Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

Really dig the room. Does the peaked ceiling have any effect, good or bad?

No idea. I have only ever heard the system in this room. I am happy with the sound. As always, it could be better, but it could also be much worse. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Rooms are an enigma to me - here is my upstairs everyday listening area with ten foot walls and a ceiling that vaults to seventeen feel - opening the entire length of one wall to another vault. The listening area pictured is about 34’ by 16’ an actually sounds quite good.
Downstairs, in a dedicated media room with bigger speakers, amps, subwoofers etc., I am still fighting for better sound via room treatments. Quite a hobby.

14 Likes

Don’t you mean HMV (his masters voice) :shushing_face:

Obviously RCA in the US

His name is Nipper BTW

lovely in both rooms. I also have focal 1028 be in one system, driven by tubes, and a pair of white KEF LS50s (not wireless) in another, also with tubes. i love them both, however different they may be, each system appropriate to the room its in.

7 Likes

I like seeing all the different system setups shown here. Thought I would add my 2 cents and show the evolution of the entertainment environment in our older house. The equipment is not real visible. Had to try and maintain the built in appearance for my wife. The first photo has the equipment on a shelf in a closet so its out of the way. After 6 years and some remodeling the closet was modified into a small media room with a rear entrance for access and a face plate over the front. Did the best I could with what we had to work with. My wife seems to be happy with it. The addition of Roon makes it so much better.

12 Likes

They both look good to me.

And things should continue to improve as you replace those 4 shelves of CDs with more books since with Roon you will no longer need to have the CDs near by. In any case the room is rather lovely. Perhaps you might be so kind as to grace with an audio equipment list. Thanks!

How do you get to that other room now?

1 Like

Walking? (or crawling after too many drinks ? - needed more than 10 chars)

Thanks James. My wife hasn’t allowed me to remove the 60’s era blond paneling so I covered up as much as I could. I’d rather have Sheetrock for paint color options and less sound reflection. This room and the one behind it were basically twins that were a step down from the main level of the rest of the house. The other room was used for our office space. When I retired that space was remodeled into a bedroom suite so we could move my mother in and the floor had to be raised to the level of the rest of the house. We closed off that pass through doorway and there is an entrance from the main level.

1 Like

The paneling is great.

Hey Ralph. Thanks for the comments. I added the multiple shelving units for the CD’s and Blu-ray/4K DVDs before I knew anything about ripping and before I discovered Roon. Micro technology crept up on me while I was busy working 40 years on mainframe computer systems. I’ll move the cd’s out as I fill the space with DVD’s. I don’t plan on digitizing the movies and like to have lots of choices for the kids and grand kids when they visit.

Surround System components include a Denon AVR-X8500H, OPPO UDP-205 Roon Ready player, 11 B&W/SVS speakers, and 2 JL Audio subs. The media closet is climate controlled with 20amp isolated power. All the Network components, sound system components and the NUC8I7BEH/Rock are housed in that central location. Use my PC as a zone in the bedroom end of the house and recently added an Elac Discovery Z3 for the Kitchen zone. I hope to get an IPAD Pro 12.9 for Christmas that will be mounted on the shelve under the TV. Don’t want the kids and grand kids playing with my Roon Remote Control device.

I bought a really nice Oppo 203 4K DVD player a couple years ago when I bought an LG 65C7P OLED. So far, I have one 4K DVD. I’m really glad I discovered Roon and the fact the Oppo 203 is Roon ready.

1 Like

I agree that for now blu-ray discs are still superior to the ripped versions, especially when it comes to the soundtrack along the rips are catching up. Give Plex a try, it works great with almost any streaming media player (Roku, Fire Stick, ChromeCast, etc.).

By the way, the grand kids most likely have their own Roon Remote Device, aka their phones, that is if they have their own phones.

By the way save your money and get an Amazon Fire HD 10 9OR 8) tablet if all you plan to use it for is a Roon Remote - they work great as remotes, really they do. Spend the money you save on The Mandolorian Season One blu-ray set when it’s released, the grand kids will love it!

Check out this guys room build…ignoring the audio gear…not bad for a retired NYPD cop … don’t ask.

3 Likes

Yes, the newer movie audio formats like Dolby Atmos with the object oriented sound is pretty amazing even for someone like me that is deaf on the right side. The overhead sounds, from planes, helicopters, an avalanche, etc., from the height/ceiling speakers tends to add some realism. If I could get that from ripped videos I would give it a try.

I listen to music most of the time, with the NUC HDMI to receiver connection and the Dolby Surround Processor all the music is multi-channel from all the speakers and subs. The Denon receiver with 13 amps does a pretty good job. If the signal from Roon is multi-channel it plays it as is and stereo gets processed to surround. I like the sound all around me but it all goes in one ear anyway.

Just proves that speakers are the most important part of a system.

@Darryl_Caillouet - your next project?

Yes without speakers all bets are off. :sunglasses:

Don’t headphones count? :frowning_face: