Search Function and Double Tracks

I just got the Roon Nucleus (and Roon software on my iPad) about a month ago and have a couple of probably basic questions.

Is the search engine supposed to find any word in an album or track title, or just the first words? Sometimes when I type in the complete name of a song, it doesn’t come up, but when I go to the album the song is in, it does appear there. Why wouldn’t it come up in the search?

Some albums list each track twice. Why is that? And can I remove all the duplicate tracks at once, or do I have to delete each track separately?

Ok, third question out of two: Can playlists be put in alphabetical order, by artist or track title?

(Edited by mod to make readable on forum)

Your post would be easier to read and therefore you might get help quicker if you simply typed directly into this forum thread.

1 Like

OP’s post edited to make reading easier.

Yes.

What you may be seeing here is Roon initially prompts with potential completions to your search that exactly match items in your library. If you mistype something that prompt disappears.

However don’t give up, just hit return and the search is carried out over your library and whatever streaming services you subscribe to. This search should be more forgiving of typos and missing words.

They shouldn’t. I need more information to understand why. Can you provide a screenshot or two please? Including Settings > storage (you may have locations scanned twice)

Tap/click on a column header name.

Thank you for such a prompt response! With respect to songs, some still do not come up when I type in the exact title name, even when I hit return, but I know they are in my library because if I bring up the album they’re in, they are there. As a bizarre example, when I search for It’s Raining Men, the exact title, the track doesn’t come up. But if I just search for “Raining,” it does. (Or if I search “Weather” or “The Weather Girls,” the album with that track comes up.) If I search for “I’ve Got the Music in Me,” or even just “Music,” etc., the track doesn’t come up. When I search for Kiki Dee, she comes up as an artist and I can then find the track.

I can’t send a screen shot of the twice-listed tracks because I already deleted the duplicate tracks one by one on the 2 albums I found this on. But looking back at my iTunes on my computer, it seems I burned the same album twice, once in lossless mode and once as Mpeg, though frankly I don’t know why that would have happened–the default was set to lossless. But that seems to explain the duplicate tracks.

If I may ask one more question, I have some confusion about release dates. I burned the 50th anniversary remix of Abbey Road, but when I bring up the album, “top result,” some of the tracks say “(2019 mix)” next to the title, but some don’t. And the release date for the album shows as the original 1969, not 2019. (And yes, I know all of these album and track titles I’m asking about date me. Or carbon date me.) If I go into credits for the album, it does show Giles Martin under mixing, so that tells me this is definitely the 2019 version. Is there a way for Roon to tell me the re-release date as well as the release date for an album so I know definitively which version I’m looking at?

When you say “they don’t come up”, are you referring to the auto-suggestions that Roon pops up as you are typing? If so, does the “it’s raining men” search pop up at all as you type character by character? If you mean the result of the full search, then I am puzzled. Do you have Tidal or Qobuz? I see lots of results from Tidal (I don’t have Qobuz).

I wonder if you could add a screenshot of the search result please?

On release dates, Roon will try and identify an album against its metadata (usually Allmusic) and populate the credits accordingly. Unfortunately, this is not always 100%.
You can try and match to a different release using the 3 dots edit > identify function. For Instance, on Abbey Road, there are 16 different releases to choose from.

The Roon Knowledge Base is a useful resource here and i recommend this article on editing.

Finally, the forum uses the Markdown formatting syntax, so starting a paragraph with 4 spaces means you want to start a code segment. Which you don’t here. I’ve fixed your post above.

Here’s screen shots of what happens initially after typing in the whole title (which essentially is nothing) and what happens after pressing return, getting some strange icons but not the correct album or track.

Have you rebooted everything ?

Ok, you obviously don’t have a streaming service. So we can concentrate on your library. There seems to be a common character causing problems - the apostrophe. Are you quite sure you’ve got the same character in both the track title and the search string?

Here’s the screen of the album with the track in it. Same spelling as my search.

Ged above suggests rebooting. Do you think that would work? Is that done in Setup with Configure Roon OS devices? Thanks.

Those apostrophes look different…

Interesting. A search for that track works for me whether or not I type in the apostrophe.

It’s never been known to do any harm.

Yes, that will do. It’ll take you to the web interface where you’ll see a reboot option.

Humour me…
I still don’t like the two different apostrophes. As they are being displayed on the same device, the fact that they look different implies that they are different. Does your keyboard have an alternative?

The keypad (on the iPad screen) does have an alternative apostrophe, but neither one brings up the track. On the reboot, any reboot of anything scares me. I’ve made a number of corrections in Roon so far, including merging albums that were displayed piecemeal, removing duplicate tracks, etc. Is a reboot going to undue those changes?

No it shouldn’t. BUT you have made a backup haven’t you?
Settings > backups

1 Like

All of the music is backed up in the sense that I first downloaded/burned it to iTunes in my iMac computer, and then transferred it to the external hard drive that is connected to the Roon Nucleus and my music system. So all of the music is in both my iMac and the external hard drive. But iTunes in my iMac does not reflect how the Roon app on my iPad has organized the music. Is there a way to backup what’s on the Roon app on the iPad?

@BrianW isn’t referring to your music collection. He is asking about your Roon library, i.e. database.

That can only be backed up from the Nucleus by using Settings==>Backup.

1 Like

@xxx is right. Roon backups will preserve every edit or addition you make, the history of all your plays, the setup of your endpoints… everything except your music files themselves.

It’s easy to do, and easy to set up a schedule so that it happens automatically. This KB article gives all the information.

Please do it.

I forgot, but I had set a backup schedule, so that has been occurring. Trying to figure out how to reboot. Tried the Setup/Configure Roon OS devices, but that didn’t seem to do anything–just got a screen referring to the nucleus and saying Done. Should I go into backups and do a Restore of the most recent backup–is that a reboot? Or is there some other way?