Ayre VX-5 Twenty Amp
Ayre KX-5 Preamp
Transparent Cabling
Wilson Sabrinas

Additional systems in use for work/desktop/headphones

20 Likes

I like your ATCs!

1 Like

The DS and my ears will need some time to get used to each other though.
But I’ll do it and report my findings.
And then I can test full MQA for the first time, too.
I’m also interested in what changes when I put the Pre (Ayre) out of the chain and drive the ATCs directly.

1 Like

Roksan deck?

Yes, they are very likable.
I hear with the “grills” on, it sounds clearly better (and as intended).
But for photos they get stripped to show all their beauty :wink:

Linn LP12 with Lingo, Ekos2, Greenstreet sub-chassis, Tiger Paw Tranquility magnetic bearing mod, and either Linn Kandid, Benz Ref. 2 Silver, or VdH Frog cartridge.

I like the Frog, it’s a nice cart!

1 Like

Me too - it’s been re-tipped now 3 times, and I keep just wearing it out over time.

1 Like

Speaker , little just like the WAF !!!

6 posts were split to a new topic: Lots of folk still run vinyl, does anybody run it via Roon , if so how

A post was merged into an existing topic: Lots of folk still run vinyl, does anybody run it via Roon , if so how

My headphone rig at my home office, from top:

• Moon MiND2 Network Player (Upgraded Moon Neo MiND)
  • Schiit Yggdrasil Analog2
  • Moon 430HAD
  • Isotek Sigmas EVO3

to the right (can only see a small part of the screen) - iMac Pro; and behind the iMac you can see part of Audiobyte Hydra Z attached to Hydra ZPM and iFi micro iUSB3.0. Connected to the headphone amplifier is either Audeze LCD-4 (rev 2) or Audeze LCD-XC (rev 2).

Edit:
Nucleus+ used as Roon core (not visible here

7 Likes

That’s some nice Schiit :grinning:

2 Likes

Interesting that you hear a difference between grille on and off. I automatically removed the grilles from my ATC SCM 19s as I just like the looks better without grilles. Never thought it could make a sonic difference.

There will be a sonic difference. Just try :slight_smile:

Here’s a silly video that I made yesterday (sadly, with my smartphone camera) of Roon streaming MQA to my loft listening room: https://youtu.be/9vGRAPsvFeQ

The (Hifi) 50s have very different grills than the 19s. Yours have a metal grill that is meant to be acoustical neutral. Therefore your are free to make any aesthetic or safety driven decision.

The (Hifi) 50s and above have a (square looking but actually round) wooden frame with air holes on the sides covered with acoustic fabric. (The pro versions of that range don’t have grills at all. They have a wooden frame integrated that creates an edge rounded baffle, that is a - passive - acoustic element of the loudspeaker). Also the tweeters in the Hifi versions are tuned to compensate the fabric. So taking the grills off the 50s is changing the sound.

I have a small boy (under two years) running around and playing directly in front of these speakers. So not only for sonic reasons I only strip them for pictures, I also prefer the sound with grills on. As much as I love to look at the drivers I like the understatement when they are covered. The surprise when these “boxes” start performing is priceless.

6 Likes

Here’s my “Sonos Bar” zone. Roon lyrics on center TV and Thunder game on each side. A pair of JBL Century’s at the top driven by a Sonos Connect. I’m getting a little light on the booze so need to make a beer run.

16 Likes

Finally got a good W today :grin: :basketball:

Cool bar there mate.

Yeah, about time.

1 Like