Schiit Modi 3 disappeared

Roon Core Machine

ROCK hosted on NUC. OS version 1.0 (build 254) production.
Roon Server Software version 2.0 (build 1211) production

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Ubiquiti network. ROCK/NUC is directly connected to Unifi switch via Ethernet. Windows 11 client PC is directly connected to Unifi switch via Ethernet. Music storage is on Unraid file server, also directly connected to Unifi switch.

Connected Audio Devices

Schiit Modi 3 DAC connected to Windows 11 PC with USB cable. It is selected within Windows as the output device: Speakers - Schiit Modi 3. It works for all other Windows programs.

Number of Tracks in Library

7,309 tracks
This music is hosted on a separate Unraid file server.

Description of Issue

I have not used Roon in a long time. On my previous PC, this DAC worked fine with Roon under Windows 10. I just built this PC, and installed the Roon Windows client. Roon updated itself to version 2.0. When I attempted to play music on this PC, the Schiit is not listed among the available endpoints. The only local endpoints listed are all HDA Intel HDMI x, and HDA Intel PCH.

Can you post a screen shot of your Settings/audio page in Roon on the Win11 PC?
Should look something like this:

Your screen shot was helpful. I had forgotten that there should be a “This PC” section, which is not appearing on mine.

I keep all of my IoT devices, including audio, on a separate IoT VLAN. As a test, I temporarily switched my Windows PC to the IoT VLAN, and “This PC” reappeared in my Roon client. When I switched it back to my default LAN, it disappeared.

What is strange is that all of my music is stored on my file server, which is on the default LAN and not on the IoT VLAN. The Roon server see this music library with no problem across the VLAN boundary, as I have a firewall rule in place to allow it to do so. This same rule should allow it to see my WIndows PC and its devices, yet it does not.

The path of least resistance is to move the Roon server to the default LAN, but 1) it worked this way before and 2) the Roon server can see my music library across the LAN boundary. Why doesn’t it see my Schiit DAC now, when it did before in this same configuration?

Two things have changed since I last used Roon: Roon introduced a major upgrade, and Unifi has updated their software.

I think it’s more a matter of the windows machine not exposing its Devices to Roon.

Have you tried adding Roon.exe and RAATserver.exe to the windows machine firewall?

1 Like

I was excited to try your suggestion, but unfortunately there are already Roon exceptions in place in my Norton 360 firewall:

I did try disabling the firewall altogether, and it made no difference.

You might check to make sure Windows defender is not somehow turned on or has a rule set?
On mine Norton controls most of it, however there is a section, “advanced settings”, that has inbound and outbound rules that can be overridden.

If this does not help then we might need to wait for @support to take a look and help out.

I double checked. Norton definitely has Windows Defender disabled.

With Windows you will need to make sure that the Network Profile is set to “Private” and not “Publc”.

–MD

1 Like

Hi @Bob_Breum,

Circling back here, as routine account diagnostics indicate that ROCK still can’t see any endpoints managed via the Windows audio drivers on your remote (including the Schit Modi 3, computer speakers, and any USB-connected endpoints on that computer).

Do you have the latest Windows audio drivers installed on the target machine? Roon isn’t reading ASIO or Wasapi, so it’s not clear how Windows itself is processing audio.

This has all the trappings of a Windows firewall issue (independent of Norton), so please double-check the OS firewall exceptions here if you haven’t already.

If you’ve already confirmed all of the above and still have issues, try clearing RAATServer to refresh device discovery and clear any cached devices. You’ll want to create a Backup to preserve your custom DSP settings for other Zones and additional customization:

• Create a Backup of your current Roon database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RAATServer”
  • Rename the “RAATServer” folder to “RAATServer_old”
  • Restart the Roon App to generate a new RAATServer folder

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.