Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2021 .. 2022]

Hi @Dennis_in_FL ,

There’s a lengthly discussion of rooDial in the community here:

In my current setup, I’m not actually using it for volume control. The Gustard X16 is set up as fixed (0 dB attenuation) and the Topping Pre90 preamp manages volume control. I can operate the remote control for the Topping with my eyes closed, so I don’t mind using its remote.

I use the rooDial for playback control. I have rotation configured to fast forward/rewind/scrub through the track. Helpful if I’m looking for a particular part to play for someone. I tap once on the top to skip to the next track…makes it easier for me to work through some of the longer playlists that I’ve imported into Roon to find cool new stuff. Double-tapping pauses playback so that I can refresh my beverage. Long-press takes me back to the start of the current track or to the previous track.

The cool thing about rooDial is that it’s very configurable. It could work well as a volume control if I just left my preamp set to around 10 dB louder than my typical listening level and enabled Roon’s DSP Volume (which does remember level settings), but with my DAC, there are some minor compromises when doing so…for example, no native DSD or MQA playback (not that these matter a ton) and slightly elevated CPU usage on my endpoint since it has to do the calculations and final dithering.

The main thing I like about rooDial is that I can use it as a basic playback control. This enables me to leave my phone, with all of its distractions, in another room when I’m dedicating some time to listening to music. Cheers.

6 Likes