Save Grouped Zones

Picking different zone each time is NOT user friendly. Can endpoints be grouped into pre-defined Zones? example.

1. Zone 1: Whole House - Includes all endpoints; Front Patio, Swimming Pool, Roof Deck, Living Room, Office, Master Bed Room, etc.,
  2. Zone 2: Outdoor - Includes only the Front Patio, Swimming Pool and Roof Deck end points
  3. Zone 3: Indoor - Include only indoor endpoints

While also being able to play to a single EndPoint like say Front Patio if one of the zones that Front Patio is involved in is not playing at the time.

Thanks,

3 Likes

No it canā€™t. There is undoubtedly a feature request for this; you can search the forum and add your vote.

There is ā€¦ @Sang_Peiris Iā€™ve merged your topic into it.

Agreed! This would easily be my #1 feature request and exactly how I would want it arranged!

1 Like

:100: agree. Itā€™s a huge oversight that this isnā€™t already available.

Hi @Louis_Clayton, welcome to the forum.
If this feature is high on your list may I suggest voting for it via the box right at the top of the topic.

I just moved, and am in the process of switching from Chromecast to RAAT as the backbone of my whole-home music playback.

After using Chromecast groups for literally years (since long before roon was even available), I was really surprised to not see any easy way to create a group of RAAT endpoints in the app, and even more surprised to find this thread confirming that the feature doesnā€™t even exist yet!

Is this on the feature roadmap yet or does it need to meet a certain vote threshold first? (I just voted)

I just started a trial - I have a Roon Ready amp and three Raspberry Pi devices that I have been running on LMS and Squeezelite. I spent the last several hours experiencing Roon and itā€™s really good - but this is a glaring omission, especially with several years of votes and comments here.

What I want to do is really simple:

1. Play to the kitchen or
  2. Play to the front porch or
  3. Play to the kitchen and the porch at the same time without reconfiguring Roon

It would just be named groups of devices - but the devices HAVE to be able to be in multiple groups.

2 Likes

Agree times a thousand.

Cā€™mon folks, this is a no-brainer slam-dunk crowd pleaser win. Letā€™s go!

Feb 2017 was when this request was first made in this chain. Itā€™s hard to think of a feature more consistently requested over the years. I have 13 zones and Iā€™m constantly regrouping but the need for me is no greater than for the person who only has a handful. As much as I love some of the features Iā€™m testing in Roon 2.0 this one remains at the top of my list of needs. Itā€™s frankly beyond me to know how this one hasnā€™t made it into a release for this long when it seems like such basic and needed functionalityā€¦ā€¦

4 Likes

Hi,

probably not a solution for everyone, but:
I just added group and ungroup functionality to my extensions macro.on, see Roon Extension macro.on. You could define macros that group and ungroup your audio outputs and run these macros with a single click or by calling an URL (you can trigger macros for example using Siri or Apple Shortcuts or any other framework that is able to issue http requests).

Just an idea :wink:

1 Like

Hi Boris! I havenā€™t take a closer look to your macro.on so one question: is it possible do control such a macro with DeepHarmony? That could be a nice workaround to this annoying ā€œBugā€ in Roonā€¦

Hi Matthias,
Iā€™m not familiar with the DeepHarmony extension or Logitech Harmonyā€¦ you would just have to find a way to send an http GET request to macro.on. Is this possible?

It isā€¦ But not in a convenient way :sweat_smile:

I strongly support this feature request
Save volume leveling settings for grouped zones / Make grouped zones appear like a dedicated zone (like in Sonos for example)

1 Like

I am very supportive of this request, I donā€™t want to constantly ungroup zones to use a single zone.

T.

+1 it would save so much constant fiddling

For us, this is a bigger ask than the mobile client, Its our biggest hassle with Roon.

Yes definitely +1 I am new to Roon and drove a set of speaker into clipping the other day not realizing this auto leveling setting does not carry over when grouping two zones together. I am constantly having to set it when I group my upstairs and downstairs systems together. I am amazed by the tech in Roon and the fact that both systems play in perfect time. But please fix this; I donā€™t want to have to worry about cooking speakers in the future. All my amps and pre-amps are old school; I have no other remote controls other than what roon provides.

New Roon user here. Iā€™m really enjoying the service and am considering purchasing a lifetime subscription.

The ability to save groups and to set up multiple groups would be extremely useful. The lack of it is the one thing I have consistently been annoyed by in my experience with Roon. I have what I assume is a small setup compared to many (four Roon endpoints in a small, one-storey house), yet Iā€™ve had many times in the couple of months Iā€™ve been using Roon where I would have loved to have been able to select a saved ā€œkitchen + dining roomā€ group or ā€œkitchen + dining room + living roomā€ group. I can only imagine how much more useful this would be for the folks out there with larger setups (and how annoying it is to have to manually select groups every time for such setups).

Iā€™m not a programmer, so I understand itā€™s probably not as easy to set this up as one would think (I know on the Bluesound forums people have been asking for the same functionality through BluOS for about as long as this thread has been going, and that has yet to happen in BluOS, so it must be harder than it sounds).

That said, in my limited experience with Roon, if there is one feature I would like to see implemented that would turn my not-too-tough-already decision to go for the lifetime Roon buy into a no-doubt-Iā€™m-doing-this-thing, it would be this. So, how about it, Roon?