Ropieee with touch screen - decent and good looking case

Thank you, will take a look.

1 Like

I wish ropieee had a VU meter option like the Nad M series units like M33

1 Like

Definitely, that would be cool. @spockfish

4 Likes

The benefit of this case is I believe you mount the screen right side up. However, I didnā€™t like it for two reasons: first, the front is asymmetric due to the extra bezel on the left; second, the RPi mounts all the way at the edge, making it impossible to hide cables.

Iā€™m interested in a better case as well but I donā€™t have complaints. Would probably add a second touch controller. Thanks,

No hiding those cablesā€¦but I really like the case.

I use this case: https://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Screen-Monitor-Touchscreen-Display/dp/B081VT2CPW

This is in my main system, so I wanted the look to be tidy and symmetric.

This case requires the Raspberry Piā€™s display to be mounted upside down, which doesnā€™t match the displayā€™s ideal viewing angle. So, I jerry rigged it to stand upside down! Also note the use of right angle adapters to neatly route the cables.

These are the right angle adapters:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S6B5X76/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BTW, I too use a portable Roon headphone setup, but mine is headless:

1 Like

Thatā€™s basically how I had my wireless, battery powered RPi4 with Dragonfly and using FLIRC case. Then, I added the screen, just for the fun of doing it, and got the case I have now.

1 Like

Assembling these RoPieee units has certainly been more fun than buying expensive audio components :slight_smile:.

3 Likes

Before I retired from flying airplanes, I assembled a bunch of Raspberry Pi GPS devices loaded with iFly GPS software and sold them on eBay. It was fun and easy, and I made a few bucks. There are some people who just donā€™t want to fool with DIY or are afraid of anything to do with computers.

I bought a Nucleus because I didnā€™t want to try a DIY NUC because I know nothing about Linux. It was easier and safer to pay $1119 for a Nucleus.

I was assembling a silent NUC this morning and came to the conclusion I was very much in my happy place!

2 Likes

L&G,
when setting up a RP Touchscreen under Ropieee, is it required to setup the PI as a Roon bridge?

Here is my use case. I would like to have a good Roon Remote wallmounted in my kitchen. This Remote would control the Roon Endpoint in my kitchen. However, the place where I would mount the Touch Screen is not the same as the place where my Roon Endpoint is. Hence my question. Can I setup a Touch Screen with a Pi and Ropieee, only to act as a remote? So with only a power cable attached and no audio cables?

In case anyone has already done something similar, I would love to see some pictures of wall-mounted displays!

Yes you can. You configure in RoPieee which zone it needs to control.

1 Like

Super! Thanks for your fast reply! Any cases you could recommend?

Can you setup the screen for portrait mode too? Or is it always landscape?

Its always landscapeā€¦ but you can have it upside down if your case needs it that way.

1 Like

Hello Jon,

Nice setup - this seems exactly what I am looking for. I want combine my Allo Digione Sig with a 7" RaspTouch setup which runs Ropieee as Flirc remote.
(For more info about adding remote control: https://youtu.be/C6dz3XqF7bg)

By the looks of it you just attached the Allo DigiOne Sig directly to the RaspTouch screen and left of the back cover of the screen. Clever.

But how did you connect HDMI and power to the Pi sitting in the DigiOne casing? Maybe some strategic pics could reveal how you did this.

Thanks

Yes you can. I have the setup below but want to ā€œmergeā€ with my Allo DigiOne Sig as they are in the same place. Maybe not such a good idea because of possible electrical noise and other interference from the screen?

Flirc remote for ROON : https://youtu.be/C6dz3XqF7bg

1 Like

Made out of three Ikea bamboo cutting boards. Iā€™m still looking for a nice piece of white wood for the side panel, now I have some cheap plywood offcut. Thereā€™s plenty of room inside so the boards do not overheat.
For a new version Iā€™m considering including somehow the Dragonfly DAC. Maybe cutting a window above the screen and cover with epoxy so only the actual colored dragonfly is shown.

9 Likes