Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2021 .. 2022]

Speaking of Nakamichi… I started out with an LX-3 and RX-303. Now I have a 582 and DR-1. And boy, that 582 is quite the machine.

Back in the day, my father had a 680zx and 682zx, and my oldest brother had a Dragon.

2 Likes

I see you have Dream of The Endless, and his sister, to keep you company!

2 Likes

I’ve got a Sony TC854-4 that isn’t getting much use.

According to Cambridge Audio the CXN processor is not up to it. The V2 had a beefed up processor as one of the upgrades.

I asked them years ago Alas …

1 Like

If you like the 582 you would have loved the CR7e it was a real noticeable improvement on the 582.

The Dragon came in between and was seen as a bit complicated, so the CR7e was an “automated Dragon” things like auto calibration of the actual tape you were about to uses , it recorder a test tone, realigned the heads then wound back to the start ready for off.

I had mine for years until I finally gave up on tape as digital came in

1 Like

Well I have a mint JVC JD-A8 with its "Computer BES*T Tuning System that does all of that, minus realigning the heads. It does an excellent job of it as well I might add.

24 Likes

Playing Roon through my Cocktail Audio N15. Magnepan MGIIIa, 2 Bryston 3B amps (biamp), Bryston 10B crossover, Paras

ound Halo P5 preamp, DP52F Denon, Nak BX125 cassette, Oppo 103 disc player.

22 Likes

Something showed up today!

14 Likes

on the subject of things showing up, my Dave stand finally arrived after 3 months …

22 Likes

Don’t ya need more room in there? Spring 3 runs a little warm. Bet that amp generates heat too.

I measured after 4 hours of continues playback with HQplayer and the door closed.
Room temp is 19°C.
mac mini i7 CPU core temp is 76°C average.

RB00061Y

RB00061X

RB00060Y

RB00060X

RB00062Y

RB00062X

Is it too hot?

2 Likes

A recent move involved some downsizing so the speakers are in storage and it’s back to the headphone setup. . .

Core on MacBook Pro, Remote on iPad Mini.

Streamer is a Bowers & Wilkins Formation Audio. (I tried this with the native B&W app and it really does sound better using Roon : ) Don’t ask me how.)

Everything is WiFi but I only have a small local library (100GB) and am the only resident in the house so no problems so far.

DAC is the Luxman D-N150 CD player and the amplifier is the buddy SQ-N150.
Headphones are Sony Z1Rs.

I upgraded the power and coaxial cables from stock to Furutech / Tellurium Q at Christmas but am not sure where to go from here. . . Any tips or suggestions let me know!

C

16 Likes

does the Luxman work ok w/o speakers connected?

1 Like

Sure, I know a couple of people who just use them as a headphone amp : )

1 Like

I have a small Quad tube integrated/dac (VA One+) that I’ve struggled to find a place for; hadn’t occurred to me to use it just as a head amp.

2 Likes

There’s nothing quite as holographic as a good tube headphone amp. I was using a Luxman DA-250 before and the difference was huge: not necessarily better, just different in a nice way.

2 Likes

Mac mini - Technical Specifications

According to the above Apple spec:

• Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)

If the fan is running fast that would tell something.

And for another, rather major update/upgrade… Some nice, new Magnepan 1.7i’s!

Since these two pics earlier this evening, the Maggies have swapped sides so now that tweeters are on the inside. Lots more tweaking to come over the weekend.

23 Likes

So the Revel’s didn’t stay long. :upside_down_face:

Who you going for at San Remo?

No. I was just borrowing them from one of my brothers.

1 Like