Showing (off) your Bicycles

Great topic! We are using our “big bikes” for holidays, Santos is a well known Dutch brand building top notch touring bikes:

and we also have gravel bikes for the light entertainment:

12 Likes

The orange paint was one of the standard colors back in 2015 for the Domane 500 series. The bike is a Domane 5.2 with full Shimano Ultegra components and upgrade Shimano Dura-Ace carbon wheels.

Rain bike?!!? First I try not to ride in the rain (after 34 years of serious cycling I’ve ridden in more than my fair share of rain) and second, never, ever “demote” one of your bikes to rain duty since it will only feel slighted and react accordingly, e.g. flats, dropped chains, broken cables,etc. Remember “hell has no fury like a woman scorned”

2 Likes

I see you referred to the bike with the fender and the waterproof phone pouch as “gravel/road”. Sorry for mislabeling it.

Here, in the Pacific Northwest, the rain bike is a noble thing, not an insult. When you seen a bike kitted out like that here, it’s a “rain bike”. No offense meant - it’s a really nice bike.

Love the Serrota. Sad they are gone!!! Always lusted after one but had to settle for a Litespeed (not custom). Sold that some 15 years ago and replaced with a Time carbon bike which I never ride.

Now I prefer to control the risk so stick to the dirt where some idiot in 6k lbs of steel can’t hurt me!

That doesn’t stop my wife (on right taking 2nd in women’s overall at recent hill climb)

10 Likes

lazy e-biker here :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

And my street racer, almost 20 year old but still on the run😊

Nearly 9kg Power, before Carbon Gets serious……
waiting for the first ride this year, maybe this we…

13 Likes

Because I did’t see any recumbent bikes, here my bike.

I’m riding 99% outside but this is a photo of a inside event.

Summertime is for biking, all other times for Roon.

13 Likes

are this motorcycles electric (hybrid)?! Looks so

And my bike for every day (the rain bike)

6 Likes

And the bike of my wife (the unused one)…….

Think, the bike of my son you won‘t See….,

4 Likes

The motorcycle in the foreground is electric - it’s a Zero SR/S. The other one isn’t.

1 Like

Original mid 80s Eddy Merckx that our daughter occasionally rides (when she wants to look cool on Instagram)…looks like I need to fix that puncture. :grinning:

18 Likes

Wow…this is really cool…in my 7th year as a Roonie and I had no clue about the Bicycle category…

I started racing XC in the mid 80’s on a Rigid bike…well because that’s all there were…Raced until the mid 90’s when bikes were beginning to improve a bunch more. Got into RC Airplanes for the next 20 years and now back to Mt biking with my latest eBike!!! I post some pictures soon…Cheers!

looks good, but what makes this bike so interesting, apart from the unusual appearance?
Imagine it very uncomfortable to steer like that?!
Then I see the path of the chain, all very complicated…

What did you ride back then?

I was purely a recreational rider but I covered many miles of dirt and asphalt on my Univega Alpina Sport. Those were very fun times.

I had a Yellow Diamondback with an Aluminum frame…stiffer than hell that I raced Big Bear and Mt. High in So Cal. But back then did not know any better. Then started noticing better technology and Frame sets. I believe my next bike was all steel frame made by Chris Chance…it was called a Fat Chance…still a hard tail but had a suspension Stem and then Suspension Forks were starting to trickle in…It was white with Black Splatter paint all over it which was a fad back then…I still have my two race bikes…26" Ventana’s Full suspension made from paper thin Aluminum tube sets. My Classic bike was my trainer. A Specialized Road Bike called an Allez. It was made from Carbon Fiber Tube sets (all but the aluminum Fork) and held together with Glue and Aluminum Lugs…that’s the only Carbon technology that was available back then. I’ll get pics of these bikes too and post them later…

2 Likes

Wow. Very different world than my recreational riding.

I grew up in So Cal - went to tennis camp for a few summers in Big Bear. Also skied it a few times. My mountain bike riding in the mid to late 80s was up in Santa Cruz.

Quick story you didn’t ask for. I lived in LA. For a few summers, I worked as a counselor in training during the week and as essentially maintenance for a corporation picnic company on weekends. Same site for both. About 10 miles from my house.

I had some sort of 10 speed - probably a Schwinn. I used to ride my bike to work with headphones and an Aiwa walkman clone that I bought because it could play both sides of the tape without flipping. I can literally remember the tapes I used to listen to. It’s fun to remember this stuff.

2 Likes

The merckx belongs on wall somewhere!!!

The two wheeled equivalent of a McIntosh MC240!!

Classic!!!

4 Likes

I’m in the process of downsizing. I recently sold a stunning steel, 7-11 Merckx and a 2008 Pinarello Prince. Who needs a Colnago C-40 or a couple of Broptons? Maybe a Kestrel 200SC turned into a Fixie?

Hard to pick a favorite but it is close between the Colnago and a custom built (for me Gunnar) Hyper-X in Sunshine Yellow over Shamrock Green paint. Cool pink Pinarello in there too if somebody short/female needs a killer ride.

I was riding up an elevator after this happened with my arm in a sling when Tyler Farrar got on. He was very approachable. He asked how bad, I said 4 breaks 1 plate 8 screws. He said ouch! I think the injury opened us up to a nice conversation.

6 Likes

Pictures of bicycles are nice however just like audio there’s the equipment and there’s the music. With bicycles it’s all about the ride!!

Today’s Ride - a few words of explanation. “BTCNJ” is the Bicycle Touring Club of North Jersey (as in New Jersey, USA) and “Congers” is a town in New York State with a great deli. The weather today was cold, raw and very windy, hence the rather slow speed.

1 Like