Search is broken, it is indefensible

I agree: ROON search is not good. I have to search in Spotify of all things, find the album/artist/song and then re-search in ROON and MAYBE it finds it. Otherwise, I have to go into TIDAL or QOBUZ and search there. Really really cumbersome…

I’ve been using Roon since 2015. It has been my primary music server since then.

For me, search has never been great, but it has been usable for most circumstances. However, since the builds 88x, search has slowed immensely on my system, and the search results seem no better. In short, a step backwards.

I am certain that the Roonies will sort this out and I believe it to be at least partially because Roon is moving to some web based data storage.

At the same time, I am experiencing some audio dropouts when the Roon core is working, a situation that I’ve never experienced before. Again, I’m confident that the Roon team will get the issues fixed.

And before anybody slams my network, it is gigabit fiber with all Roon devices connected via Ethernet cabling with good throughput. I’m also using Cloudflare DNS at the router.

It will get better.

BW

Somebody will slam your network because it is your network, or an issue with your internet provider’s network. I’ve had minor issues with dropouts and delays in songs playing over the years in two countries with speeds of 100, 200, 400, 500, 1 gig and 1,5 gig. All totally wired. Every time it’s been a network issue (mostly mine, sometimes my ISP) that I have resolved on my own. It is not Roon. I’m sure we would all be having this problem if it were a Roon issue.

Talking about Search results in this thread, So, apart from the case of Search being slow, there is no network cause for getting inadequate Search results.

I suspect that there are a few edge cases, DNS for search services and the like.

I regularly get errors with search that restrict to my local library. “Can’t connect to Roon Search.” Not sure if that’s on my end (though I doubt it …) or on Roon’s side.

not sure if @ultrafud has tried this, but I am betting this will work, also.

I have a bunch of personal compositions on my hard drive that are part of my music library. Unidentified by Roon, obviously. The filter finds them no problem, even if they might be tough to find in a regular search.

Starting to type any word will magically filter results, and eventually you should see the album/artist/track you’re looking for in your library.

Not needing to defend the OP but i think you are being rather pedantic. He clearly stated that he searched for LOVE TRAIN. He has only one copy on his local server with no streaming, and it is not showing up. Why are you berating him for his request for help? He has answered every question. He has a legitimate problem and you want to beat him up over it!

3 Likes

You’re right. I thought the way you have expressed it is a bit extreme but, on reflection, you’re right. It is crap. I’ve had similar things happen.

Well, no, he hasn’t. He’s been asked, twice now, to respond to @zenit’s questions. Zenit is the Roon Labs developer working on the Search service, and he’s trying to help, but his requests are going unanswered.

Don’t buy it. Roons got ridiculously slower for searches.since this build . We all brought it up in the beta and its still slow.

There have been lots of instances in the past where their servers have been very slow not everybody got the slowness as it was random here it would take up to 30sec or longet. Yet Roon did eventually find it was their servers and this slowness still happens often under heavy load. It’s not my network nor my ISP as all was pretty quick before this release as soon as 1.88 dog slow as it was in the beta. I have tried 4 different DNS providers all the same. It’s now on average 3-5 secs to return a result which is slow.

2 Likes

I was referring to the comment: “At the same time, I am experiencing some audio dropouts when the Roon core is working, a situation that I’ve never experienced before.” Then the poster informed us: “And before anybody slams my network, it is gigabit fiber with all Roon devices connected via Ethernet cabling with good throughput. I’m also using Cloudflare DNS at the router.”

1 Like

This doesnt tally with my experience in 1.8. My searches are pretty much instant (certainly in the ~1 second range), so Im not sure whats going on. If anything it seems quicker in this release than previously. I havent changed anything network related, I have been using Cloudflare DNS for a couple of years now.

So I get initial suggested search results (below the search bar) instantly, but then they get replaced 2-3 times more as more results flow in. After hitting return it’s nearly instant to get the “full search page back. It’s the suggested results flowing in slowly that is really bothersome - and I think we are often conflating the two features & behaviors, which are likely technically very different.

Both are near enough instant for me, but I agree there could be very different processing demands between the two.

Nothings changed here either but it’s noticably slower. DNS doesn’t change this at all. I am on ROCK core is fully wired.

I find it off putting that people so readily vent about things and then get hyper with each other. It honestly puts me off from contributing. We all may not be putting in the correct search terms but for quite some time I have searched and searched for specific albums, I know that I have them in local ripped CDs but Roon will not pick them up. I have not been terminally bothered by it since my internet connection was recently upgraded from 5M to 100G so I have enjoyed streaming instead. I have let that hide the fact that the Roon search is either incredibly exacting, inflexible or has some serious problem with it. Changing syntax of the search can radically change the results often in non-overlapping ways. That should not happen with a flexible search tool

1 Like

The suggestion earlier to go to either “albums” or “artists” or “tracks” and use the FILTER — has been a revelation. It finds absolutely everything I’ve tried.

Now, this works for items IN YOUR LIBRARY, not all the keywords in the musical universe.

I’d love for those who are having issues searching to try that and report back.

35 albums - many with versions on both Tidal and Qobuz. Also 4 artists, many tracks, and 4 compositions.

Nearly instant.

Which artist? Compilation?

Given the angst that has been shown here, it is difficult to be able to provide a constructive response that may assist.
As a database programmer myself, I can sympathise with both the user and the programmer. In my experience the majority of issues can be traced back to user input rather than the database application, but both can occur. A case in point - “The program doesn’t work because I searched for ‘Brian’ and he didn’t come up and I know he is there because I created his record only 5 minutes ago.” Yes, it was there - as Brain, not Brian. Until you see that, no amount of re-entering the search criterion is going to help.
To properly debug this type of issue, we need to see what is going on, not just have a description of what is going on. Until we can see that, could you try these steps?
This is not how you would normally search but a step through to check where the issue might lie. I recommend using a desktop client for this.

First
Make sure the album entry exists
1 use settings - storage - (three dots) - Force rescan
2 use settings - Library - clean up library
3 reboot the core (this is a way to clear deleted albums from the cache)
4 in Albums layout, show all your local albums and sort by album title - see if it appears.
Note that you can type ahead here to jump through the results.
Does the album title properly agree?
Note that there is a possibility that the album is hidden

Secondly
Once you can confirm the album exists
Check search - do this with the album name and again with the performer’s name
(By this time you should have picked up the performers name under step 4 above)
1 Use the filter input field to filter the results. Did it respond correctly?
2 Use the search glass to search.
Expand the results through scrolling (yes people have missed the sections below the pagefold)
Even if your album is not identified this search should still retrieve it (I just checked - it does)

Hopefully this might reveal something useful.

4 Likes