Screen flickering and waves

Roon Core software, installed on pc, causes Dell screen flickering. And there are waves in the Dell screen when I move the wireless mouse wheel up or down. Roon is the only application that makes the screen malfunction. No flickering or waves in task manager.
Installing the Roon Core a week ago.
Updated all drivers and programs.

Dell XPS 8940
Intel(R) Core™ i9-10900 CPU @ 2.80GHz
W11, 22H2, v. 22621.900
x64

DELL ULTRASHARP 25 MONITOR U2520D
60,01 Hz
No HDR

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER v. 31.0.15.2698
Intel® UHD Graphics 630 v. 27.20.100.9664

Microsoft USB Dual Receiver Wireless Keyboard and Mouse

Hi @Marc_Landry, welcome to the community. A fellow user here, but your symptoms may be related to your video driver. Not sure which video systems you have configured to run Roon, but have you confirmed that your RTX 2070 Super is running the latest NVIDIA driver which appears to be 527.37 released yesterday? Intel’s latest video driver from October is 31.0.101.3790 and 31.0.101.2114 depending on your specific configuration.

Hi Robert,
Latest NVIDIA Studio driver is v.526.98, 11/16/2022 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER v. 31.0.15.2698)
Latest video driver with Dell is Intel® UHD Graphics 630 v. 27.20.100.9664 (OEM).

Last Intel drivers are Windows DCH Drivers.
Intel recommends getting the graphics driver directly from your computer manufacturer…

Same bug like Nicodemus, Roon causing screen flickering on Windows 11

NVIDIA Studio driver and NVIDIA Game ready driver are not the same

Hi @Marc_Landry welcome to the Roon Community

Like the others have suggested, most likely a video driver problem. I did have this when I used slim client as a core once. If I unplugged the Ethernet cable it also stopped.

I never sort my issue out and swapped to a different machine. I now use a Dell Optiplex 740 as my main Roon Server/Core device and do not experience these issues.

I’d be interest to know what is causing yours.

Hi @AMT
I will check with & without ethernet connection
I have reinstalled Intel and Nvidia drivers, without success
I’m going to try a reinstall of drivers, this time, in safe mode
At least I will have tried this possible solution
After that, I don’t know what to do

Anyone got other ideas?

To Technical Roon support, it is only in interaction with the Roon Core that this happens…
Many people have the same problem

Hi @Marc_Landry

Only happens with Roon?

Out of curiosity, what Cat are you Ethernet cables?

Hi @AMT
Yes, only happens with Roon app (for pc) on my dell screen !!

No change after reinstalling driver in safe mode
No change if I unplug the Ethernet cable
I don’t think drivers troubles
The problem seems to come from Roon

Cables:
Network router to streamer: Melco high definition audio ethernet digital C1AE
Pc to dac: Audioquest Carbon Usb A to B
Streamer transport to dac: Tellurium Q Black II digital rca to bnc
I don’t believe there is electromagnetic interference
The sound is perfect

1 Like

That’s my redundant profile

With regards to your issue, it’s a wee puzzle.

As for the “wave” in the screen, it appears at the bottom 2/3 of the screen, when the mouse (wireless) wheel scrolls the page
I will try reinstalling the wireless keyboard and mouse
Who knows ?

Regardless of the hardware, software and configurations, the common point of the problem for users is the graphic compatibility of the Roon Core with its environment

Hi @AMT and @Robert_F

I realize that the problem of waves and variation in screen brightness only occurs in dark mode and not in light mode (Roon: settings/configure/themes: dark or clear).

To solve the problem, I opened the windows control panel, then Hardware and sound, then Power options. I removed the performance mode to put back the automatic balanced mode of the manufacturer Dell (or Windows).

And the problem is gone.

It wasn’t a driver issue.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.