Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

RAMA is the best! ZealPC Tealios 67g
And on my other one I have the Zealios 67g

1 Like

I prefer the heavier tactile switch-feel as well.

Azulle Inspire running Linux with Linux server version of Roon.

7 Likes

Thanks for the reply, Billy.
Never heard, seen in reality or touched any Nagra gear, but I read that the SQ, build quality and functionality are top notch. Unique and beautiful engineering, especially those pyramid shaped power amps that I saw in a magazine once.

Cheers!

I see we have another component in common too, the Moon 430HA!
I really like mine and enjoy it’s sounds, even think the built in DAC sounds very good! (though not like the Nagra)

Great eye!
It’s the only balanced headphone amp I have to drive the Abyss 1266.

1 Like

Hi there.

I’m running Roon on a QNAP TS-269L and getting reasonably consistent results. Only ‘reasonably’ as the ‘waiting for remote core’ can take a few seconds at times. I only use the NAS for file storage and Roon so, it not loaded with multiple apps running and things like backup are run overnight etc,. 4tb raid storage and 3gb memory. The later being Critical my experience. That because monitoring resources, I see Roon using about 10% of the processor power but significant amount of memory (circa 2gb). I run to about 10 endpoints and use a number of control points and neither of these seem to make a difference to performance. As I said, it’s the remote connection to the control point that gets v slow at times. Also a search for a play list Seems to hang or return ‘no results’ but the next search for ‘albums by date’ immediately returns. This does feel to me like it’s the core SW that’s a likely suspect. However playing files does get interrupted so overall I’d say it works well on Qnap for me. But is memory hungry.

Typing on iPad so please excuse typos

My new system.
Cambridge Audio Edge NQ and Abacus Cortex 15S speakers.
Goldkabel XLR cables
ROCK running on a NUC in different room.

My old system was an Allo Digione player, a Music fidelity V90 DAC, an old Yamaha power amp and Dynaudio Audience 40 speakers.

Very pleased with my new system.

25 Likes

Very nice setup.

Nice. Simple is the best.

2 Likes

Hi,
new member, 4 days into the free trial and decided Roon is the way to go. Been looking at options to try to imporve 2 channel music and replace my Sonos port. So system will be:
Just ordered a fanless Roon NUC with i7 processor 1Tb SSD hardrive, 8gc Ram and 120gb M.2 from InsideTech
Just also ordered a Cocktail Audio X45 to replace the Sonos port.
These will fit into my existing system of:
Arcam Av950
2 x Audiolb 8200mbs running Quad Z3 for the fronts
Emotiva BasX500 runs C/Rears when using HT.
Cds are ripped by DBpoweramp to Wav files on a Netgear ReadyNAS (8Tb).
Plan to use the storage in the NUC for music and use the NAS as back up.
Needless to say I will be subscribing to Roon once the trail ends. Expecting the NUC nad X45 late next week. I also have 4 other Sonos zones through the house.
Cheers
Ian

5 Likes

Would love to hear your opinion about the Abacus Cortex. I have a rather old pair of their A-Box 5 bookshelves and they still sound great.

1 Like

I think one of my favourite aspects of Roon is the fact that I can keep my Sonos speakers around the house but also mix other ecosystems such as SOtM and other streamers while maintaining cohesiveness with my existing components.

2 Likes

I like them a lot. The only real comparison I have are with my old Dynaudio, and the Abacus Cortex are much better. Clean, precise, fast and transparent. And the bass is nice, too. Even though they are not particularly big.
You probably know that you can test them at home?! Highly recommended.

New house, new system!
Osborn Eos Reference Elite speakers, Sugden A21SE amp. Super happy with the upgrade after 20 years with my old system. Next upgrade is a NUC as Roon is running on an old MacBook, plugged directly into a Topping DX3 DAC (all tucked away because it’s ugly :joy:). Clearaudio Emotion SE turntable awaiting duty, but my Puffin phono amp is stuck in San Francisco waiting for a flight to Australia. :triumph:

19 Likes

Thats a lovely setup but that turntable really needs to be placed in a more suitable location. :+1:

3 Likes

holy Festool batman!

surprised so many here knew what those green handles were

2 Likes

High quality tools are as important as quality sound and components. Both fall under the “get the the best you can afford” banner. Love mine, wish I could afford more of them. That shop looks like a gold mine to me

1 Like

Main Room : Synology DS116 NAS > Intel NUC7i7BNH Mini PC (Roon Core) > Linn Selekt DSM with Katalyst DAC > Mark Levinson No. 532H Amp > Thiel Audio CS 2.4 Loudspeakers

Bedroom : Synology DS116 NAS > Intel NUC7i7BNH Mini PC (Roon Core) > Auralic Aries Wireless Streaming Bridge > Curious Cable USB > Chord Hugo 2 DAC/AMP > Senn HD 800S or Audeze LCD-X Cans or Senn IE800 Earphones

Another Room : Synology DS116 NAS > Intel NUC7i7BNH Mini PC (Roon Core) > Sonore microRendu > Chord Hugo DAC/AMP > Audeze LCD-X Cans

Main Room: Speakers not shown. NAS and Roon Core in another room.

8 Likes

Yes you’ll note the motor isn’t even installed there. :wink:
It’s getting its own shelf sometime soon. Although even in the meantime I’m concerned about sitting it there given the amount of heat that comes off the Sugden. :flushed:

1 Like