Scan always alive

This is definitely starting to look like data base corruption. @xxx has reported on a problem where Roon does backup of a corrupted data base without indicating any errors. In the end this leads to all backups being corrupted (when numbers of backups you’ve set is reached).
Roon needs to add a check/repair tool for their data base. Starting with a new empty DB is certainly a problem when one has put lots of work adding metadata.

Hello @Stef_Dahl, the QA team got back to us with some feedback about this thread. Could you please:

1. Can you please update to version 610? We made some changes that could help here.
  2. Could you please add “-storagetrace” to the command line argument for your shortcut? I’ve included a picture of this below. Adding this will allow us to collect a more detailed trace.
  3. Reboot your core.
  4. Initiate the scan one more time when you open Roon and let me know what happens and when. I’d like to send one more report to the team.

This was followed after Dylan’s July 22 post.
No changement (always spinning) and nothing more since … you can resume reading from 22.
Without a response from the support service, I stopped running the “–storagetrace” option

Do I have to start over?

I did an installation from the scratch. I shut down Roon, renamed the folder in Appdata and all reinstalled RoonServer without imported backup.
After scanning the files … import finished … and the scan is still running !!! :angry:

lol… backup your old db using the embedded backup tool Roon has. Use an uninstaller software, reboot the box, reinstall Roon from scratch, start over your db.

Already done … I can take the problem in all directions … the blue disc is still spinning!

hmmm so if the issue is not your DB it may be your files… why don’t you add a new repository for your files, add that location to Roon, then progressively start moving your files to that location 100 or 500 files at a time, that way you may be able to identify when it happens and with which set of files.

as well I would not trust your storage device, if you can move your data over to another target that may help discard the issue is something among your filesystem metadata or so…

I saw you have added your network share with short name, you may change that to the IP address I won’t trust DNS resolution within an small home network relaying in your router (likely) as DNS server.

I do not understand everything … and as we say in French "J’y perds mon Latin !! " (I lose my Latin!).
I tested my backup SSD directly on my Roon Core.
I managed this solution for hours to stabilize the scan.
The same files on the NAS (which was working before opening this topic) are constantly scanned.
I decided to split the library by creating a sub
“ROON” folder which is not visible in the 1st library (All folders except “ROON”).
And a second library which points only to the “ROON” folder, directory of the root folder (see screenshot… in english).
I had to do multiple tries before I got a balance … potentially unstable if I distribute the files differently.
Moreover, I had succeeded in the same thing, 2 days ago and after 2 reboots … permanent scan on one of the two libraries.
The explanation ??? I’m still looking for … a samba version or configuration problem on Synology that would only affect me ??

2 hours later… only reboot of my NAS (not Roon Core).
Sames folders, same files, same librairies.
Scan don’t stop on the 2nd library
French interface

I don’t understand your screenshot. A Watched Folder will always include all sub-folders within it.

So if you have told Roon to watch \music, then it will also be watching the content of the \music\Roon folder. You therefore appear to have told Roon to watch the content of the Roon folder twice. Is this why it is getting confused? I know I am…

Not if you excluded it in Storage > Folders, settings like “tmp” folder.

does smell like Synology related issue… filesystem metadata issue?
what if you do create a new smb share in the Synology then move over your files?
do you have more than 1 storage pool in the storage array? so you can move data to another pool
what if you do attach the usb ssd to the Synology then share it as samba share then present it to your core?

you may play with linux… create a vm using vmw workstation or virtual box in the nuc, set the networking to bridged, install ubuntu linux server 20, restore your db in the newly created vm, what happens?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.