Shared Folder: Roon Backup: On a Mac

I cannot: and neither can my hifi dealer: create a shared folder on a Mac for my Roon backups. I have looked through the community and it seems there is nothing meaningful coming from that forum or from Roon.
The information provided by Roon is disgraceful in this regard.
Please put this right. I would prefer any responses are ONLY from professional IT people who know what the correct approach is, please.
That should of course be Roon.
I await their response.

Perhaps this help article will help you (or your dealer). It’s how you set up a shared folder on a Mac for a Watched Folder, but the procedure is the same for a Backup folder.

1 Like

What kind of Roon Server are you using?

He’s using an Innuos Zenith, or at least, he was…

1 Like

Honestly, that’s a macOS user issue, not a Roon one, and the internet is full of information. For example:

https://macpaw.com/how-to/create-shared-folder-mac

1 Like

A respectful side note, if I may:

That page - as is always the case with MacPaw - contains several inline (so potentially indistinguishable from the otherwise reasonably accurate steps for shared folders) advertisements for their much- and often-criticized product, CleanMyMac.

If you’re not aware of the downsides of that utility, please do look around for reasons to avoid it and stick to the substance of the article

3 Likes

@ Johnston_Lowry

Which MacOS version are you running? The specific steps vary according to the OS version.

1. Enable File Sharing on the Mac

2. Create a directory (folder) on the Mac and set it to share by selecting the folder and choosing “Get Info” from the Finder’s File Menu.
    Click the checkbox in the info panel to enable Shared Folder.

3. In Roon add a new Network Share by following the prompts in Roon. The syntax I’ve used is \\ IP Address of Mac\Hard Drive Name\Folder Name so Roon ultimately uses this as the path for backup.

1 Like

Hi
Thank you. I think I have read and tried but forever foiled. Will try again.

Thank you. This is what makes me apprehensive about forums. How does one check the veracity of the information. But I appreciate the good intentions and help being offered. Still nothing from ROON though!
Getting everything into perspective: I still have an oldish (Mk11) Innuos Zenith which holds all my ripped CD collection. In many ways that is an excellent back up and allows me to rip again, et al. So probably best just to hold onto that.
HiRes files aren’t such a problem as I can reload them from Qobuz.
And I can also store the files on my MAC plus I have an external SSD so probably more-than enough to curb my insecurities.
Have to say: I find NAS so much aggravation so avoiding that option like the plague.
And fair play to ROON: the Nucleus really has improved the quality of sound I’m getting on my syatem.
Stay well, and thank you all again. I’ll keep you posted on any developments or news from ROON.
Johnston

1. It’s not really a Roon problem
  2. You opened the thread in Roon Software Discussion, not Support. Official support doesn’t normally monitor discussions.
  3. It’s the Easter weekend
2 Likes

Cheers: I promise I’m not trying to be nasty about ROON. Just frustrated at how diffciult this seems to be. Hence why I asked my dealer. FYI it isn’t just an Apple issue as my dealer went to the trouble of tring to do same onhis Windows set-up and still no joy. And I am told this is a recurring problem.
Stay well, Johnston

It’s a recurring problem because many people don’t understand how to set up shared folders on a Mac or a Windows PC; as @Suedkiez said, it’s not really a Roon problem. A further complication may be the fact you may still be using an Innuous server, rather than a supported Roon Server setup.

Perhaps if you shared some screenshots of your setup screens and the error messages that you are getting, we could help you further…

2 Likes

Thanks greatly, Geoff
First: I now use a Roon Nuleus with 4TB Internal Storage using a recommended Samsung SSD.
I will get those screenshots to you as and when time allows. Please bear with me as I’m not a very techincal person and find this stuff challenging.
I don’t think it is as straighforward as you suggest as some very skilled people have experienced the same problem.
BUT I will be delighted if we can fix this. I would also suggest there needs to be better guidance, or instruction, from, ideally, ROON. Maybe a video and something more explixit but simply stated. It would not cost a lot and would so much enhance their product and reputation. The quality of customer care is alwasy a good indicator of the quality of a business! Why for example no ISO or quality assurance benchmarking?
I do still have my Innuos Zenith but that is retained purely as a backup and ripper only. It’s very handy to have but rarely used as a Roon Core as the Nucleus, to my ears, easily outperforms it: as one would expect.
Best regards, Johnston