Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2021 .. 2022]

Don’t get me wrong. It did wonders for the Ortofon carts, but it didn’t for the AT cart… Just the opposite in fact.

1 Like

So - if I understand you right - you have to products (A pre-amp for stereo and a receiver for surround? Is the speaker cable than connected to your surround receiver? Sorry - I don’ understand the settings with HT bypass

Thanks for any help :slight_smile:
Torben

Yeah, I was a little unclear and HT pass thru can be, at first, hard to grasp.

HT bypass on a pre- amp lets one use the receiver’s pre-outs as a front end processor and still have one’s stereo amp feed the speakers. In my case, my tube pre-amp is, at all times, connected to my tube amp.

So, in my set up, my stereo tube amp feeds my speakers for the front of a 7.1 system. I let the Onkyo receiver supply the surround and back speakers. The Onkyo pre-outs also feed a separate monoblock amp for the center channel. Of course, the Onkyo also feeds the subwoofer.

Thanks for your help. I just found this video that explains the setup (connections) quit well:

3 Likes

Well it’s rather simple really, your receiver (for home cinema) has at the back most likely several output connections. One of these is something in the concept of “output front left and right” or “pre-out left and right”. You connect these outputs to HT bypass or Passthru inputs on an stereo integrated amp or pre-amp (if you want to use stereo separates). These inputs will transport the signals straight to the power amp section of the stereo amp. The Home cinema receiver will handle all the signals and performs the pre-amping of the front channels. It might be necessary to program lhome cinema receiver that you use a separate power amp for the front left and right channels (most likely this won’t even be necessary, as most receivers detect the connection automatically).
Then when you want to watch a movie or serie you power on the receiver and stereo amp and select the correct input on the stereo amp and away you go. :slight_smile:

1 Like

BIG THX :slight_smile: Now I ““just”” need to find a good stereo amplifiers with HT-bypass (but one that I can control - volume - through an app) :slight_smile:

Rig 1: Simaudio Moon Mind 2 > Chord Dave > Parasound JC-5 > KEF Reference 1
Rig 2: Simaudio Moon Mind 2 > Chord Qutest > Luxman SQ-N150 > Klipsch Heresy I (1975)

Both running off Roon core running on a NUC.

26 Likes

Brent Knoll?

Lovely! (10 chars)

Yes, well spotted :+1:

1 Like

Nobody here is rocking open baffle speakers?

Spatial M4 Sapphire with Lyngdorf TDAI 1120, Rega RP3.

30 Likes

I had an 09 when it first came out many years ago, on an L.P.12
Excellent cartridge as I am sure this more updated one is.

1 Like

If you search the forum for open baffle you will find quite a few.

1 Like

Absolutely…
Spatial Audio TM in black😁

14 Likes

What case/stand is that you’re using on the Rpi/Ropieee display?

Yeah, a lot of folks do. Myself, I rock “no baffle” speakers. Here’s my latest set in the shop with snazzy curly maple trim.

Sheldon

19 Likes

I see rug has been repositioned :wink:

4 Likes

you can thank my dogs for that…

2 Likes

Here you go!!!

1 Like

Glad to know the dogs appreciate symmetry :grinning: