Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2021 .. 2022]

Hi David and welcome to the Roon Community. Your clear and concise writing coupled with your very no nonsense, common sense approach already makes you a most welcome addition to this community. Good luck with your trail and hope that stay with Roon. Happy Holidays!

5 Likes

Thank you Ralph, and same to you. I’ll do my best to stay out of trouble.

1 Like

What I really need to do is sell them. Trying to stop holding on to old gear I seldom have a use for, “just in case.” There are so many modern and inexpensive speakers that are better sounding. I do enjoy them for what they are and have owned them (used) since trading in Snell C mkIV the day before I moved across the country back in the 1990s. The shop had Naim floor standers that bettered them but were beyond my reach (and, I wanted smaller speakers).

Most people would never guess you can fit a pair of Snell C’s (boxed) into the back of a 1991 Honda Accord sedan (back seat folded down). But it happened. We used that car for large IKEA purchases also. Minivans, SUVs and trucks … are for amateurs. All of which I owed since then, thereby forfeiting my last shred of credibility there.

4 Likes

when i first read this i momentarily thought of the Type E, but the C’s were massive- impressive!

Oh I really liked the E. That’s what I should have bought instead of the C’s even though the C could perform magic.

In the early '90s I worked at a Snell retailer although we didn’t carry all models. So this would be post-Peter Snell and still in the Kevin Voecks era. Two of the more successful guys owned Snell A’s and a third the E. I bought C III — despite being the LEAST successful salesman there, so $1100 dealer cost ($2200 retail) was huge expense for me — and they delivered the IV. It was a risk because I’d never heard the IV and the store was getting out of the relationship with Snell – no returns.

I liked them but was never truly happy with them. I thought the highs were smoother on the III but the mids cleaner on the IV. Ran them from an Onkyo M-508 with bypassed Nichicon caps until the caps began to leak. Paid $200 to get it fixed back to stock and quickly sold it; it never sounded as good stock. I still have my NAD 3020 that was pressed into service, and it ran the C’s just as well as it runs these little ES14’s. (Good, but my no means great.)

I still have a pair of Snell J’s in the living room. Refoamed them about 4-5 years ago. Sorry, I realize this isn’t an “audio gear thread.”

4 Likes

Just to keep it in mind - a bit off topic, but I think it’s important in times like these: happy holidays to you all and have fun with your music and setup, whatever it may be.

I have a lot of fun reading and writing here. Thank you for that.

11 Likes

While my Naim preamp is being serviced, my Bose Smart Speaker has stepped up to the task, allowing me to continue to enjoy Roon. Happy holidays and Merry Christmas!

11 Likes

I have one of the smaller Bose speakers (Soundlink Revolve), and they are shockingly good for their size and cost!

1 Like

…and merry Xmas to you too :+1:t3:

2 Likes

That would include me (bi-amped Type A Improved) for many years because my spouse rejected the special employee accommodation I was awarded from Infinity for having the most sales in the Midwest region during 1978. When my new Reference Series finally showed up in the Spring of '79, she freaked out over the size of those monsters, and we bought Snell instead.

When the Holidays takes over your system….:christmas_tree::christmas_tree::christmas_tree::santa::mrs_claus:🧑‍🎄

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!

20 Likes

Haha! During my Christmas takeover, the Tekton Double Impacts are parked for more friendly KEF LS50s.

And my PSBs don’t mind a little bling on them:

But my Tetra Manhattans get a little lost:

But I love the decorator with all my heart.

Happy Holidays, everyone!

27 Likes

Thanks for sharing. What do you think of the turntable? Are you happy with it?

1 Like

@Wayne_McDermott, yes, I am very satisfied. Especially in combination with the High Output MC cartridge from Gold Note, it is a beautiful and sonically fine turntable.

2 Likes

A Magnepan fan I see…NICE…Use to have the Magnepan Tympani 1D’s for a few years…besides looking like room dividers they offered up the female voice like no others!

Yes, I built it as a 7.1 system for movies, using the Tri-center approach, but now listen mostly just in stereo to the 20.1’s - the imaging on the Holo Audio May DAC is so good it completely fills in the 25 foot space between the front speakers. :wink:

That’s an awesome setup as those speakers need the room to sound good! Also great to read about how good they image…another Maggie strong point!

What version of the Holo May DAC do you have?

I have had the Level 3 KTE for about 2 months now, it is fantastic, especially using HQ Player to upsample everything to DSD512!

2 Likes

Need to move the equipment off the speaker asap. Unwanted vibration is the enemy of hi-fidelity.

Thanks. If these speakers had any vibrations to create I’d do it quicker. It’s all temporary.

2 Likes