Second computer Mac, with hqplayer integration

Room shows three zones, 1 core, 2 core with HQPlayer, 3 Mac. I am not able to set up an NAA that Roon will see. How do I set up the NAA correctly?
Thanks
PS. I am no computer expert please explain it like I am a 10 year old :sunglasses:

I am using roon server as remote on Mac. It would never install the bridge correctly. Not sure if that has something to do with it. I have a feeling I do not know how to set up the hqplayer correctly.
Thanks again
Dave

Hi David,

Before turning to HQP, you should be able to install Roon Bridge on the Mac without difficulty. Use the installer on the Software page.

Roon doesn’t see an NAA. Roon sees HQP and sends the audio to HQP when it is selected as a zone. HQP handles distribution, sees the NAA and can be configured to send audio to it.

Although you can use a Mac as an NAA it is usual to use a lighter footprint computer.

Firstly, install the NAA software Mac version on the Mac.

If you are using a USB output on the Mac, make sure the DAC is on with its USB input selected. Roon and HQP can only see active USB connections.

Go to HQP, you should see the IP address of the Mac in Tools/Network naming. Set a name for it.

In HQP Settings, choose Network Audio Adapter as the Backend and you should see your Mac as an option in Devices. Choose it.

To set up HQP see:
This KB page about Roon/HQP;
This Kick Start Guide about starting settings in HQP; and
The HQP manual, latest version is in the HQP folder.

Check back here if you strike problems :smile:

I have installed and deleted everything 3 times on bridge but it will not launch. It shows open but can not be closed or forced closed because it does not show on the computer or on the iPad. I am not sure why?

Roon Bridge runs in the background. There is no interface for it and nothing to launch. It is either installed and on, or not installed. If it is installed then the outputs on the Mac will show as available zones to send audio to on a Control. If it is not installed (and there is no other Roon program on the Mac) then the outputs won’t show.

Andy, on another tread Roon staff acknowledged an issue with Mac Minis sleeping when running Roon Briidge. This could be a contributing factor.

Likewise I’m using HQ Player in NAA mode on a 2nd mac laptop (on my network) with optical out to my DAC. The music is playing but no sound is coming out.
With Roon core running on another laptop I see the HQ NAA okay but in the settings no audio device shows up (i.e. my DAC). If I use the mac in coreaudio setting it plays to the dac okay through built-in output mode but not in the NAA mode.
I’ve had this working in the past. Anyone have a similar problem and can help?

In addition to my above question:
“If you are using a USB output on the Mac, make sure the DAC is on with its USB input selected. Roon and HQP can only see active USB connections.”

Possibly HQP does not recognise optical output…?

Hi @Patrick_Bryson ----- Thank you for the report and my apologies for troubles here. In reference to the above.

1. I’m using HQ Player in NAA mode on a 2nd mac laptop (on my network) with optical out to my DAC. The music is playing but no sound is coming out.
    With Roon core running on another laptop I see the HQ NAA okay but in the settings no audio device shows up (i.e. my DAC). If I use the mac in coreaudio setting it plays to the dac okay through built-in output mode but not in the NAA mode.
  • Can you confirm that you have “Allow Network Control” enabled within HQPlayer?
  1. Possibly HQP does not recognize optical output…?
  • Touched base with one of my developers yesterday to confirm this information and he clarified that DoP DSD64 and 24/192 will work.

-Eric

Thanks Eric. Yes I have selected ‘network control’. I am using a separate networked laptop in the NAA function. I can’t seem to get it to work with optical out to DAC.

Hi @Patrick_Bryson ---- Thank you for follow up and confirming the above :sunglasses: :+1: The clarification is appreciated! May I kindly ask you for the following:

1. Can you please provide a brief, but accurate description of your setup, as see here. The more detailed and specific you can be, the better.

2. You mentioned in your first post that this setup had functioned for you in the past. Can you think of anything in your setup that may have changed? Software updates? New applications running? Driver/Firmware updates?

3. Can you also provide a description of the “output chain”. I want to understand exactly where your software and devices are sitting.
    Example: Core - > HQPlayer - > USB - > DAC.

Thanks!
-Eric