Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2021 .. 2022]

Any substance in the theory that a relaxed ‘attire’ could help the audio system also feel relaxed? Therefore, delivering a sound that suits the expectation of the listener :wink:

Back on topic.

1 Like

I suspect that being relaxed in most endeavors, we all get more out of what we are doing.

5 Likes

Expanded on the system today…

Another five shelf Pangea rack

Technics SL-1700 MKII Turntable

Azden GX-50 Equalizer

Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette Deck

dbx 400x Active Program Route Selector

dbx 224x Noise Reduction

27 Likes

@skoell

Heard Gryphon pre and power amps and speakers many years ago at my local dealer, was impressed, definitely worth the wait for you, I was using ATC and Nagra at the time myself so was not in the market.
I quite liked their stying as well as the sound.

For the sub try the Townsend Seismic Isolation Podium, bought some a few years ago after trying various isolation pucs of different manufacturers and it was by far the best.
You buy the one to suit the weight of the sub.

1 Like

I still have tartan trousers and docs……

3 Likes

You missed out the pioneer, what’s wrong with you :open_mouth: :wink:

1 Like

It’s interesting that manufactures of accessories can at times give, what is effectively, contradictory advice. Townsend, who as you know, make some respected isolation devices including for sub-woofers, which isolate the devices from the floor for the benefit of acoustic performance.

Conversely, the REL recommendation is to “lock” the sub-woofer to floor via it’s feet (with spikes for carpet) or using Blu-tack on a hard floor to transfer sound energy from the cabinet into the room.

The HiFi information & practice minefield can be a dangerous & expensive path to tread.

REL Solutions For Hard Floors

That is why I try before I buy, I make my own mind up and ignore reviewers/reviews.
MBL speakers come with spikes as an option but I preferred them without and then tried other options again and ended up with the Townsend.
Some of the other options were cheaper as well as some being more expensive.
Never bought anything Hifi without trying at home.

1 Like

I have used Townsend under large (massive) floor standers. I could not believe how they improved the bass. Expensive experiment though, I tested the theory out with squash balls and a chopping board first and as that went some way to improving the sound I took a punt on eBay.
I find isoaccoustics feet have a similar effect on lighter speakers.

3 Likes

I noticed that with my Sonus Faber Olympica lls spiked through the carpet that when playing with the volume up I could feel the bass vibrating through the suspended floor. I invested in a set of Isoacoustic Gaia 2 feet which solved the problem and tightened up the bass considerably. Money well spent.

1 Like

The Isoacoustics work under RELs too in my experience. I’ve just put some pucks under a T/7X to good effect. They also worked under the T/5x I had earlier.

1 Like

Upgraded my previous setup (Cambridge CXA81 and CXN v2) with the Cambridge 851 Azur series (851N, 851A and 851C) which I bought second hand (half price and only 1 year old). Still hesitating to replace with the NAD M33 but I think I would miss the 3 matching boxes.

Speakers are the Sonus faber Sonetto III which I love and they sound fabulous in this room. Next planned upgrade is some light room treatment with diffusors and absorbers between the CD racks and on the back wall. Room already sounds pretty ok thanks to a digital room correction filter I made with REW. Makes a positive significant impact.

55 Likes

Looks great. How tall is that ceiling?

That Azur Cambridge stuff looks really incredible nice . Beautiful setup.

I have the CXN V2 and CXA81 myself :relaxed:.

@RodS

Thank you! Indeed it’s worth the wait… And the worst is over yet already. I bought the full set together in early February, Focal Stella Utopias, Gryphon Antileon (2x stereo for biamping), the Gryphon Pandora and also the “accessories”: Auralic streamer / DAC, Innuos Server and audioquest Niagara 7000.
Only thing left is the Pandora… Scheduled to arrive within the next two weeks. Can’t wait for it… But the worst is over yet :slight_smile: … only beginning of April everything was setup at my place.

I definitely agree. I think all the Gryphon devices look gorgeous. By now even my wife agrees:)) took her some time though.
And the Antileons sound absolutely breathtaking with the Stellas. So very detailed yet smooth Tweeters, it’s amazing. The natural fit for Beryllium tweeters!
And a bass which can serious hurt the audience if necessary:)

All in all a dream system!

1 Like

21 Likes

No idea what you’re talking about. Sorry… <— Someone has a nasty headache at the moment.

@AnthonyH, not only looking good, but also practical.

I showed the monkey pic to my wife, and she likes the setup so much, so that she wants something like it to replace our current TV cabinet.

This is a pic of our TV in the living room, (not my listening system).

TVCabinet

2 Likes

Your post above showing your system with the R2R and no mention of it.