Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2021-04 .. 2021-09]

I rent a room in someone’s house, so my setup has to be contained to my room for the time being.
It’s dirty because I am still getting all moved in and setup.

Also, i felt I should add my listening headphones as sometimes I enjoy roon in a more immersive headspace. My mom works for this company which started with earbuds but I was absolutely shocked to hear their high-end pair beat out my planar headphones in clarity:

Audiophile Headphones -Cleer Next (cleeraudio.com)

and my DAC device is a portable AD/DA from RME, the Babyface Pro, since I am a mobile performer it checked off all the boxes for me:

Babyface Pro | High-end USB Audio Interface - rme-usa.com

9 Likes

Really top notch speakers + sub there :+1:

When they’re not home, do you crank it extra loud ! :grinning:

1 Like

looks fantastic.

Arguably of the nicest near field stereo monitoring systems ever, but definitely the nicest one I could afford! I have the second sub coming next month from backorder, and I’ve got GLM and all the speakers linked via ethernet and room correction, so the second sub isn’t to be 2.2, it’s more like phase aligning the sub to the top end and extending each top-end monitor down into the range below it’s drop off.

I definitely turn it up when no one’s home :slight_smile: - Though, due to the room size and lack of treatment, I can only really turn the speakers up to -26.5 db, measurement microphone a reading of between 95-105db within the listening sweet spot - which is loud enough to fill the room and hear all the detail without being too much from reflections. I need to add some acoustic panels, which i have in the garage but need to mount, to help with the high end harshness at higher levels

2 Likes

Thanks. My wife designed the room. She allowed me to place the KEFs there.
This is the first time I have had a Roon zone in public room in the house.

3 Likes

I like this “kids, you have to skip college and Christmas this year, dad needs some new gear” :slight_smile:

She has expensive taste in fans.

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the feedback.
The Zenith has RJ45 out to attach a streamer + USB out to a DAC. I run the Zenith as ROON Core with Squeezelite Player (experimental). In this mode you can connect it directly over USB to a DAC, and the Zenith is then the Roon Endpoint.

The TDAI-1120 has a USB input, but I am not sure it is compatible with the USB output on the Zenith. Would anyone here know?

I also use the RJ45 on the Zenith with an Allo Digione Signature (Roon Endpoint), which connects via SPDIF to the DAC. In this configuration I would not use any of the streaming functions on the TDAI-1120.

I am not familiar with the 2170 and it’s features. I would have to read up on it.
I keep you posted.

I would out the Naim Uniti range on that list fantastic and imo one of the smoothest Roon experiences and sound fantastic.

Yes you are correct and now maybe the NAD M10 V2 as well. Getting very interesting in the £2k ish area of the market at the moment.

Not that I would need it, but did you ever upgrade to the headphone edition?

No i haven’t other house priorities taken over so it’s back of the queue by a long way. Just converting my garage into a garden Room and office for me so all funds diverted to that. May spend a bit to add some actives that I will power either from my RME or SMSL for the office but even thats tenuous until I know how much I will have left as builds never go to plan and always cost that bit more.

Simon sadly there is always less money left than planned, but at least you get the extra space and can always add the new music system later. In a similar spent out place at the moment :grin:

The other option I have been considering is active speakers but then that will be multiple visits to stores to test out the sound. I imagine I would be very happy with that set-up with my Matrix Audio driving them.
I would probably end up spending more money at that point and the market still seems to be growing fairly quickly.

1 Like

Love the nad m10. ‘Down graded’ to it and never regretted it.
Like a lot of these things I think certain ones suit certain speakers better. I prefer to think of speakers as long term and find an amp to suit.

4 Likes

I was lucky enough to get some quadral aktiv aurum for a second system second hand at a great price. Sound great to be honest and never regretted it.

2 Likes

Looking at the Acoustic Energy AE1 actives if the money allows. But got to listen to them first. I might just stick with cans though and reuse the bedroom system until funds allow, and use my DAP in the bedroom (less clutter).

1 Like

Assuming for the new office, but they look really good and plenty of power

Too many options and looking forward to some serious shopping visits next summer :grin:

2 Likes

Possibly, in my dining room 2nd system I have my RME and some QAcoustics powered speakers that makes a good budget combo and might use these speakers in the office and get the AE’s for in there. But not sure. Not sure I want the more expensive system out of the house but it will likely get more use if I did. Currently I am camped in the dinning room for my make shift office and don’t spend much time in it anymore after work as need a change of space.

1 Like

Ah that I understand from early in lockdown, but thankfully I mostly went back to work in May last year.

It was really good mentally to not spend so much time at home, but it seriously hit my music listening time after spending so much effort to get everything set up.
Still it’s great to have it when I need it in the different rooms

2 Likes

Very nice room!

Hi

Where did you get the grills I need something for when my granddaughter visits

Thanks