Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2021 .. 2022]

View from my listening chair.

19 Likes

Is that a BDI cabinet? I’m in the market…got a pic from across the room? Thoughts on it?

2 Likes

Be careful with BDI cabinets. The middle two doors do not open to the back. There’s a wall that limits the depth of equipment that you can place there. I suggest you look at Salamander if you want to place gear in the middle.

1 Like

Yes, it’s a BDI cabinet. Absolutely love it. I’ve also got a BDI bar so I can sip scotch in style!

4 Likes

You can place gear in the middle of BDI’s too. Depends on the model…so yeah, be careful in choosing your model.

3 Likes

Beautiful B1Ds.

1 Like

The acoustic treatment.

5 Likes

Nothing “budget” about you shed system if you include the shed. A dedicated or partially dedicated space for listening is premium! I would love one in my backyard! Very envious am I! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Hi Michael,
How does the Lumin/Kinki combo compare with the Devialet?

1 Like

The Lumin-Kinki combination delivers better SQ IMHO than the Devialet Expert 220 Pro. Much better dynamics, grippier bass and wonderful midrange.

1 Like

Dean, normally the B1Ds would have been unobtainable but I snagged a used pair from Canada. When they arrived, I discovered that they had once been sent to SoundStage for review purposes. They’ve been a superb addition to my hifi rig.

Agree. I have a 3-bay BDI Mirage and modified the back panel in the centre bay to allow me to put a full sized unit in there.
Oher than that I am very happy with it. That said, my box count is now much lower (Smart TV does stuff that I used to have boxes for) so I may downsize.

1 Like

I came close to cutting out the back but then I needed to brace the center because of the length of the middle being unsupported on the longer four door cabinet. It started to feel more like work then fun.

The Salamander is far more capable. The frame is excellent with infinitely adjustable shelves. Little known is the outer wood skin is relatively simple to replace by a competent cabinet maker.

The speakers look beautiful. In terms of appearance I like yours much more than another newer product line. Our company also loves this brand of speakers. We have a pair in our office, a product manager has a pair at his place, we also did multiple Munich shows with this brand.

1 Like

Thanks Stephen, It suits me and I love the sound. Here’s the view from outside - its 25M2 so a reasonable size and came in a flat pack form of 3 tonnes of wood and a manual. My Dad and I built it over 3 weekends. Fantastic for the teenagers and me.

The large concrete slabs on the speakers were a big improvement as the floors suspended along with the isolation points under the speakers.

6 Likes

Interesting comment. When I reviewed the devialets I thought they sounded great at high volumes but average at low volumes. I seem to recall that they actually have two amps internally and you have to crank it to take full advantage of the digital tech they are using.

I had the same impression as well.

It’s one of those sales moments. Everyone plays it loud in the shop and you can’t help but be impressed by the clarity, articulation, etc etc. but go home and play it at a fifth the volume and wonder what’s not working. And then chase down a bunch of other upgrades :joy:.

1 Like

I’ve got my quiet, mid, and loud tracks I use when doing a demo. It’s surprising how few setups sound really good low.

1 Like

Can you give any details on who you used to fit it, and what you fitted?