Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2021 .. 2022]

System photos thanks.

Add images

![20220412_084655|666x500](upload://saLr9Qc82w0oMin4tQSEmqhD9yn.jpeg) ![20220412_084707|666x500](upload://mtyHQcyYxUy8vdZ0mMj7fWSkdPH.jpeg) ![20220412_084744|375x500](upload://n85zqcshcUxNIZKAUyNivbT9FmZ.jpeg) ![20220412_084751|375x500](upload://rrbA00OBYwE0a6xhIiq3gS9GfNC.jpeg) ![20220412_084726|666x500](upload://teBslOlBWgiRj4IQUHg8x0CZJgT.jpeg)

Picked up this super mint, fully restored Pioneer RT-1020L from my father over the weekend. This is one of the many reasons why I decided to purchase the Quad Artera preamp as it has what they call an RCA “AUX” preamp output, which completely bypass the volume, so it gets full signal from all of the inputs, including the balanced input. Pretty much like a “tape loop” on old preamps and receivers from back in the day. I have a couple of Ampex 456 tapes, though I have no idea what’s on them if anything. Guess I’ll find out in the next couple of days or coming weekend.

Soon will come another Pangea rack for a couple cassette decks, dbx goodies and turntable, as well as the hunt beginning for some RTR tapes. Also have to get some new interconnects as the Wireworld Oasis ones I have, the machined ends on them are too thick to fit comfortably in the jacks on the Pioneer. Those jacks are just placed slightly too close together.

Anywho, on with some pics…

28 Likes

I still like it as much in this forum!

1 Like

LOL! I figured you would. :rofl:

2 Likes

Vandersteen model 3, correct? Which rev?

1 Like

There you go! (You mustn’t mess with the paragraphs and control text when inserting images)
And a lovely room, plenty of opportunities for enveloping in one’s hobby!

And a lovely record player, i think a Luxman PD-350? Is the Rotel Michi a phono stage?

19 Likes

Hi Garry, the easiest way to upload your pictures is to use the following icon.

Then a finder / explorer window will show up and you can choose the picture you wish to upload.

Just repeat this if you wish to upload more pictures.

Good luck, and I love the setup :smiley:

2 Likes

Thankyou Mikael, and everyone else who has tried to help me sort this. The TT is a Luxman PD-310 with a Magnepan Unitrac arm and Supex SDX1000 MC cartridge with the outboard Vacuum unit, platter has been Silicone filled bought it new and just had it overhauled. Yes the preamp is a Michi passive very rare and above it a Stax CAY preamp and below it an Esoteric P-500 with Audio Alchemy full suite of DAC, PS1, DDI, DPI. My ROON rig is a Nucleus with 32gig Ramm upgrade and 5TB drive installed, Cocktail Audio X45Pro has a 6TB drive installed and a separate NUC has a 2TB drive so music is stored on three devices. The Amphion Krypton2 speakers are very underrated and the addition of the REL 6 stack just has to be heard to be believed it really is that good when setup properly. Anyone who hasn’t heard a Stax headphone with a Stax ED-1 inline is missing the whole point, almost impossible to find these days but addresses all the supposed issues with the Stax headphones. I probably listen 30-40 hours per week sometimes all night both speakers and headphones depends on the mood I am in and I love the ROON functionality and have some future upgrades in that area. thanks again.

2 Likes

Not a criticism, but an honest question.

Apart from the fiddlely knobs and such, why do people want to have reel to reel decks?

The price of recorded stuff is outrageous.

3 Likes

@Charles_Tidwell There is a place called SkyFi Audio that has restored open reel decks among other things. I had a Sony, later a Teac and last a Revox B77. I still have the open reels I recorded. I have a pre-recorded Dolby B version of Jefferson Airplane Surrealistic Pillow.

My 10 1/2" reels are/were filled with jazz so that I could put on continuous music while on dates.

SkyFi has several very nice and very pricey decks. You have a great system.

1 Like

Spending more time than ever in my home office. I’ve also been admiring BDI furniture for a while now. Seems like lots of happy customers here in the Roon threads. Decided to give it a go.

So far so good.

Coworker is not so sure of the new contraption, but eventually settled in for the day of “work” and tunes.

Over the Desk

Under the Desk

Something does not look right

34 Likes

A great working life when your only office mate is a companionable dog. :laughing:

8 Likes

He never gets the first round at happy hour. Other than that I can’t really complain.

13 Likes

Nice speakers, what are they?

2 Likes

Wharfdale EVO 4.1. had them almost a year. I’m very happy with them in this location for this application. Very neutral and I’ve always wanted to try the AMT. Using a Lyngdorf 1120 to drive them.

18 Likes

Looks REALLY nice!

2 Likes

I like that very much!

2 Likes

Fantastic speakers, Anthro. Great setup.

1 Like

You said fiddly knobs… LOL

On a serious note, it’s for all of the like recordings my father did way back in the 70’s and 80’s of pipe organs in various churches, several theater organs, and our very own pipe organ that we built in our own house.

I want to make up some playlists in Qobuz as well, well Roon actually, and record them to tape just for fun, for my own enjoyment. And if I can find some decently priced pre-recorded music/albums, even better. I’m certainly not going to pay the outrageous prices those high end companies are asking for, at $300+ for a single album on tape… The heck with that.

And lastly, I just really enjoy watching a RTR in operation. All modern equipment these days have zero moving parts except for a turntable, and none have good ole’ VU meters in a nice warm amber glow. Plus they give me fond memories from when I was a kid enjoying listening to music on the Pioneer RT-707 that my father had back then.

5 Likes

First off, thank you for the wonderful compliment. I really appreciate it.

And yes, I have hear of SkyFi Audio. I’ve visited their site several times as well as their YouTube page.

If you ever want to give up some of those 10.5" jazz reels, you know who to send them to. LOL

1 Like