking case

Can you connect the raspberry pi separately for example by usb? So you can keep the raspberry pi somewhere else.

I recently went with a piece of 1 inch thick piece of Oak; angled at about 30 Degrees; then glued another piece as the stand. Screen mounted the proper way up :slight_smile:

It’s display only as zone is a Meridian MS200; IR remote control for volume, play/pause etc with a MSR.

Connected via WiFi; so it only has a single cable for power.

16 Likes

Wow. This is the best stand I’ve seen for the Raspberry Pi touchscreen.

1 Like

must have a nice wood shop in the back yard I guess :wink:

1 Like

I wish - quite the opposite actually… it was an off cut piece of wood from a shelf.

A couple of cuts on a chopsaw, guessed at an angle by eye, stuck together with a free glue sample from Screwfix Live and a rub over with some furniture wax.

Only cost was time.

Next version, I might add some flush mounted buttons somewhere for programmable keys connected to a separate ESP8266. That way I can start different Radio stations / playlist quickly (code already done to control via a single URL call).

This is probably WAY more than most folks would want. But I wanted to build a streamer for my workshop. I have a Naim Uniti Atom in my main living area and I really like the idea. Ropiee offers everything I want in an interface for my streamer, so it was just a matter of packaging.

This is a prototype to check out how I like it before I make a custom case. So I bought a $50 Chinese case from eBay. I milled out the front panel to hold the touch screen (my gimpy little mill took about 6 hours to do it. I also milled the back panel. The problem is that to get the right size front panel, I end up with quite a deep case. I may shorten it, but for now, I’m just going to install a shelf inside for drives if it ever gets used for volumio or something else.

I am using an old rPi 3 with the 7" touchscreen and Iancanada’s fifopi buffer and reclocker, and his ESS 9038 dual mono dac and transformer based analog stage. I am using his controller to allow me to have a hardware volume control from roon. The output of that streamer feeds an OEM nCore class D amp that sounds remarkably good. I also designed and etched a circuit board for the rPi power supply as well as a couple ancillary power supplies for the Iancanada boards. The amplifier can be shut off and it can be used as a line level component feeding an external amplifier.

So here’s some pictures of the case, and also the unit installed in my workshop driving a pair of Quad 2805’s

Sheldon

20 Likes

Very nice, mad skills (and tools).

1 Like

Congratulation and hat off to your project!
Could you provide me the link for ebay case? My friend would like to buy exactly yours.
Thank you.

Is this the eBay case Sheldon used?

1 Like

Yes! That’s it. I had replied privately to @Micheal_Burtun previously.

I’d love to see cases with the cutout for the display already done. Plus a bunch of holes for connectors on the back with caps for the unused ones. There could be short ones for endpoints or line level output and longer ones for including amplification or internal disk drives for people running Moode or Volumio.

Sheldon

@Sheldon_Stokes, I’d really like to see a shallow version, there really is a dearth of decent raspberry display cases. Any way to contact the manufacturer and get these customized?

I can certainly talk to some case makers and see what I can do. I do a bit of CAD as part of my day job, so designing a case would be pretty easy work.

Is anybody else interested in a case with a 7" display front? Obviously one or two will cost a whole lot more than a couple dozen.

Sheldon

1 Like

Seems like a total overkill unless you plan to do something like Sheldon did.

I’m going to point out again that for a display only I have yet to see this bettered. This thing is very nice. You should be talking to him and not me.

Sheldon

And, if you’re not into wood working, and have limited tools, I like this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WXK38YM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

@Sheldon_Stokes, I’d be interested in a better case for a display.

I’d be up for one.

BTW @Sheldon_Stokes the PCM63 based tube DAC I built based on your design way back is still in use by a friend - who really loves it!

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words. I still have mine as well, that design is still close to my heart, even though it’s old enough to vote.

Sheldon

2 Likes

Any chance you could share the design?:nerd_face:

1 Like

For Sheldon’s tube DAC - it’s here.
http://quadesl.com/dac.html

Probably impossible to get the digital filters and DAC chips these days.