Networking Gear & Setup Details

Synology is connected via Ethernet to Fritzbox 7590

Connected Audio Devices

MacOS, iOS via WLAN, Cambridge Evo75 via Ethernet

Number of Tracks in Library

58,000 tracks

Description of Issue

Hi,
Since a quarter of a year my Roon Backup done to a second Synology NAS Device “DS119” is not working anymore. Backup to Dropbox is failing because I don’t want invest into Dropbox storage. I have already iCloud and OneDrive.

Setting up any Backup share is not working. Backup on my old Synology was working until update to DSM7 in January. Now even any Network path (DNS or IP Adress is generating a failure “Invalid Network Path”). I can ping any device via my Mac on DNS or IP-Adress. I can open the shares etc. How can I enable again the Backup of my library?

Of course I would also be happy to backup to iCloud ore OneDrive, but the backup dialog is not accepting any IP-Adress, even not my local MacOS Client. I have the opinion something is not working properly in the Roon Core to set up new network shares.

Best regards
Tilmann

Hi BlackJack,
just to clarify. I have generated a CIFS Shared Folder on my “Backup” Synology Diskstation called “Roon Backup”. I have mounted it on the “Roon” Synology Diskstation. Looks like this now:

I’m still not able to connect via Roon Backup dialogue to the shared folder. What do I need to write into the Networkshare dialogue in Roon. Roon is not recognizing the IP-Adress or the DNS Name of either my “Backup” Diskstation or the “Roon” Diskstation.

Hi,
just to add, my dialogue looks like this in Roon:

As you can see, the Remote Folder is not recognized.
Thanks a lot for your support.
Best regards
Tilmann

Looks to me like you created a mount point in NetBackup, so search for it there.

grafik

grafik

Hi, That’s right, that there is a “Roon Backup” Folder, too. But I have no clue how he gets there.

If I try to select the folder in Roon, I get an error message like this:

But I had no chance to select any user or enter credentials to proof my authorization.

Best regards
Tilmann

Maybe @crieke or another Synology user is able to help youn with setting the correct permissions.

Thank you for your support. Do you have any clue, if there eis a chance to use iCloud or OneDrive to setup a backup from Roon Server?

Best regards
Tilmann

Roon does not support either of the two. Maybe you just try to do things the wrong way around? Roon has no issues to access local files and folders if setup properly. Centralized backup software as usually gets used on NASes has no issues to access remote shares. Often there are also apps and/or plug-ins for accessing cloud storage available from the shop. Synology offers CloudBackup for example.

So a viable approach would be to setup Roon to point to a local folder for backup, just make sure it’s available as a share. Then create a backup job in the backup software you use on the DS119 to collect the backups accessible through the share on the DS720+, probably a separate job for collecting the music library in the same way or use one job for both depending on your setup and/or needs. Now you already have 1 valid backup. Then use Software like CloudSync and/or plug-ins for your backup software or the NAS (DS119) as such to create another independent copy of your backup data in the cloud.

As I’m not a customer of Synology or any of the cloud services you mentioned, I can’t walk you through the setup of their (software) products.

Hi,

Thank you for the hint towards CloudBackup. I have activated the sync for the following folder.

Or is there any other folder necessary to copy for a proper Backup of Roon Core?
Best regards
Tilmann

Roon Labs advises to not backup the live database. Create a scheduled backup job in Roon and then point CloudBackup to the folder where you defined the backups to be.

Note: A live sync job is not a real (read: independent) backup. The often used approach I outlined in my post before might be a better way to do it.

Hi,

then I’m back to start, because I’m not able to setup any backup in Roon. It’s not working to define in the dialogue any location (not the local NAS, not any remote location, not even my MacOS client. I could stop the roon Server, do the sync and start again later the roon server again. If sync is done, maybe I can copy the synced data from OneDrive to my secondary NAS.
Sounds all crazy, but I don’t know, how to fix the problem with the backup dialogue in Roon itself. If now one else has the problem, I need to consider, that my installation is broken. If the backup is done, I would check, if I can wipe all the roon core and set it up from scratch.
I have already tried to install roon again, but this seems not to have worked. Any tip or link where I can find a guide guide how to reinstall?

Best regards
Tilmann

And again you’re seem to be stuck at providing the needed access rights. For local folders, please read the instruction found in the thread I already linked in in my first replay in this thread:

Or maybe you just don’t know how to use Roon’s file browser?

Hi,
the Filebrowser might be my personal challenge. I always get the failure of “Invalid Path” if I try to enter any share outside of the Synology NAS. It doesn’t matter if I try IP Address or DNS names. I can use the different syntax (\<share>; or smb:///). I fI do the same from my MacBook Pro everything works. Could it be, that the name resolution of my NAS is not working? The crucial point is, why has it worked 12 month without any problem and then suddenly stopped with the update to DSM7? Is there any tip?

Best regards Tilmann

In DSM7 app packages (such as for example Roon) can no longer connect to a share outside the NAS. Despite that fact connecting to a share outside the NAS is possible in DSM7.

To do that, first in File Station you have to create a connection to the external share. Best is to link this connection to a new (Backup) directory within the Roon directory on your NAS (because of the correct permissions); else the Roon package cannot write to it. Check if the internal user Roon has read en write permissions to this new directory. If not correct this

Now It should be possible in Roon to select the new directory and write a Backup to it.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Running around in circles here. I don’t know why you even waste time in trying that in Roon – in the very first reply to your OP you can already find the information that this isn’t working (anymore since SYNOLOGY changed a lot with the release of DSM 7). Roon on DSM 7 can only access local files and folders, including locally mounted remote shares (you have to do this in DSM not Roon), but you need to give the appropriate rights to the Roon user first (also a consequence of the changes introduced with DSM 7). An example of how to do this (for a local folder, I don’t know if it works the same way for locally mounted remote shares) is also already contained in the thread linked in the first reply to you and again later on.

Did you even read all that information? Did you try?

Hi, that’s was the crucial hint I was looking for. I made the mistake to try to run the share outside of the RoonServer directory. Now I mapped the share of my “BackupNAS” into the RoonServer directory and it worked. Sometimes it’s so annoying, that you get not the right handle on a problem and it is that easy. Thank you very much for your support.

Best regards
Tilmann

2 Likes

@Tilmann_Proske :+1: You’re welcome.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.