Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

Here’s my setup

14 Likes

Is that room treatment behind the speakers? It all looks great.

@Chrislayeruk. No, they are Ikea floor standing lamps (can’t remember the model name) but actually help as room treatments in a way as the KEF LS50’s are rear ported.

1 Like

This is my older setup. I have changed the subs to sealed ones. I have a rack of silence on it’s way too.
Below is the new amp (Parasound Halo A21 and a Matrix mini-i Pro 2015 DAC/Pre

A Mytek Brooklyn and Auralic Aries will be next.
Synology NAS 2413+ holds all the music

4 Likes

Click my avatar for equipment details.

Slightly tilted because either:
(a) I live on a ship and sail the seven seas in search of new audio experiences; or
(b) I can’t stand straight.

3 Likes

Hey @anon94274355
That’s a sweet hookup. While a headless setup run via tablet is awesome for solo listening, I think the big screen really adds to group enjoyment. Nice set up.

1 Like

Thanks. That’s exactly how I used to have my mini setup and just ran RoonServer and controlled it with the iPad. But recently i was missing the large Roon UI, so I also just installed RoonRemote on the mini for when I want the large screen experience.

Somewhat dated in that the DAC has changed, the SBT has been replaced with an ODROID-C2 running Roon Bridge and there’s a TT in the back left corner (for those occasions I have visitors that insist on vinyl being their preferred medium). Those Crown amps used to power an IB subwoofer installation comprising 8x15" woofers…decommissioned since installing the chunk traps.

Current setup comprises:
Roon Bridge running on Arch Linux installed on ODROID-C2 | Schiit Yggdrasil DAC | ATCSCA2 preamp | ATCSCM100ASL active speakers

Link to Picture 1

Link to Picture 2

6 Likes

That’s what I call Roo. treatment…

That is a great space. Good to see plenty of treatment in there. I know from my own findings that it makes a huge difference.

[quote=“ncpl, post:133, topic:235, full:true”]
That is a great space. Good to see plenty of treatment in there. I know from my own findings that it makes a huge difference.
[/quote]That is the only room in the house where I can do as I please … it leads off from the garage and has a firewall separating the garage from the rest of the house, so sound doesn’t travel and my wife doesn’t care what it looks like as nobody sees it unless they seek it out.

4 Likes

Of course an easy way to avoid the electrical storm is to use optical out.

1 Like

Making an ugly schematic look pretty…first the system detail (note when I drew this I was using Cat 7 cabling, I have since switched to Cat 6a to avoid any noise travelling down the shielding in the cable):

and then the “pretty” parts:

8 Likes

wow you made the maggies look good!

2 Likes

Thanks Danny. I had my Maggies before I met my wife, so I had to figure out a way to please both… :heart_eyes:

2 Likes
  • QNAP TVS-471-i3-4G-US 4-Bay Intel Core i3 3.5GHz Dual Core, 4GB RAM, 24TB - LINUX
  • Multiple NAS backup(s), combo of QNAP + Drobo
  • Multi-Room, separate endpoints all Meridian (Combo of MS200 (6), 861v8, 818v3)
  • “Home-Run” rack system away from all endpoint(s), Cat5/7 cabling
  • Multiple iPad’s (8), mapped to zone(s), 85" 4K Samsung (airplay mirror), iMac 27"
  • Audiophile quality in all zones, including MQA resolution in 1 zone
  • Pro’s : engaging interface, superior meta data and graphics, easier administration of metadata, better ‘Focus’ than Sooloos, more clever ways to ‘Discover’ music with simple clicks …
  • Con’s : Buggy (crashing issues), responsiveness issues (ie. Tidal integration, too much time delay from when buttons are pressed), overall experiencing general COMMS issues w/Meridian + other endpoints, and lack of configurability to the end user (which I think should be one of the BIGGEST strengths, users should ‘create’ their console IMHO)
  • Net Net for me : ROON has the opportunity to be a true game changer, an engagement platform for audio that will hopefully continue to immerse their user base deeper into the artists they follow. I hope they continue to build a more stable platform and build/grow a vibrant ecosystem to hook into their core metadata/platform, I am excited and for now I’m “all in”. I am rooting for ROON in a big way, and do believe they have a shot at becoming the gold standard for audiophiles and users that want to understand more and connect to the music and artists they are listening to … and at the highest (audiophile if they choose) quality audio. Keep up the positive momentum for future releases!

Here’s my current (starting) set-up; not sure where I will go next - I didn’t want to buy any new hardware until I had more chance to research and try things out, so just using the kit I already have. I want to remove my reliance on a laptop and move to an always on store for the Roon core, but not sure where I will end up.

Sound is pretty good, but the Sony VAIO fan kicks noisily, so hard to compare with other solutions at the moment (I have a Naim NDX streamer as well)

It looks as though a Network Audio Appliance like the Sonicorbiter could do wonders in your system for not much money by using it as a Roon endpoint instead of the Sony Vaio. That way your Desktop PC could act as the Roon Core and keep the noise out of your listening environment.

1 Like

thanks @sdolezalek, I have been looking at sonicorbiter or microrendu as a ‘no regrets’ first step, but not decided yet.

In terms of the desktop PC, my only reluctance (to using it as the core) is the amount of power usage I would incur by having it on all the time. Of course, I could upgrade my NAS to use as the core…

options, options…

Here’s my current setup. I’ve tried a microRendu with a Dragonfly v1.2 in parallel with the RPi + IQaudio, but without being able to hear any difference.

I’m thinking of replacing my Quad 44 + 405 combo with a Quad Artera Link + Quad Artera Stereo, once the Artera Link is available. I’ll keep the microRendu until then, and see whether it works better with the Artera Link. However, the Artera Link is itself a networked device, so it may well render the microRendu superfluous. On the other hand, I’ve been told by Quad that the Artera Link will not be Roon Ready, so I’m not yet sure whether it will work with Roon… Time will tell.

Edit: Network layout shown above is as per September 2016.

1 Like