Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2021 .. 2022]

And Aphex Twin to boot! Nice!

7 Likes

The Final Cut! Greatest album from Pink Floyd! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I bought the Hegel H390 to drive my B/W 702 s2. The Hegel made a world of difference in the sound quality. Fact or fiction, the Hegel sound will improve after it’s broken in. It kinda made sense to me, a break-in period. It turns out, it got noticeably better after several months of listening to it. Even the wife commented on it. Then I bought the REL S812 subwoofer. That also was a major step change in my soundstage. Now, I find myself listening to music for hours on end. The old stuff from the 60’s forward. All sounds better. It’s the listening environment I dreamed of in retirement.

4 Likes

The hegel was really just a temp amp to try until my Gato amp 150 AE turned up.

The hegel sounded nice enough, but had horrendous mechanical buzz, was frankly an ugly black box, and the lack of remote control “standby” was inconvenient.

Nice bit of kit, but not the amp that will be staying im afraid

10 Likes

New speakers again, Talon Khorus with upgraded X crossovers and other upgrades, real Mahogany wood no veneer, no Mdf/hdf , exceptional sounding possibly the best I’ve ever heard at any price point. (end game? Possibly)

24 Likes

Pardon my ignorance. Vadersteen?

They’re the Talon Khorus with the upgraded X crossover and some more upgrades as well. They do resemble some Vandersteens.

3 Likes

And, when the other one was still alive, I had no trouble getting a primetime table at The Ivy - would just phone up, put on a slight Irish accent, and…

2 Likes

A new addition into the Roon setup, currently sat between my Innuos Zen Mini and additional headphone amplifier, just awaiting update to stereo amp and speakers.

Isn’t music just great!

15 Likes

B&W 802D4 are finally here

47 Likes

Always loved the gorgeous Blue McIntosh Lights!!!

3 Likes

your amp has a bit of a mohican hair style going on.

2 Likes

It got that hair style from all the current it’s pushing :rofl:

When you say the amp won’t be staying are you referring to the Hegel or the Gato? or both?!

I’ve had the hegel while I was waiting on the gato amp150 arriving. But as it turns out, I much prefer the hegel in my system. So it’ll probably be the amp that stays

Annoyingly it has a bit of transformer hum, which seems common with hegels, but sound wise it’s superb.

1 Like

H390?
I knew of someone who’s bought the Gato 250 and didn’t like it either, was replaced by a Luxman amp

Heres one for sale :slight_smile: [FS] - Accuphase E-270 Amplifier/DAC-50 | pink fish media

13 posts were split to a new topic: Vibration control? Fact or fiction?

Unfortunately Hegel amps seem very susceptible to DC offset on the mains due to the open, large toroid transformers. You probably know this but it’s easily solved by one of the devices that remove this - I’ve mentioned a few here:

I’ve personally found that if an amplifier has a high damping factor, DC filters flatten the dynamics.

To get this thread back on track, here’s my shop system where I’m testing some original Quad ESL’s. My 2805’s are in the background. The electronics are a rPi4 running ropieeeXL with a Benchmark DAC3 attackedvia USB. That feeds a benchmark AHB2 amp.

This would normally be one of my Roon endpoints, but it’s now an Apple music endpoint since roon has been largely unusable since build 952 came out.

Sheldon

21 Likes