Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2021 .. 2022]

You need to move down to Cape Town Mike.
Us Capetonians will be rid of load shedding shortly and most of us have never seen a thunderstorm in real life :slight_smile: :grin:

You call Cassettes & MP3 High End??? Really? You must also know The Hammer… :rofl: :joy: :rofl:

4 Likes

That popped up in my feed and I considered posting it…but then I saw the effing price!!!

Unbelievable.

Time to drag out a “real” walkman…just to make @LarryMagoo day :joy:

4 Likes

The Hammer and I were going to announce our joint venture that converts FLAC to the new mp2 which have a frequency response from 800 to 2500Hz. An entire library can be stored on a small 4MB USB drive.

8 Likes

I think, I hope, that whole post was meant as a joke. After all, it started with a reference to The Sharper Image.

1 Like

Core running as VM on Cisco C220 M4
RPi4 running ropiee with hifiBerry DAC2 HD
Yamaha DSP-Z9
Dahlquist DQ-10 speakers
More to come…

2 Likes

Classics! :+1:

2 Likes

Obviously this would make a great player for when one is working really hard since it’s already anaerobic!

The Hammer and I have a running gag about his antiquated playback methods…It’s all meant in good fun! I think he’s of the same mind-set on that one! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I have one. I bought it as they were phasing them out for less than TMR is selling this one for. I think I got the last black one. I was going to use it to digitize my vinyl when I retired and then I didn’t retire. It’s a really full featured phonostage as well so that’s how I’m using it with a Audio Nirvana Thorens TD160 Super that I recently put a new Jelco TK-950S arm on which I also bought when they quit manufacturing those. The whole analog front end is no longer available? Oh well. I’m going to try and retire again in a few months, maybe I’ll fool around with digitizing LP’s again.

3 Likes

Wishing you well with reaching retirement. It’s less of a dream for me now and something that I can just make out in the fog. A few more years…

1 Like

I retired 18 years ago at age 56 after 34 years with the same US corporation. A bad day of retirement is better than a good day at work.

10 Likes

I spent 7 years there at the Newlands Brewery, I couldn’t agree more. I was transferred back to JHB, move or eat ?

Also my QUAD ESL’s worked there, they lasted 2 weeks here :see_no_evil:

I was considering retiring there but COVID got in the way

Maybe I will, we were down in Nordhoek at Xmas , we both still get damp eyes at Hex River :sunglasses:

You obviously never had a Nakamichi :smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp:

No …I actually did…A Nak 700 was it? I really enjoy mechanical gadgets that are engineered to work exactly a certain way…Nakamichi …was the $hit back then …I got mine from Federated in Santa Monica where they had the vaulted Nak 1000 spinning Metal Oxide tape…That had to be in the early or mid 70’s?
My 700 never let me down and I loved to adjust the head(s) tracking to get optimal FR and quietist background hiss. Sounds like maybe you’re not a Nakamichi fan?

2 Likes

Quite the opposite , I had 3 of them over the years a 600, a 582 and finally a CR7e all superb machines

I used metal tapes, mostly Maxell and other than noise I thought they replicated the original pretty closely

5 Likes

Accuphase E-380 in our lounge area, aka the living room.
My Bluesound Node 2i (wifi) is the DAC/streamer while the DAC-60 card is on order.

53 Likes

Lovely space. :heart_eyes:

Thanks!
We moved last fall to the new house with a fabulous view over the river.
Our lounge has 4 meter high windows, which give an amazing feel of space.

4 Likes

I doubt I’m alone, but I might be in the minority: I prefer seeing listening spaces that are also LIVING spaces. :slight_smile:

9 Likes