Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2021 .. 2022]

Thanks! This will greatly enhance my Roon experience.

And so begins the never ending story :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yeah, saving money for a NUC with some serious storage now :rofl:

1 Like

I am up and running. Excited! Hahaha.

Look at that Raspberry Pi rocking my setup :joy:

Couple of things.

1. I need to clean the Marshall speaker.
  2. I need to tidy things up a bit.

But it works.

It’s a shame RoPieee is not working yet so that needs some attention. I now installed Raspberry Pi OS and Roon Bridge manually.

7 Likes

Hi! Please indulge me. I’m confused by the picture. How are you connecting the Roon Bridge to the Marshall Speaker? What is that AUX connector? Thanks!

I have connected an USB to 3.5 mm audio jack cable from the Raspberry Pi to the Marshall speaker.

Was going to ask the same. I think you might need an analog signal for that AUX input. But it’s hard to tell from the pic.

Basically this.

With integrated DAC? The DAC probably needs to be recognized and selected in Ropieee…

Integrated DAC indeed.

My Pi with RoPieee does not receive an IP address so I have not tried audio yet. For now, it is a manual installation.

See: No DHCP request RoPieeeXL pi3-2022.8.1-stable - Audio Gear Talk / RoPieee - Roon Labs Community

Thanks for the pic, very cool :+1:

1 Like

Thanks! But, sorry, now I’m more confused. So your bridge device has an integrated DAC that outputs analog via USB? Or does your Marshall speaker have a DAC that accepts digital input via a 3.5 mm jack?

The DAC is in the cable. The bridge device has USB. The Marshall has analog AUX. So, the processing takes place “in the cable”. I guess there is a chip in the connector handling it. Just like the dongle Apple provides.

1 Like

Oohh! All right! Thanks! Can you share the model of that cable? That looks interesting.

It’s this one:

USB C naar jack 3.5 mm kabel | Roline | 0.8 meter (Stereo, Verguld) Roline Kabelshop.nl

Since the Raspberry Pi does not have USB C I had to purchase an adapter as well:

USB A naar USB C adapter | Goobay | USB 3.0 (Zwart) (kabelshop.nl)

To be honest, if sound quality is not the most important requirement like in this situation, I guess all USB to 3.5 jack cables will work.

There is nothing special about this one.

2 Likes

Thanks! I get/see it now. Yours is not really this cable:

Correct! It was just an example to show you both connectors.

It gets confusing, some of them are just usb c to jack as usb c can deliver analog sound but it is not standard of usb c, I saw some phones doing that. Others look the same but are convertes, I guess that is a dac.

Nice lived in room! What’s your sitting position relative to your speakers, it looks as if they have some extreme toe going on based on the last picture.

I didn’t realise we were expecting Spotify Connect with the 8C. Always good for the small people in my house - any idea on general release?