Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2021 .. 2022]

My new little guest room Roon setup, or the “my wife watches TV” solution…

• Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra
  • Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital
  • Headphones: Bowers & Wilkins P7

23 Likes

A post of my upgraded system in my favourite thread.

• Harbeth SHL5
  • Hegel H30
  • Holo Audio Spring 3 level 2
  • Innuos PhoenixUSB
  • Apple Mac mini i7 2018
  • REL Q150se MKII

Power filter and cables from AudioQuest.
Analog cables from QED.
USB cables from AudioQuest.
Software: Roon and HQplayer.

The Holo is in the ‘burn in’ fase, but already enjoying it immensely.

All cat proof :metal:

30 Likes

Glad you’re enjoying the Spring. My MAY KTE is burned in beautifully now after about 1000 hours. You made the right choice with Holo, just amazing!

2 Likes

I love the cat proofing ideas. :+1:

If we ever decide to adopt again, I’ll have to come up with something to protect my Maggies. :open_mouth:

2 Likes

That the cats are looking in opposite directions could not have been staged much better.

I still love the custom grills.

5 Likes

I thought there was some sort of Hannibal Lecter vibe going on…

3 Likes

Obviously never met my cat’s :rofl:

8 Likes

cat-with-jack-hammer-holds-sign-stock-photos_csp84162538.jpg copy

7 Likes

My first evening with Franco Serblin Accordo Essence….startling detail & instrument location.
Will post better pics in a day or three…

21 Likes

Very nice setup, and very nice cats! But, technically, nothing is totally cat proof :rofl:.

4 Likes

:smiley_cat: Couldn’t agree more, not sure anything cat proof exists

4 Likes

I have a totally cat proof house since it is totally cat free! :rofl:

11 Likes

You’re assuming a cat can’t get in…

8 Likes

Oh cats almost never get in, however those it’s those cute little kittens that one really has to look out for. :smiley:

1 Like

Latest incarnation. Waiting on a new amp coming but it’s a few weeks away yet!

27 Likes

Love the Syncro. My first turntable.

1 Like

Been at it again today with REW, but with the Revel M16’s in the system as well as my Topping A90 headphone amp in preamp mode since I sold my Schiit Freya+. The little A90 is quite surprising!

Anyway, started with just the Revel’s playing by themselves, measuring and adjusting placement of each one separately of course. I’m still getting that 70 Hz peak as I was with the other speakers, but I was able to lessen it some with placement. They ended up about 10" closer to the front wall and about 12" closer together.

After I got the Revel’s playing as nicely as possible on their own, I went back to the left channel only and added in the sub, adjusting gain, crossover point, crossover slope, phase and PEQ. Once that one was as good as I could get it, blending with the Revel, I muted that channel and started on the right channel.

Once each channel was to my liking, I then started tweaking them as a stereo pair. More gain adjustments, and more importantly, more phase adjustments on both subs. Not only are the subs blended extremely well with the Revel’s, but the subs are “locked in” on each other now, something I wasn’t able to do with the other speakers in the system.

I gotta say, this system is sounding splendid right now. With the PEQ and phase on each sub tweaked to the gills, I’ve been able to smooth out above and a little below that 70 Hz peak, as well as greatly lessen the dips centered around those 45 Hz and 60 Hz nulls.

Stage width and depth have improved drastically, creating a more lifelike, involved and enveloping sound stage. That 70 Hz peak isn’t anywhere near as annoying as it was before, and the subs are working together cohesively, not against each other like before. You can easily tell this as the foundation and overall grunt is stronger, tighter and much cleaner now.

Finally, it feels like I’m actually getting somewhere with this system and room. The next big tweaks of course will be room treatments. Most likely, I’ll start with some corner traps up front and a couple absorbers on the wall behind me. After that, some diffusers on the front wall. Lastly, most likely a couple more diffusers on the side walls and maybe a couple more smaller absorbers one the side walls right along side my listening seat.

For now, here’s a few shots and measurements…

All graphs are with both channels driven.

12 dB Smoothing…

Decay…

Waterfall…

Spectrograph…

7 Likes

I really like those stands. Can you tell me what company makes them so that I can get a pair for my Harbeth C7ES3s.

They’re by “something solid”. I think they’re highly favoured by harbeth users, as every pair of harbeth i see in the Uk tend to be on a pair of these.

They do different heights etc, so you can get the C7’s up to ear height.

1 Like

Any reason why you’re using PEQ and not convolution filters? There’s a great tutorial on how to create the latter with REW and use them in Roon here.
I used it and the results are quite nice: