Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2021 .. 2022]

Speaker selection of the day! :slight_smile:
Roon MOCK bottom left side of rack, Aries G2.1 on top of the Okki on the left side. Denafrips Ares II doing DA duties at the time.

25 Likes

I’m with you on that statement. I have the original LS50W’s with an REL T7i sub and it’s quite an astounding system. Even in a large room, it’s effortlessly powerful and smooth.

1 Like

We did a similar thing last year. I posted some pictures then. In the UK there is a product called Acoustiwall.

It is sold as a system comprising the triple-layer board, joint sealer and tape. I’m not convinced my builders filled the gaps as instructed, but it was then plastered and papered.

It has the advantage of being only 30mm thick, whereas a conventional approach takes at least 100mm. We used it on the wall that joins to the next house, where the green chair is, not on the other wall, which is internal, as it’s quite expensive. We were therefore able to keep the bookcases flush as we did not lose much depth in the recesses.

We dropped the ceiling because it meant the holes for the lights do not break into the main ceiling. The main ceiling is fully intact save for one small hole for the electrical feed to the switch. The main and dropped ceiling are built from soundbloc, which is not much more expensive than standard plasterboard. This arrangement means I can play music fairly loud at night and my wife in the bedroom above can’t hear a thing.

The end result is a music and reading room that is sound insulated and reasonably well damped without looking like a recording studio. The back wall to the room also slides away into about 40 feet of open space behind it.

Incidentally, the ceiling lights are also speakers, designed by a group of genius chief engineers from Vivid, Naim and B&W.

35 Likes

The room looks very nice, love the recessed bookcases and ceiling. I can only hope ours turns out as visually appealing.

We will be losing 3 inches of floor space across the back with a new wall assembly and about 1 inch on front and side walls. The Quietrock is 3 layers, 5/8 thick, and weighs 89lbs for each 4x8’ sheet. That is what was available and we had to drive 200 miles to pick it up ourselves.

I’ve finished the demo work, electricians will be here tomorrow to replace all the electrical and run a new main (while the walls are open), wire/install 8 recessed lights in the vaulted ceiling and run the cables for 6 height speakers. Then I have 2 weeks to finish the walls before the new flooring goes in.

Thanks for the reply and info. Beautiful room.

Here’s one solution to consider:

1 Like

A very attractive arrangement.

Thanks. The Acoustiwall is also very heavy, fortunately comes in smaller sheets. Costs about $50psm. Once everything is exposed running the cabling is easy. Dedicated line for the audio on its own phase. I have a very good cabinetmaker, it’s expensive because it takes a lot of time to get a really high quality finish. I hope your project goes well, we enjoyed doing ours.

The audio writer Robert Harley wrote some extensive articles about building his room. It’s essential reading.

The key element is that the two drywalls are separated by 30mm that allows bass frequencies to flex the walls, absorbed and dissipated at heat, and not vibrate. He did his walls and ceiling himself and it still cost $13,500.

1 Like

Why would one spend any time whatsoever building a room to listen to those awful TAS Super Discs? What one would really need is a good sound blocking headset. :roll_eyes:

Have your new Accordos arrived yet & how did setup go (any recommendations?) my pair arrive on Wednesday March 2nd. :crossed_fingers:t4:

29 Likes

My control room:
McIntosh MC275 MKVI
McIntosh C8
McIntosh C53
RME ADI DAC FS2
Lumin T2
Anthem STR Power Amplifier

My main speakers in the big room are Nubert NuPyramide 717, a versatile 500W and 70kg beast of a speaker with downfiring subwoofer, that can be used in either direct or surround firing setup by the push of a switch - offering a diverse soundstage based on the daily mood, music or record choosen. There is no need anymore to sit tight on your chair for the stereo sweetspot.

The MC275 and C8 are connected to Wharfdale Lintons upstairs in the bar and lounge

The RME was my first DAC I had, still love it and kept it as second source hooked the main system

The whole system is controlled with a Logitech Harmony Hub via ipad

Last but not least - my faithful companion that joins me every evening for the music sessions

32 Likes

Nice setup Gary
How do you like the Rotel Michi ?
Plus I see the Lumin D2 plus SBooster is still hooked :slight_smile:
What happened to the 801D4 ?

The 801 D4 was my buddies system.

The Michi rocks!!! I used to have the Krell duo XD the Michi has a fuller sound and brings the bass out of my speakers. I recommend it.

2 Likes

I was looking both into the Michi and the STR, went for the STR in the end because of weight / dimensions. Do you feel / hear the additional PS / Watts make a difference over the Krell ?
Just asking because it made for me - adding really potent amplification was one of the most significant sonic improvements in my system.

1 Like

The Michi is 500 watts into 8 and 800 into 4

The Krell was 125 into 8 and 250 into 4

Power is the same, in terms of volume.

But…

The Michi has more dynamics and less bright at higher volumes, vocals and instruments sound more realistic.

That’s the biggest difference what I hear after about a week of ownership.

1 Like

Yes same here, it‘s not about the volume, but much better control of highs / mids / bass - even at low volumes.

1 Like

You must have missed my update (post 727). Nice that you are also getting a pair. As for the placement it very much depends on the room with which you have to work with.
If possible you should place them so that you can create an equilateral triangle with the listening position. They also like distance from the walls. I would say 50-ish+ cm from the front wall and about 1+ m from the sidewalls (if possible). I used an Umik-1 microphone and used REW to scan for room nodes and get the placement of the speakers roughly right.

I then started fine tuning the position by listening. I would say that Amused to Death by Roger Waters is a very suitable album for fine tuning your setup. There are lots of holographic effects and other very refined effects on this album that can sound HUGE when speaker placement is perfected. Toe in is very important with these Accordo speakers and they need a fair amount of it. Some reviewers say this is the difficult part. But imho it’s not, you should just set aside your normal believe about what is considered “normal”. If you do that and start listening they will tell you very well if there is still room for adjustment.

1 Like

Thanks for the update, I did read your previous comments, but they appeared to relate, mainly, to your new amplification. Your positioning comments are very helpful at least I will now know the experimentation required. Your suggested location dimensions will suit my room very well and the Water’s album is one of my test favourites.
Once in the “correct location” I plan to introduce my subwoofer, if required, so I have a couple of weeks or more of experiments ahead. :pray:t4:

1 Like

My setup.
Gato PRD-3S NPM pre amp with built in streaming module and Roon integration.
Power amp a GATO DPA 4004 4 Channel amp (4x400/800 watts). It is setup to bi-amp my Martin Logan Vista Speakers.

The Sound is very detailed and smooth on The same time. The great benefit of bi-amping these speakers is a great soundstage where you can pinpoint everything out in the sound image.

23 Likes

Thanks for the feedback as I’ve been considering their kits…