Scroll not functioning on trackpad with Magic Keyboard on 4th gen iPad Pro

+1 for better external keyboard support. Scrolling just doesn’t work at the moment…

3 Likes

It appears this is never going to be fixed. Count me among those who are leaving Roon for Apple Music due to this problem and the generally poor support for iOS.

2 Likes

The Qobuz app on iPad OS does scrolling correctly.

I’m on all Naim devices for streaming (NDX2, Atom, Mu-so 2 and Mu-so Qb2). Once Naim implements Qobuz Connect (and they will) I may not have a reason to use Roon anymore, especially since it crashes all the time on my iPad and is broken with regard to the OS built-in trackpad scrolling with the Magic Keyboard.

2 Likes

Was sure I had posted on this topic before, but apparently not in this thread. Please fix this hardware support, it is highly annoying.

Thankfully the horisontal orientation was solved in one of the more recent releases. So now only this hurdle is left, to make the iPad with keyboard a serious alternative. It catches me off guard every time I use Roon, as I can’t think of any other app that doesn’t let me use the keyboard.

4 Likes

Description:
Scrolling the roon interface is not possible with integrated touch pad of an external keyboard.
Hardware: newest iPad Air iOS 15.0.2 and Magic Keyboard

1 Like

This is an Apple issue they have stopped support for Magic Mouse and Trackpad! Can’t scroll webpages

??? I’m scrolling this one with my Magic Keyboard & Pad.

I think you’re mixing concerns.

This issue discussed here refers specifically to the Magic Keyboard on the 2021 iPad Pro. It is not an Apple issue. It’s a Roon issue. The trackpad on the Magic Keyboard works just fine with every other app I use, including web browsers. Only Roon is broken with regard to scrolling using the Magic Keyboard trackpad.

I just installed iPad OS 15.1 and the scrolling feature is still broken. It is not possible to scroll the Roon UI with the trackpad alone (as is possible in every other app), Scrolling in Roon only works by activating the cursor and scrolling with that, which is rather more cumbersome.

4 Likes

Facing the same problem. (No surprise!) How can it be that I am paying a high yearly license fee for a (great) software and this essential feature is addressed for over a year and not getting fixed? Very poor support!

1 Like

I am under the impression this one is no easy fix, but to remedy this another framework needs to be used. I totally understand if Roon team has other priorities, as choosing a different framework probably means large parts of the UI needs to be rewritten. To fix something which only a small subset of users experience…

Still annoying as hell if you are on an iPad with the Apple keyboard.

I am told by people who know a lot more about these things than me that Roon’s choice of a “bloated” and “outdated” platform was a poor one.
An Apple iPad Pro with Apple keyboard is not some edge case scenario.
Ironically, I received an email from Roon today saying this:
“ Our mission is to delight music lovers, and if there is anything we could be doing better, we want to know about it. We’re committed to getting it right.”

Unless you have an iPad trackpad of course, in which case we will ignore your requests for two years.

1 Like

This is silly, because it’s built into the iPad OS and works automatically for apps. It’s not some optional feature one decides to implement. It shouldn’t be broken to begin with. Roon broke it or whatever framework they use. Not to mention, this isn’t some edge case. There are a lot of people using iPad Pros with Magic Keyboards.

1 Like

Ah yes, they delay out of spite. :angel:

My use case is as hindered as yours on this. Don’t think for a second it doesn’t annoy me, but there is probably an explanation to why it hasn’t been done yet. But we can all be angry together of course.

1 Like

We all have a point of view, but the iPad OS Roon app is a F-U mess. The usability issues are the least of it. The app crashes constantly, and this has been a problem since iPad OS 13. We’re now on iPad OS 15. I filled out some form Roon wanted aboput my operating environment and they responded to say they turned on diagnostics and would be in touch about it. That was during the summer. It’s been crickets ever since. There’s not a whole lot of love for Roon from where I sit.

1 Like

I’m sure if it was a free app that didn’t support a common piece of hardware - let’s say for example Volumio (they do support it, like every other app out there) then I’m sure we would all be in a Zen-like state of calm about it :pray:

But for those paying £100 a year subscription or whatever it is, allow them their rage.

3 Likes

@noris @beka Hi team

Any update on this issue?
Having come back on the 3 month deal it’s frustrating to find this still isn’t fixed, at this point i’m looking for a fix before my 3 months is up to commit further with Roon.

This is a basic IOS function, can you please confirm if it can be delivered on the platform.

2 Likes

One of the great mysteries of our time is why developers go completely silent on pernicious and oft-reported problems like this, choosing instead to let their customers speculate and concoct stories in lieu of any transparency or communication.

The iPadOS app is a mess. The problems are not “features”, they are fundamental, functional flaws with standard and expected app behavior. The UI is slow and does not feel fluid compared to any well-developed app. Simple, expected behaviors such as swiping to move forward and back within the navigation do not work as expected. The behavior with the Magic Keyboard and trackpad is simply broken–it does not work properly. The app is highly unstable, routinely crashing at launch, or when performing mundane operations such as basic navigation. No one at Roon has offered any explanation or response after a year and a half, so one must assume that they do not see these as problems worth addressing. Calling these “features” confers exceptional status on very unexceptional behaviors.

It’s a disappointing experience for an app I use every single day. I suffer through it because I’m a lifetime subscriber (and a sucker for the sunk cost fallacy), but more importantly, because I absolutely LOVE what Roon has to offer so much that I am willing to endure a miserable app experience to get it. The vote I cast with my dollars has long since become irrelevant, so now I can only vote with my words. I assume that newer users who are voting with their dollars are having similar experiences, so perhaps these concerns are unique to a small, vocal subset of the market.

11 Likes

Yeah I agree, pretty sad really.

There was a another iOS/iPadOs Roon app update today. Forget about it. This isn’t getting fixed.

Between the constant app crashing and crickets from Roon on that and this issue, I have changed my account to turn auto-renewal off. I’m done with it in April. I’ll just use Qobuz directly, and attach my files to my Naim NDX2 in server mode. I’ll be happy to save the money since I’m semi-retired as of April 4, when my Roon sub expires.

1 Like

Roon Labs Hello Roon team. Incredible update, smooth interface, enhanced search etc., kudos!

Some of us are still concerned that the scrolling issue on the Apple Magic Keyboard has still not be fixed. We are wondering if you’re hearing our voices, it’s definitely an immense pain point. Please seriously consider fixing this issue - not sure why there’s been a lot of push back on this small fix. So team let’s just fix this once and for all, you’ll surely make Roon users very happy.
All the best.

9 Likes