Save Grouped Zones

+1 on this. Was really hoping this would be a feature in the 1.8 release after seeing so many ask for it. Roon is there a reason why this cannot happen?

+1.000 Definitely would use this loads

+1 On this. Grouping and ungrouping zones constantly isn’t a good solution.

+1 for the implementation of this feature - I currently have to rely on Airfoil for ad-hoc multiroom listening sessions.

+1 for the feature.

My frustration with the current implementation is that I have to keep re-enabling volume leveling after re-creating the grouped zone. It would be nice if Roon could at least remember the zone settings (Grouped Zone Name, Zone icon, Crossfade time, Volume leveling, Target volume level, Volume adjustment when loudness is unknown) when I re-form a group with the same set of zones.

Of course, being able to save frequently used groups (along with the above settings) would be lovely. Allowing access to zones that are part of a group without breaking up the group would be even better. When there’s a conflict (eg., playing something to a zone that’s in a group that’s active), the behavior most users might expect would be for that single zone to break off from the group and act independently…at least until it reaches the end of the queue.

+1 this would be great!

This is exactly why I do not use roon’s multiroom features, it’s just too annoying…
Here is roon’s answer, marked as “solution”: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/volume-settings-for-grouped-zones/60119/9

I still use grouped zones. Just wish it was easier. Noris correctly states that this is a Feature Request and not a Support issue. Hoping it will eventually make it to the top of the list.

2 Likes

Given that the original post on this topic was over 4 years ago, don’t hold your breath…

I just want to add my voice here. I have 10 endpoints in my home and adjusting which ones I want to use using the current zone grouping is quite annoying.

The typical use case is, I want to play in Kitchen (2 endpoints) and Living Room (3 endpoints) and later in the day I want to only play in Living Room. Then I have to ungroup and then create a new “living room” group.

I guess the feature I would like is to be able to “join endpoints” into a fixed group. The reason I have some many endpoints is cause I use Devialet Phantoms in a lot of rooms, and every speaker becomes its own Zone. For example Living Room I have 3x… It would be very convenient to be able to set them up as one Roon Zone. (yes I know I can somewhat group them in the Devialet app, but my experience with that is not great, I’d prefer to do it in Roon) :blush:

2 Likes

It definitely needs the options of saving groups and allowing single zone playback as well for each zone. It’s not very user friendly at all and considering UX always is high on Danny’s agenda for Roon this does seem at odds. Not sure why it would be so hard to achieve, but then I am no developer.

1 Like

This has been driving me crazy.

Originally I just thought I could not work out how to do this. Now I disappointingly realise it is not possible without manually grouping and ungrouping zones.

As many have stated, the need to group zones is transient, changing throughout day. It is such an easy fix. Just create the ability to save groups, while also being able to select individual zones/endpoints.

Even finding this post wasn’t easy. Given how long people have been asking for this feature, is there a central place this can be highlighted and upvoted, so it gets some more attention?

3 Likes

This is the right place: the Feature Suggestions category of the forum. All posts are read by the Roon team, and now that voting has been turned on, votes count as well.

Ok, great. Have voted.

I’d like to add my vote for this seemingly simple feature to be added to Roon. It would be a great addition.

If you want to add your vote - click the Vote button at the top of the thread - that’s what counts as a vote…

Cheers Geoff – have you voted?

On the suggestions that are important to me personally - yes. :grinning:

+1 for me. I don’t need anything too complicated. Let me save the group and leave the individual components of the group as options. If you play to the group, it stops any device in the group that is already playing. If someone plays something to the individual device when the group is playing, the group steam stops playing with an error message. This would fix my number one pet peeve with Roon. I know it’s been 4 years since the first request but it’d still be a little miracle if you all added this feature.