Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2021-04 .. 2021-09]

@RPlace @Jasper_Mason

So who is your pick to win La Vuelta this year?

I’m going with one of my personal favorites Primož Roglic. :biking_man:

Note to others: My apologizes for going way off topic but cycling fans have so little self control. :grin:

I think Roglic is a solid pick. I’m going to go waaaaay out on a limb and pick with my heart and not my head. Sepp Kuss. How about that for a long shot?!?! He is off to a pretty good start.

And if I get a backup pick I’m going to go with age and experience Alejandro Valverde

I had enough self control to give up before my knees did.

The thought of cycling in JHB scares me stiff :smiling_imp:

My humble setup. I live in a small condo so space is pretty tight. Source is usually Roon/Qobuz, out of the M1 mac mini into the Cambridge 851N, then onto my Emotiva A300 to the Focal Chora 826. TV is a older LG B7 65-inch oled. Furman 15 PFi-Elite for power. To control the DAC/streamer I use my 8g iPad. The nice thing is I can either use the Mac to control roon or the ipad it’s kind of my choice. The Mac is also the roon core. I’m using all wireworld cables for the USB/RCA/Speaker cables. Enjoying some Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau at the moment. I also use the Mac as my primary media PC for the living room and it has a second monitor on the stand near my seating position. I’ve been debating about putting my vulcan rack and complete hifi system in my office as a dedicated listening area. The setup is a little ghetto since I’m using a old tv stand for the tv and I have draped over it a bed sheet to hide all the wires. I switched to Qobuz because I have a whole house VPN and Tidal doesn’t allow connection to their services through a VPN. Any advice/thoughts are appreciated.

16 Likes

hard to see, but looks like Solti in the pic. w/ DFD?

Hey Ian,

Been watching MotoGP for decades! Been watching GP since the days of Kenny Roberts, who was one of the pioneers of racing back in the 70’s! I use a dedicated MAC Mini in my system that is where all my Roon music is stored …but I also do use it for streaming MotoGP!

This last race where rain changed all the results was the most wild race I have ever seen…exciting for sure!

Cheers!

1 Like

I lived for motorcycle Grand Prix in my youth, some really great times in the 80,s and 90,s.

Still vividly remember the 90 German GP where both Doohan and Chili performed a synchonised highside!
And Gardners Aus GP highside that was sheer spectacle!

Oh ok, enough of the gory stuff…lol

2 Likes

Noriuka Haga survived the best highside I have ever seen. Apologies if I spelt him wrong he was just known as win it or bin it here.

2 Likes

Before we derail this thread maybe there is a need for a MotoGP thread! :innocent:

My favorite years were the out of control 500 V4 ones, no Nanny aids, just rider skill and judgement…

As an aside I grew up in same little town as “Rocket” Ron Haslam.
Course we all wanted to be like Ron…lol.
Sideburns and all!!

3 Likes

Yep…Great shot of the fabulous Two stroke trying to spit off the rider (Haslam I presume?). Those two strokes were a beast to ride…Ron’s son Leon is currently campaigning a Honda in World Superbikes who are racing this weekend at a new track called Navarra inSpain I think!

I think it’s Wayne Gardner??

Not sure as no credit with it but that’s who I googled…lol

1 Like

Yep - that’s Wayne Gardner in his usual pose - spat off the highside! Hard man and hard rider but then they all were in the days of the 500s.

2 Likes

Hi Larry,
similar, been watching bike racing since I was a kid, still remember Sheene & Roberts in the Transatlantic Trophy races in the UK.
Although you can’t see it, Roon is on a NUC behind the TV.

2 Likes

Hello folks. Been a little while since I posted. This past week I replaced a MacMini M1 as my Roon Core with a custom NUC. I can’t tell you how much snappier the new server is. The Mini is very good; this is better. And, the Mini can still be used as a personal PC or can be sold as a Roon Core for someone else to enjoy.

Specs:
Intel i5 processor,
fanless,
16gb RAM,
256 SSD boot drive,
internal 2TB SSD music drive.

11 Likes

Looks like an Akasa Plato case.
Same as my 7i3 is housed in.
Very nice!

5 Likes

It’s a great case. Are you using a linear power supply with it?

Yes the one next to it in the picture.
No idea if it actually makes any difference to the sq though…lol.

Think it was about $120 off eBay.

:innocent:
… probably the same with these “Alpha E Cards” … just could’nt resist …

1 Like

Yep…
I knew the designer fairly well before they passed away all too soon.

Pretty sure they were all freebies :innocent:

holy cow. good for you garye. living life. that is just beautiful. cumbria you said? amazing. i bet music sounds a lot better with that view. :smiley:

1 Like