Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2021-04 .. 2021-09]

Andrew,

Get an HD Plex Power Supply and run your 2012 MAC Mini on 12 volts. Lowers noise floor and your Mini runs cooler. I have the same year Mini and you can learn how to do it from ifixit.com
Mod a Mac Mini for DC Power! on Vimeo. It actually shows running the Mini on a 12-15 Volt Battery. But HD Plex makes a great PS that has four adjustable outputs. It’s what Have been using for over 5 years and it works great!

Are you sure Kevin? C’mon you tell us that your a refugee Limy who’s been a yankee for quite a while now and you claim you still spin your huge vinyl collection. But your TT sits on the lowest shelf of your rack. How in the heck do you load and cue up an album on your knees???..Further more, you said your other half likes vinyl as well…that would mean she loads records to listen too down there as well?

C’mon you just play with your kitties in your Cattery whilst listening to your collection on Roon don’t you.:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

That’s just the living room very occasionally used TT.
But it’s a full auto linear tracking unit.
To compete with the ease of CD they were very popular late 80,s or so.
Lift lid, place record on platter, close lid, push start, job done.
When record ended arm goes back to home and platter stops.

Pure Bliss at times​:grin::grin:.

This is the big boys rig!

13 Likes

Yep I had three different TT’s with Straight Line tracking tone arms… I had a Harmon Kardon, a Yamaha and a B&O TT really loved how they all worked mechanically…supposedly just like masters were cut.

OK…Then…that’s more like it…This looks like a TT that you actually use…nice spot light for late night cueing!

1 Like

The way my eyes are going Larry I need that led light more often than not😁.
It’s in use right now playing some Uriah Heep!

1 Like

Thanks for your help. Everyone at the Roku website insists that Netflix doesn’t have Atmos, even though I took screenshots showing Dolby/Atmos being played, and it says so on page 306 of my owners manual. The Trinnov software showing actual input from a current media source is a great tool to have.

1 Like

Netflix got Atmos, but of course - not all releases from Netflix got atmos sound, but many of them.

If you get Atmos from Roku device, not sure, but I do get Atmos via Apple TV 4K at least (+ Dolby Vision).

1 Like

thank you for the very kind comment and compliment!!

thank you! – i am thinking on a way to add analog while keeping the minimalism. haven’t found the exact solution yet, but i am determined to get there.

:upside_down_face:

Possibly about the only solution might be an older Linear tracking TT ?
These are very compact, play with the lid down and a lot of them had a simple built in phono stage(mm).
Some models were hardly larger than an actual album and very unobtrusive.

Somewhat lofi but not terrible with a half decent mm cartridge of which plenty still exist.

2 Likes

Actually all three of mine where terribly large platforms as they came stock…if I remember my B&O, The arm had to travel quite a ways to get to spinning vinyl…I think I remember the tone arm lived in a little house until you needed it…so the motor board was large…

Hey gotta check out this construction of a $18,500 turntable from scratch …its mostly of the base being made but this guy really has this constructive technique really figured out…I could watch this mechanical stuff all day… Making a £13000 turntable - YouTube

2 Likes

Technics were the master of the compact linear tracking TT.
I had this model myself a couple years back and foolishly sold it in a fit of madness.
Hard to think of a better looking and functional linear tracking TT IMHO.
Now this one is spendy but there are good used examples starting about $800 if you shop round.

1 Like

JL subs pulled out of the system and going on the market soon…

24 Likes

@Charles_Tidwell Is cat ‘Roon Ready’? :grinning:

1 Like

One year into a new house and I’m finally getting there. Tidied up all the cabling this weekend, all that’s left now is building isolation platforms for turntable, amp and DAC. IsoPucks under the speakers has been the best bang for buck change yet. The amp and DAC hide behind a chair, keeping things pretty minimal.

Pi4 w/ Ropieee → RME ADI-2 DAC → Sugden A21SE amp → Osborne EOS Reference Elite speakers.
(For those interested, the turntable is a Clearaudio Emotion SE → Puffin DSP Phono → RME ADI-2)

49 Likes

Classic, clean and beautiful! Congratulations on the new house - having been through it I know how much work it is to put your ideas into realities. Enjoy!

Daaaaaamn, that’s gorgeous! Great work, man!

You bet she is! :wink:

New house, new setup. I’m waiting for a painting to go on the fireplace but for now the blanket helps with the acoustics!

For the Roon Core I use a Nucleus with 2TB SSD and I’ve got an iPad for control.

My streamer is a Chromecast which plugs into the optical input on my Quad CD player via a short Chord Company optical cable.

Turntable is a Technics SL-1200G with Audio Technica VM540ML/H.

Amplifiers are either a restored Quad 33 and 303 combo, all wired with DIN plugs with the 33 powering the 303 as or Quad’s original design; or a Croft 25/7 pair

Speakers are either 15 Ohm Falcon LS3/5a (seen behind the KEFs) or KEF LS50, which usually do duties in the movies system upstairs. The stands are SolidSteel SS-7 with a Hi-Fi Racks Podium Slim.

I also have a Graham Slee Solo/PSU1 headphone amp and Beyerdynamic DT-990 headphones.

36 Likes

Love the Quad setup. It’s vintage but out of the box vintage. Very left field but in a good way.

2 Likes