Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

I used almost for a year HQPlayer together with Roon (tried different filters). But something changed since Roon 1.7. I prefer Roon alone since that update. The sound is more refined and smooth with HQPlayer but using only Roon there is more liveliness and raw edge (in a good sense) to the sound. Before 1.7 it was clearly better with HQPlayer.

It is maybe worth mentioning, that my PC runs the core and the endpoint too (under AudioLinux headless version).

I think that’s what struck me too - it’s a room to live in first, one where the audio resides second.

1 Like

Rt 707 or 701?

This is my humble home office setup.

14 Likes

Hi Tamas, thanks for replying!
I did not compare Roon alone to R+HQ for a year or so (*) but the difference was not leaving any doubt. The another friend is changing gear and has a super-high level streamer/converter, better than mine (no brands mentioned to avoid polemic). He came to Roon 1.7, tested it alone then tested it in association with HQplayer 1.4. The difference is very much in favor of R+HQP over Roon alone. Then you can fine tune your filter - and use powerful interpolation operators such as closed-form-M or sinc-M, that has my clear preference now, closed-form-M a little more “raw edge”. Roon 1.7 actually increased the fluidity of the R+HQP setup as well.
One of the other reasons for preferring R+HQP setup, is that the added filtering one can do in HQP has no insertion loss, and can be very adequately defined using for instance rePhase.

Three sets of headphones isn’t too shabby!

It’s an RT707, yes!. Not a custom case though. The black fronting and cabinet was a match to the contemporary receivers of the time. The Pioneer SX-5590, SX-5580 and SX-5570.

Thanks for asking.

1 Like

RT707. A great machine for mixed digital and analog playlist creation. Not a lot else, given the size of the reals and the speed. No expensive 15ips Tape Project recordings for me.

i had one back in the day. still possibly the sexiest piece of gear i’ve owned.

1 Like

It’s a 4K monitor! Works excellent with the Mac Pro 6.1

Minor update to the audio / network diagram:

3 Likes

Looks great! What’s new?

Since last time, these were added in the current diagram:

• Sonore ultraRendu (replacing a microRendu)
  • Apple TV 4K (replacing a tv settop box)
  • iPhone 11 Pro (replacing an iPhone XS)
  • Raspberry Pi 3 B+ (for sake of clarity)
1 Like

My Office…

14 Likes

Hi Alex,
Coffee or tea? I’m guessing black tea with milk…

Dangerously off-topic, @HWZ, that’s one for another thread :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, I know. But the mug is in the picture… :wink:

1 Like

How do you like the quad?

No he’s not, he is behind the camera! Boom Tish!:joy:

4 Likes

Its not Earl Grey…