Settings for 'Channel Layout' not showing up - Can't configure my DAC for 4-channel output ko

Hi there,

I’m a new user currently on a Trial of Roon and trying to see if it fits my needs. I’m having trouble configuring my audio device in the application.

I’m using an M-Audio FastTrack pro USB DAC, on Mac OSX 10.13.4. The device has 4 channels of output (2 stereo streams), and in the Mac Audio Midi setup, as well as other applications that I use for DJing, the device appears as 4-channel, where I can then assign streams to each of the 4 outputs (2 pairs of L/R channel).

I’m trying to accomplish a similar setup in Roon where I can use the Procedural EQ Mix functionality, to send the Left/Right audio signals of my music to both streams on the device, and equalizer them separately, resulting in 2 sets of stereo line outs that I can send to my amplifiers.

Following the guides, I see that in the Device Setup, there should be an option for Channel Layout, where I can switch the default 2.0 Stereo to Quad/5.1, and then be able to assign that channels in Mix. However, in my Device Setup page, I do not see the “Channel Layout” option as it appears in the documentation.

Here’s what I see in my settings:

@support , Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Hello @A_C,

Thanks for contacting support regarding this issue. You wouldn’t necessarily need to change anything in Device Setup screen if using a USB DAC, the Channel Layout is meant for HDMI multi-channel outputs.

You can set the Mix by going to your DSP Engine -> Add Filter -> Procedural EQ -> Mix should get you to the screen where you can set this up and the settings should automatically be applied:

Please let me know if that helps or if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,

Thanks for your reply. I tried following the steps above, and have set the Output rules as follows:

• 1 Left to 1 Left
  • 2 Right to 2 Right
  • 3 Left to 5 Back Left
  • 4 Right to 6 Back Right

However, during playback I still only get sound out of the 2 front channels. I use this USB DAC with other applications, and it seems to be fine outputting 4 channels with those apps. Is there perhaps any other custom configuration/mapping in ROON, or in Mac OSX system properties that I could be missing?

I’m going to borrow another USB DAC to test tomorrow to see if it’s perhaps just a compatibility issue with the FastTrack Pro, as it is quite a few years old.

Thanks!

Hello @A_C,

How are you outputting to the FastTrack DAC? Are you making use of CoreAudio? I would try the output with CoreAudio and Exclusive Mode enabled to see if that works for you, if you can post a screenshot of your Roon Settings -> Audio Tab that would help clarify some things here as well.

Thanks,
Noris

I posted a solution here :slight_smile:
Solution for 4-Channel Motu M4 or focusrite audio interface and XO in a F.A.S.T configuration - Tinkering - Roon Labs Community