Setting up a Raspberry Pi2 with RoonBridge Step-by-Step (OSX version)

FYI new cables arrived, made no difference, the slight buzz remains. So maybe its just a Jambox/Pi/hifiberry thing and/or the crapy Jambox SMPS - I won’t know either way because that’s the end of the experiment there really… no more time to devote.

The Jambox is now a backup solution, and the Marshall arrives today! Yay! (it had better not buzz or I’ll be pissed - well unless its an authentic guitar amp kind of buzz and then thats OK).

Nope, not on iPhone 5s. Can’t slide from 100% even with the latest version. :cry:

Latest RoonSpeaker™ :smiley:

I have to say I love it. So does Mrs swlon. Suits the room and us in general. The Pi is tucked behind and I’ll probably just put a nail in the back of the unit or a Velcro pad or something so the lights are out of sight. I’ve still got the linear on it but not sure if I need it now.

Slight drama with one of the plant pots splitting and water running down onto the power supply but it seems to have survived. (That’s what the plate’s doing just in case it offends anyone else too).

Taking it out of standby requires a button press. You can override it to a less efficient standby that detects line in, but it uses more power so I’ll stick with it as is.

I’ve got one slight issue now and I don’t know whether it’s Roon or the DAC, or the speaker. The volume fluctuates very slightly every now and then. So far I’ve only noticed it with Roon and when using it grouped zones, but that could be pure coincidence. Will test more, it may have to go back :frowning:

I like this. How is the sound quality?

Hi - the following command seemed to work:

$ curl -O http://download.roonlabs.com/builds/roonbridge-installer-linuxarmv7hf.sh

Unfortuantely, when I run the next command, I received the following message:
chmod: cannot access ‘roonbridge-installer-linuxarmv7hf.sh’: No such file or directory

I’m using Windows 10 and Putty.

Any suggestions?

you could do ‘ls’ just to confirm the file is in the current folder? It should have downloaded to wherever you ran the command from but I don’t use putty.

Obviously this is quite subjective and depends what you’re comparing it to, but it’s pretty decent for what it is. It’s way better then the small jambox I was using. It’s not as refined as the hifi. But it’s got decent bass, nice physical controls inc (bass and treble), and sort of sounds like it looks. I’m sure there’s better sounding out there but I’m completely happy with it. I might get another for the kitchen.

I wish it had AirPlay and/or an Ethernet socket, but everything that had those features seemed either plasticky or pretty expensive and necessarily sounding great either. This fits its mission profile well.

Thanks! Got it working. I had typed “curl -0” (zero) rather than “-O” (capital O). I should have recognized that it wasn’t a zero b/c no slash through it. That said, might be good to add a quick note to instructions that -O is a capital O. Thanks again for the quick reply. Motivated me to give this another go and worked.

Noted. For some reason the formatted text does look more like a zero.

Been a while since I added anything here, but another zone is on its way.

I’ve decided to go with the same Marshall Acton speaker, but an iqaudio DAC this time (and a pi3 since it’s the latest so makes sense). Part of me wanted to keep everything the same but I was never happy with the buzzing from the hifiberry (cured only by the over-specced LPS that was left over from an abandoned project) and so having a different brand will allow me to experiment and see if the cause is something wrong in my setup (mains, patch cables, network), or with the hifiberry.

I really want something like the Marshall with RoonReady Ethernet built in to save the clutter but it just ain’t happening so just getting on with it. AirPlay is out as I have to be able to sync with the main hifi in this area as its semi-open plan.

Maybe if I feel really brave I’ll see if there’s space to put the pi inside the Marshall.

The bits have been ordered but haven’t arrived yet so to be continued…

Built up the Pi3 and IQaudio DAC+. It was pretty straightforward. One gotcha from the instructions was saying to screw the riser posts to the board, but then after it was all assembled I turned the page to see ‘if youre using the iqaudio case, replace the screws with small risers included in the case’. Doh, would have been nice to know that beforehand. Anyway a bit of screwdriver twiddling later and it was together.

I followed in the footsteps of RBM and thanks to his post, went Dietpi and RoonBridge. It’s harder to jot down exact steps as there are GUI utilities which do some of the setup, but it was pretty straightforward.

Finally, I built the case and popped the gubbins inside. Not a huge fan of the case to be honest. It’s big. Big and thick and over-engineered with bolts at the corners. I hadn’t quite got the scale. ok, ok, it’s not BIG big, but compared to the compactness of the Pi it seems oversized. So it’s probably nice if you want something on show, but I want it tucked behind the speaker in a place where there’s not much soace. It’s also really fiddly to get the SD card in. Might re-think that one, but for now it does the job.

Annoyingly the speaker didn’t turn up so I can play music to it as a zone, but nothing comes out - which isn’t really that exciting. Didn’t have time to find headphones either.

Hopefully next week will have the speaker and can report back with a pic or two.

OK, speaker arrived and got it setup super quickly as all the pieces were ready. Had some of my library and internet radio playing in about 10 minutes.

First and foremost - with a standard Pi power supply and cat5e cable - no buzzing! So, IQaudio 1, hifiberry 0.
I will swap them over at some point and double-check, but that alone would make me chose iqaudio for future zones, although I’d find a different case.

Sync with the lounge works great - still wish it didn’t pause or stutter on grouping/ungrouping, but that’s a minor niggle (other than the clock sync and all zones being hindered by the weakest device but that’s a whole other topic). Bit of a shame about the slight spaghetti of wires and PSUs, but will have a think about a way to tidy it up.

Really love having multiple zones. A request for a couple more zones has already been hinted at, so clearly I’m not the only one who’s pleased with the setup. I’d better start doing some saving…

1 Like

The third raspberry pi zone now up and running.

Went iqaudio again, as the buzz of the hifiberry still taunts me to this day. Pretty much replicating the kitchen setup above (not the speaker though).

All went fairly well, assembling the case was far more fiddly than I remember (and I really don’t like those cases - they’re far too big and heavy for what is a lovely small footprint pi), and there were a few steps in Dietpi setup I’d forgotten too - but all things equal it was pretty easy.

Can’t believe it was as long ago as Oct last year that the second pi zone arrived.

I still think they’re great little devices. I searched far and wide for other premade RAAT streamers that were small and affordable but there are none yet. I searched airplay again too, but I wanted wired Ethernet as well and they’re rare beasts - it’s basically only the more expensive ones. Maybe airplay is dyeing? The searches definitely seemed a bit thin on results.

It’s only for baby’s room, so just got a little anker speaker. Thinking about it it has Bluetooth, so I could probably have tried without the iqaudio and just used Bluetooth to the speaker. Oh well, I’ve got it now - I may still try that and if it works kill the hifiberry and move the uqaudio where that is currently.

I still don’t like the mess of wires and bits and pieces. If I had the time I’d seriously consider designing a speaker with RAAT and an Ethernet socket, but alas that’s not gonna happen.

It’s called a bluesound flex. Was that out of your budget?

Yes, sadly for this purpose it was, and a bit big. A ‘flex mini’ at half that price and I would have been interested. Less than half and it would be playing music now! :slight_smile:

I don’t really need high-res or even high quality.

I did consider Sonos play 1 (about £180) as they’re supported by Roon and I don’t need to group it, but having never used one I didn’t know if there would be other ‘gotchas’, so just went for the tried and tested approach despite my reservations about all the clutter.

But I’ll keep my eye on the Bluesounds - thanks. At least in white they’re a reasonably minimalist design.

Just adding a couple of photos of the new zone.

I have to say I’ve had to completely re-evaluate my snobbery at the brand Anker. I bought this ‘Soundcore mini’ speaker for £18 on Amazon, expecting nothing, and yet being pretty impressed. It’s got 3.5mm linein (which is what I’ll use), Bluetooth, an SD card slot for direct playback, and fm radio. And it’s rechargeable battery for allegedly 10+ hours runtime. It’s got a nice finish too.

Ok it’s not going to put most highend manufacturers out of business but it really has surprised me how good some of these things do sound. I took a bit of the sting out of the treble to take away the slightly ‘tinny’ sound - but that was a single PEQ and took 5 secs to sort out - amazing. And it’s really tiny! (If only the iqaudio case weren’t so bl***y big in comparison the whole thing would be a neat (ok not neat, but small) little setup.

Never thought I’d have EQ on a lowly Pi zone, but just goes to show how useful these features are…

Thanks to the cheat suggested by ‘the guru’ Rene, I’ve got rid of the graphic of the raspberry Pi case and have it showing up as a standard speaker too.

Hmm, where can i find this ‘cheat’?
Cheers, Mike

Here

In summary, select another compatible board that isn’t from a Roon partner - in this case the Allo Piano.

1 Like

Need some help!

Getting the following message on my Pi

"./roonbridge-installer-linuxarmv7hf.sh: 1: ./roonbridge-installer-linuxarmv7hf.sh: cannot open html: No such file
./roonbridge-installer-linuxarmv7hf.sh: 2: ./roonbridge-installer-linuxarmv7hf.sh: Syntax error: redirection unexpected
"

Any hints?

Maybe install bzip. I think I recall this issue.

Better still just install ropieee.org