Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

Yes I have used Questyle CMA600i, Chord Hugo 2 and Holo Audio Spring Kitsune version. My ears prefer R2R DAC and Terminator Plus give my ears more detail sound, better soundstage and still musical.

Quad 22/202
Quad 33/303
Quad 44/405

That’s if you like antiques :imp:

1 Like

Like @Mike_O_Neill, I’ve had Quad 33/303 and 44/405 combos driving my ESL57s, but since Feb 2017, I’ve used a Quad Artera Link and a Quad Artera Stereo as the combo.

Okay… here it is, folks. My ultra high end (not) Roon endpoint second system. Heheh. But here’s the thing. I love this boombox. Like many, I was introduced to music and pop culture as a teenager via old school boomboxes of the 80’s. Boomboxes blaring music at parties or high school football games brought young people of all classes and backgrounds together.

That JBL sound signature comes through and it’s engaging. It’s a big boombox; audacious and refined with its black finish, all at the same time. The design is a throwback to boomboxes of the 80’s. It’s not trying to be a portable audiophile or smart speaker. Keep it plugged into mains, or charge up the battery. Play something via its analogue AUX in, or bluetooth. I plug a Chromecast Audio into the AUX and stream that way. Any genre sounds good, even at low volumes. It’s tough, durable and water proof… perfect for outdoor gatherings. If it had WIFI (vs Bluetooth) and was a smart speaker, this would be the ideal boombox. It’s easy enough to plug in an Amazon Echo to make it a smart speaker.

I’ve invested good $$$ and time in my main sound system, which I love. But I get just as much enjoyment from this boombox (and other all-in-one boxes I have, including Klipsh’s heritage sound via “The Three”). Maybe it’s partly due to nostalgia (like vinyl for some). But I’m hooked. I don’t need another speaker in my life. But you what?.. I use it regularly in the house and thoroughly enjoy it!

Happy new year!

10 Likes

I actually used the 405 but with a 33 and later a 44 , I was a bit late into Quad for the 202. I was using ESL 62 as well , I never had “Radiators”

I enjoyed upsetting the hifi shop assistants by warming may hands on the 57’s :sunglasses: funnily they didn’t get the joke !!

I have a different brand of outdoor party speaker, about 5 years old now, but have considered the JBL. The JBL probably sounds better. I use my android phone as a Roon Remote/Endpoint with the AUX connection for playback. Speaker has a USB connection to keep my phone charged from its battery and will last about 10 hours off the power cord. That is my portable outdoor Roon setup for working in the shop or garden. Does the JBL have a USB port for charging?

My system is Ayre KXR Twenty, Ayre QX 5 Twenty, a pair of MXR Twenties and Wilson Audio Sashas in Sebring Blue. All cabling is Transparent Reference. I use ROON as my source with my library, Tidal and QOBUZ. My library is stored on a QNAP NAS.

2 Likes

Hi. The JBL Boombox 2 has one USB port for charging. The original JBL Boombox has two USB ports.

I bought a Boombox 2 during a JBL Boxing Day sale in Canada. I don’t believe there was a similar promotion in the USA.

However, the UE Hyperboom is another unit I auditioned. It has very good sound (more neutral than the JBL house sound) and has several features the JBL does not, however the design wasn’t for me. It was not on sale during Christmas, and I found it overpriced here in Canada. I believe it is less expensive in the USA, so if you’re looking for a good sounding portable unit, it’s worth checking out.

Dean

I don’t know that JBL but loved the Xtreme2 when I looked at it for the Radio Listener’s Guide last year. A warmer slightly more relaxed sound compared to the Sonos and JBLs at the same price level, which major on clarity. I could live with either but would plump for the JBL if pushed. The Kilpsch BT speakers are fun too - big bass from the Three 2 for sure. Ruark have yet to put a foot wrong sonically or aesthetically. And if you want to go a bit leftfield lok at the Sangean Revery range. Functional looks, well built, sound good.

Next up for Darko are the Klipsch Fives :slight_smile:

Phil

@Phil_Wright The Fives review should be an interesting review to do. I had the Sixies for a spell, and they really sung once the volume was turned up a bit. Weren’t really suitable for say, a small bedroom / office. But with a bit more space and some damping in the room, that Klipsch Heritage sound came through without being too shrill (a complaint I read about them, but didn’t really experience).

I’ve a couple versions of The Three’s. With and without Google Assistant. Same sound on both. Different features. I keep coming back to them. But I’m truly enjoying the JBL Boombox 2 at the moment. It’s the biggest, and loudest, in the JBL bluetooth lineup. It’s really quite impressive sounding. JBL opted for no app or EQ control, leaving the user to tune EQ at the source. The UE Hyperboom I mentioned, in my opinion, is trying to be audiophile portable speaker, and at times it comes close, but it’s too inconsistent. It’s internal DSP left me having to tweak EQ every other song. Mind you, I also felt that somewhat with the last iteration of the B&W Zeppelin Air.

With the JBL Boombox I find a happy medium and it works for me. For the CAD$400 I invested, it’s hard to beat.

Cheers.

What?! those are all new amps. You need a pair of these:

Sheldon

5 Likes

I could hobble over on my Zimmer frame and warm my hands on the valves :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I got the model name wrong Quad 202 I meant Quad II

I only got into Quad At the 303

Some updates to my setup done over the last months. Still not done with cables, a few new ordered to make it look better :slight_smile:

18 Likes

We have two solutions for portability. The Bluesound Pulse 2i is a great source for Roon/Qobuz/local file playing. It has two 5.25" woofers and two 1" tweeters. The sound is very good and will kick butt if you want it to. The other solution is my Moto Z Force phone with the JBL MotoMod self powered speaker. It will run Roon where available and the SD card in the phone has over 500 albums in M4A and will last over 8 hours.
pulse 2i

5 Likes

Hi- Is this set up for 7.1 AV and 2 channel music listening? I’ve never seen 7.1 with all the speakers so close together. How does it sound with a movie?

Count me in as curious also, @Tor_Gunnar_Berland has it all going on…

Edit: this post answers quite a few questions Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos

1 Like

This is the front part - with front subs, left, center and right + wides.
Fronts at +/-27 degrees (azimuth), wides at +/- 45 degrees. Center obviously at 0 :slight_smile:

It is a 9.4.9 setup (processor got 22 channels in use, out of 32 in total).

System:

• 2xB&W 802 D3
  • 1xB&W HTM1 D3
  • 2xB&W 803 D2
  • 2xB&W 805 D2
  • 2xB&W SCMS
  • 9xPiega AP 1.2
  • 2xB&W DB1
  • 2xParadigm Persona Sub
  • Trinnov Altitude32
  • Trinnov Amplitude8
  • Trinnov Amplitude8M
  • Bryston 4B SST2 (used for 805D2 wides)
  • Oppo UDP 203
  • Apple TV 4K
  • OSMC Vero 4K+
  • LG OLED77CX
  • Roon Nucleus+
9 Likes

Dang, I’ve never even heard of 9.4.9! What kinda of digital processing does that? Atmos?

2 Likes

Processor: Trinnov Altitude32
For Atmos I will only get 8 ceiling speakers, Ch (center height) is DTS:X or Auro3D. So either native DTS:X/Auro3D or Neural:X/Auromatic upmix to get Ch ceiling speakers active. DTS:X or Neural:X gives action in all speakers.

5 Likes

Wow… :star_struck: