Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

Very interested to hear your thoughts on the upgraded Yggy when you get it. I need to decide whether I’m upgrading or switching out to another DAC, but it’d have to be another R2R and preferably Roon Ready. I can’t go back to sigma/delta.

Evand,

I agree 100% as my experience with a DS DAC in my Headphone amp proves yo me that R2R is the only way to go! But I really enjoy my Yggy and it seems I would have to at least double my Spend on it to hear any real improvements…I was not sure I even wanted the Analog 2 upgrade because I enjoyed my system they way it is. But Since I haver read so many positive things about Unison USB, I decided to go all in…I’m #60 in line at Schiit so It won’t be happening anytime soon.

Cheers!

Not the only way … I’d say discrete DACs are the way to go and that includes FPGA. Ultimately, it’s personal preference.

1 Like

Chord every day for me!

2 Likes

Seriously considering a tube DAC.

1 Like

Like the light above the components Suresh! Very nice!

1 Like

I can wholeheartedly recommend you Lampizator DACs :+1:
They are really that good :sunglasses:

1 Like

DIY coming up. Wanted to hide the ethernet cables and make it a little nicer for the eye.
So i bought a chassie and decided to hide the switch and most of the cables.
Now it looks like the Innuos Statement i used to have. Also found an old pic of my old set up- funny to see.

12 Likes

Thinking of a PrimaLuna DAC once the following gets straightened out -

I have the Yggy Gen 5 Analog 2, and just had the Unison USB module shipped to me. I put it in this morning, and the process was very easy, but I have a background in building custom computers and a/v components, so my comfort level in the install was high.

The Unison USB vs. Gen 5 is not a “blow you away, game changing” upgrade, but more of a refinement. What I do like about it is that it seems to help with multi source type playlists. I have a few that have a mix of 44.1, 48, 96, 192 and even MQA. Obviously, MQA is limited to Roon handling with the Yggy, but switching between songs and sample rates is cleaner and seamless. With Gen 5 I heard slight pops and clicks, and that is now gone. I’m not talking about the Yggy standard sample rate click (when the LEDs changed), but after that happened, there used to be another “static” pop or click, and that is what is now gone.

Overall clarity, depth, range and dynamics have been enhanced. The depth of the layers of instruments is what seems to be standing out the most for me. Not sound stage width, but more just the sense that the instruments took a step forward, closer to the listening position.

Not what I was expecting, but certainly nothing I would complain about :smiley: Honestly, I did the upgrade because I thought when I bought the components in December, it would have come with the Unison upgrade already included, similar to what they did with Gen 5, and then announce the upgrade option after. I didn’t get a “Unison USB” sticker with my order, so that was a bummer, as the back panel still has the Gen 5 sticker.

Thanks for sharing. I’ve long abandoned USB input in the Yggy in favour of using its AES/EBU input. How much of an improvement is the Analog 2 over the Analog 1 board?

FWIW I’ve never experienced the pops and clicks you’ve referred to switching between various resolutions, even when using USB on the Yggy, and I’m guessing mine is v3?

For the last 6-7 years, I have only used USB, as it was just the easiest way to get my gear connected, since I am completely a computer audiophile. No vinyl, no other sources.

Gen 5 from Schiit was better than other USB inputs that I had tried from other manufacturers like Mytek, NAD, Cambridge, etc. Unison USB just takes it to the next level. I have tried to hear the differences with Optical, Toslink and even Coax. but with the new Unison module, it seems to be the cleanest of those option for me.

1 Like

Interesting. When I upgrade I’ll add Unison so the DAC is saleable should I choose to switch to something else, but getting beyond the Yggy means silly money for very marginal gains.

Why would you consider that? Tubes does, from what I’ve seen and/or heard, alter the end results. In a preamp I get it, in amps I get it. In a DAC? Sure if you like the flavor and know it’s not “correct” but why alter it at the source?

And I’ve owned Nagra top of the line tube stuff. I have Grandinote amps that uses transistors in a tube kind of way. But for a DAC? I don’t get it. (Love to be enlightened though)

1 Like

:+1: Remind me, the Allo/Pi combo is Wi-Fi only or networked like microR? I have (2) UltraRs around house & 4 CCAUDs with varying DACs; Schiit, Meridian, McInt, OPPO, Parasound. Have “almost” built a few Pi/Allo combos several times over last few years but never pulled trigger, LOL.

Assumed you may have played with (interchanged) & compared the DACs with their respective players?

oooh, love the vinyl stacks on the floor there @J.D! Very nice room.

Sometime I feel DACs can be too artificial.

Just a matter of taste, like everything else in this hobby.

Haven’t heard from you in awhile; just been lurking?

As does everything.
Don’t know how you feel about various cables, but to my mind they’re the biggest offenders.

Yeah, haven’t had anything to add so lurking on and off. Think this community is a bit too determined on consensus to my taste. Still interesting to follow some of the smaller threads that sometimes show within the greater kind of boring web :wink:

I’m an open minded sceptic here. Some cables I do swear by but I’m open minded to what that means. Could they be replaced by some great value cable for something like $100? Maybe. Some of the shelf cheap amazon/alibaba cable, probably not. Did I pay too much? I don’t care :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Interesting comment,

I just bought a PrimaLuna tube pre-amp. At the time, asked the dealer what would I gain by using a tube amp over solid state. He said that a tube pre-amp with solid state amps might be the best of both.

What do you get about tube amps?

Still trying to make up my mind.:slightly_smiling_face:

Kind of like listening to vinyl sourced from a digital remaster (as is 99.9% of all new vinyl) - you get the worst of both worlds - digital source with tube distortions! And in the case of new vinyl - digital sound with wow and flutter + rumble + surface noise + skips + etc. How great is that!