Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

Great piece of kit for the desktop

1 Like

I was going to ask whether you like to work lying down on the floor, then I saw the title of the picture!

You are right, it could be misinterpreted

Does that right speaker sound a bit wooly

I love this post. I drool over most of the audio setups that I could never afford on here. So here’s mine with the price I paid for each piece, so that lurkers wondering how little could I build that for?

Speakers: Magnepan .7 $1400($1800 with the feet) from Shellys Stereo

Amp: Parasound HCA-1000A $225 - Craigslist

Preamp: Schiit Saga - BStock $200 - Online

DAC: Schiit Modi 3 $99 - Picked up at the Schiitr in Newhall, 40 miles from home.

Speaker Wire: $? - 12 gauge from Radio Shack in 1991 literally.

Roon Core: MacBook Pro(early 2015) $1299 but you probably already got one.

So you can get something like that for under $2000

25 Likes

Congrats on your beaut setup here … A great space for whiling away the self isolation hours/days … cheers … T

1 Like

I built (DIY) or got a lot of my gear second hand (preloved) or broken and repaired it (I do that for own stuff only now) and while a lot is vintage or past the use by date it lives to play another day. As long as what you have makes you happy.

Sure its nice to see some hifi candy out there too, but it should be all about the music, not the equipment so much. So if you have the means to go money no object that’s great too - I love a nice expensive car as much as the next guy, but owning one is not on my list of must haves - my one gets me a to b and back again just as well as anyone’s.

1 Like

Don’t be sheepish, say what you mean!

Klipsch Forte 3 speakers

PrimaLuna Evo 200 integrated, Rega RP3 table, Moon LP1 v2 phono stage, Schiit Bifrost Multibit Gen 5 USB, Allo USBridge Volumio with Roonbridge, NUC running Ubuntu server as Roon Core in other room.

19 Likes

How’s the headphone amp in the Prima Luna? Very nice…

1 Like

@Alexandru_Capsa I really like that you’ve not forced your speakers around your TV panel.

3 Likes

+1 this is how my system is arranged too.:+1:

1 Like

I spy the leftover boxes from tube rolling.

It´s gorgeous anyhow Robert! I’d also been thinking jumping into the R2R wagon, but it’s a complicated and expensive media nowadays. The prices have risen substantially and the good master tapes are extremly expensive in my opinion.

Very nice setup. I do also have PS Audio gear (Jr DAC and Powerplant 5). Cheers!

Is that a Fleet Chief’s cap I see before me?

Thanks, I played with placement and it sounded much better on the long side of the room.

I am mainly a speaker listener, but I did try the headphones and it sounded fantastic, best I heard from my HD600s.

1 Like

I still use the stock tubes on my PrimaLuna, those boxes are from when I had my previous tube amp. I may get 2 more Tung Sol 7581A and try them.

There were still Fleet Chiefs as I joined the Andrew in 1984, shortly after WO’s for parity Tri-service.
I was a WO, not a Fleety Tiff, sadly

Upscale Audio seems to have the best tube supplies.
My goals for my Evo 400 pre-amp -

Also, see the discussion here-

1 Like